Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 01:21 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
if you'd get on Twitter and the YIMBY/NIMBY/downtown following, then our social media lives would be as one...almost. you're a Clemson guy, not State - right?
I am on Twitter! I just keeping a lower profile on there. I've seen your stuff on there

And yep, I went to Clemson. I don't think I would be living in Raleigh now if I had gone to school now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 01:37 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Nextdoor is not a perfect solution. It's nice and people can be helpful. But you lose your anonymity. I really don't like people coming up to me and saying "Hey zitsky, did you clear up that foot fungus you were asking about?" It's a very different experience asking for help here versus Nextdoor where everyone knows your business.

And I can be sarcastic, but that's different than being mean. I don't need everyone on CD to agree with each other. This place would be pretty boring if everyone were the same. I strongly recommend using the Ignore feature. It's there for a reason.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:43 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
CD is also completely open to the public - whether you're logged in or not. Which is fine, but it wouldn't exist if it wasn't for anonymity. Too many people rightfully worried about their online privacy and safety.

I think CD also gets more hits than anyone even realizes. Tons and tons of lurkers that never post. It's actually sort of strange to think about.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:04 PM

853 posts, read 588,821 times
I've posted some replies to folks asking about something that some have considered "mean." I never meant to be hurtful, but several times I was admonished.

But when a native Raleighite asks a question I consider to be stupid, my reply might be sometimes considered in a negative way. A question like "Where is the best auto shop (or cleaner, or restaurant)?" Gracious, they live here too and know as much as I (and everyone else here) about the area. Geez.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:25 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,754,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post

I think CD also gets more hits than anyone even realizes. Tons and tons of lurkers that never post. It's actually sort of strange to think about.
That’s true - tons of lurkers to read periodically for info, and maybe search also. That’s why I try to followup on threads where someone, or myself, asked about a business, service etc and post whether it was any good or not. Every time thread asking for a rec needs a followup

I also tell many neighborhood people and work friends about City-Data and when I follow up with them they always say something to the tune of, “Great info on that search function but I’m not posting anything because I’ll get attacked.”

Old 08-08-2019, 02:27 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,754,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
I've posted some replies to folks asking about something that some have considered "mean." I never meant to be hurtful, but several times I was admonished.

But when a native Raleighite asks a question I consider to be stupid, my reply might be sometimes considered in a negative way. A question like "Where is the best auto shop (or cleaner, or restaurant)?" Gracious, they live here too and know as much as I (and everyone else here) about the area. Geez.

To be fair, this is not a small area anymore. I have met many native Raleighites who now consider this area to be overwhelming for them. These are more “southern” folks, but can you blame them? There are tons of new businesses, stores etc and all of these suburb towns are expanding. Fellow native Raleighites would have never thought to go to Durham or Apex for the best auto shop in the past.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:32 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,081 times
This really helps improve the signal to noise ratio here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/profi...?do=ignorelist

Back in the day, I helped a large company get started on Compuserve, Prodigy, AOL with non-anonymous message boards. Really helped bring down call center call volume, to help folks fine the "any key", etc.

Steve Case was really a cool guy to meet at AOL HQ.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:34 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,771,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post

Btw, my real name is Pierre Tong, feel free to look me up No anonymity here

I would have never guessed that in a million years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary