Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 12:40 PM

4 posts, read 12,899 times

Advertisements

We are about to move into a new house (Raleigh) on a cul de sac, and one of our future neigbors actually has a sign posted on thier lawn next to the curb that says "No Parking/Violators Towed" or something to that effect. Its the only one on the street like that.

Is this legal? i thought the street was owned by the city of raleigh. I understand that parking is somewhat cramped on this particular street, but how would she have exclusive rights to a certain part of the street?

She actually yelled at us when we were over there doing our property inpspection (and wasnt very nice about it). To be nice, i moved my car and didnt argue.

Id appreciate any help or if anyone could point me to the appropriate resource.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 01:44 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbaland View Post
I understand that parking is somewhat cramped on this particular street, but how would she have exclusive rights to a certain part of the street?
You are correct, she can't legally claim a spot on the street. But she can be a bully. I bet she doesn't have any friends among the neighbors.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:48 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,279,805 times
This does not sound legal to me. I would have a chat with her and the neighbors and the HOA to get to the bottom of this.

Sounds to me this person has issues and I would want to address them right way.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:10 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,102,359 times
It is not legal.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:15 PM

43,275 posts, read 77,073,002 times
What's the address? Sounds like a good place for a CityData Flash Mob....

Old 03-24-2012, 02:25 PM

809 posts, read 2,187,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
What's the address? Sounds like a good place for a CityData Flash Mob....

I'm IN. Just let me know where and when.

Seriously, when I see things like this, the rebel in me immediately kicks in and it's probably a good thing I DON'T know where this woman lives.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the quick responses everyone!

Monday i'm calling the City of Raleigh to see what the deal is. First im going to confirm that this is infact a public street and not a private one (although I highly doubt its a private one). I spoke to my realtor and he said that the HOA shouldnt have any say over this matter, especially if its a public street.

I also looked at the municode for Raleigh and couldnt find anything condoning this Municode

Ill keep the flash mob idea in the holster (im serious). Im going to be diplomatic about this first . Just made a bad first impression on thier part and made my wife upset and worried that we're going to have crummy neighbors.

Ill let you know what i find out.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:53 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
She has no standing at all, but I'd avoid it just to not incite problems with what will clearly be an unfriendly neighbor. Might want to let a police officer know, if you are even in casual conversation with one, about her sign.

She could probably achieve the same effect with a nice sign that said "I'd prefer people not parking in front of my yard if you can help it", but she has chosen this path, which as stated above, probably doesn't make her Ms. Popularity in the neighborhood.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:58 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,238,608 times
Actually, the HOA can control the parking on a public street.

We had a previous president of our HOA that decided he didn't like the teenagers parking on the streets in front of their houses. He and his group, got it passed that it was against the HOA rules to park on the street for more than 4 hours.

It WAS somewhat funny as I told my sister that she couldn't stay at my house longer than 4 hours!!! If you knew my sister, you'd understand!

My daughter parked in front of our home a few times and we'd get letters in the mail. I always wondered WHO was watching?!!

As years passed and more folks had teenagers with cars, the new group got the old rule removed.

Vicki

Old 03-24-2012, 03:16 PM

Vicki,
Was this for just in front of the president's house, or for the entire street? Have you seen any instances where a single resident is able to get a measure like this passed (for thier property only)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary