Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 08:46 PM

607 posts, read 2,430,328 times

Advertisements

Hey all you boating and wave runner people.
If you could choose which is the nicest lake to take out a pontoon and waverunner on?? Which is the easiest to access, and do either have summer docking?? In otherwords, be able to dock it in the water during summer months???
I have been to Lake Jordan in summer and in the winter, very beautiful, nice campgrounds, but alas, have not yet made it to Falls Lake, and would love to know how it compares.

Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2006, 06:02 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
Falls is just a much much bigger lake. We are close to falls lake access and use it quite often, we have a ski boat and a jet ski. Certain parts of the lake get more access for jet ski's in the summer, and people can be very crazy with them, which I don't like. Because the lake is so huge, you don't ever feel like it is soooo crowded. We tend to go out on sunday mornings in lieu of church and the lake is quite calm and not too many people on it.

There is a marina on falls lake and boats can be docked there, it is a couple thousand dollars a year. Most people tend to dry dock their boats off site and load them in the water every time they want to go to the lake. If you keep your boat off of the lake and you need to park and load the boat, you can buy a pass for 40 bucks a season, or you can pay 5 bucks every time you put it in the water.

I grew up here, and have skiied on jordan, kerr and falls. Although kerr is the bigger, it takes a lot longer. I prefer falls to them all. Of course if I had my choice, I would buy a house at smith mountain lake and go there every weekend!

Leigh

Old 12-21-2006, 06:25 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,405,822 times
I don't do watersports, but as someone who has walked along the lakes, the shore, and swam, I will say the big downside to Jordan was that it seemed muddier. The soils around Jordan are full of more red clay, making it seem muddier than Falls. Well, actually they both have muddy areas, but I found Jordan seemed muddier.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:15 PM

312 posts, read 1,904,589 times
Just curious...are both Falls and Jordan man-made lakes?

Old 12-21-2006, 04:48 PM

823 posts, read 3,921,565 times
I believe that most of the lakes in NC are man-made. There are a few natural lakes in Eastern NC: Bladen Lakes in Eastern NC (Lake Waccamaw), Lake Phelps, Lake Mattamuskeet, and the Great Dismal Swamp. According to Wikepedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Wa...North_Carolina, the Bladen Lakes may have been formed from meteor hits. The more numerous lakes in the Northern U.S. were formed by the glaciers (but of course they never got this far south). By the way, Virginia has only two natural lakes: Mountain Lake west of Roanoke (site of the movie, "Dirty Dancing") and The Great Dismal Swamp.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:53 PM

The marina on Falls lake, is that a marina that you can boat to, and go to dinner, or is it just a little thing to moor your boat???
I think it would be cool, to take your boat there, and have a night out or something. They have lots of lakes like that in South Carolina.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:31 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
Pretty much it is just a marina to dock the boat.........no restaurants on the water here! Although it is a nice idea!!!

Leigh

Old 06-10-2007, 09:39 AM

237 posts, read 914,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
Falls is just a much much bigger lake. We are close to falls lake access and use it quite often, we have a ski boat and a jet ski. Certain parts of the lake get more access for jet ski's in the summer, and people can be very crazy with them, which I don't like. Because the lake is so huge, you don't ever feel like it is soooo crowded. We tend to go out on sunday mornings in lieu of church and the lake is quite calm and not too many people on it.

There is a marina on falls lake and boats can be docked there, it is a couple thousand dollars a year. Most people tend to dry dock their boats off site and load them in the water every time they want to go to the lake. If you keep your boat off of the lake and you need to park and load the boat, you can buy a pass for 40 bucks a season, or you can pay 5 bucks every time you put it in the water.

I grew up here, and have skiied on jordan, kerr and falls. Although kerr is the bigger, it takes a lot longer. I prefer falls to them all. Of course if I had my choice, I would buy a house at smith mountain lake and go there every weekend!

Leigh
accually i looked it up and then called the parks dept falls lake approx. size 12,500 acres... lake jordan approx. size 13,940 acres FALLS is SMALLER>>>>>>>>>>

Old 06-10-2007, 01:10 PM

401 posts, read 1,623,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
I think it would be cool, to take your boat there, and have a night out or something. They have lots of lakes like that in South Carolina.
I think the closest lakes you might do this on are Lake Norman, or Lake Gaston.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cary native View Post
I think the closest lakes you might do this on are Lake Norman, or Lake Gaston.
how far is Lake Gaston??? I know where Lake Norman is, I just don't know about Lake Gaston.

Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary