Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2020, 07:49 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,873,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
so I see Gov Cooper wants us wearing masks in our own home when anyone we don't live with is present

https://mobile.twitter.com/NC_Govern...52455182495747
oh the comments...

(and anything to stop the pissing match on the thread)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2020, 05:41 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,583,386 times
"Hospitals and health care workers are strained." -Gov. Cooper

They're not. Health care workers have been and continue to work their normal shifts. Picking up extra shifts is optional. Nothing new there. Hospitals are not overwhelmed. In fact, hospitals are a revenue-producing entity. When they're occupancy rate is below 85% they're losing money. Hospitals want to be near capacity.

Shame on you chicken Coop for fear mongering.

And what I don't understand is if the mandates and lockdowns didn't work the first time why are we doing it all again?

Last edited by underPSI; 11-24-2020 at 05:52 AM..

Old 11-24-2020, 06:22 AM

1 posts, read 575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post

They're not. Health care workers have been and continue to work their normal shifts. Picking up extra shifts is optional. Nothing new there. Hospitals are not overwhelmed. In fact, hospitals are a revenue-producing entity. When they're occupancy rate is below 85% they're losing money. Hospitals want to be near capacity.

And what I don't understand is if the mandates and lockdowns didn't work the first time why are we doing it all again?
Would you grow up you selfish man child and stop trying to minimize a topic that has caused so much pain and likely long lasting suffering for so many around the world. I swear, you are one of the worst posters on this forum and I've about had enough reading your tripe that I had to create an account.

Old 11-24-2020, 06:50 AM

4,557 posts, read 3,759,636 times
Quote:

How do you know? Have you spoken with nurses, physicians or other health care workers working on COVID-19 floors?

Old 11-24-2020, 07:12 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
This is why I (and many others) refuse to take anything you say seriously.
That's because labs operate 1/2 a day to a day behind. There are fewer specimens collected on Saturday, and hardly any collected on Sunday unless one is IN a hospital. If one works for a lab, they often have Black Friday as the company Thanksgiving holiday.

Old 11-24-2020, 08:06 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,342,883 times
Quote:

BS, total BS! Shame on you!

Do you work in healthcare? There are areas in the state where hospital capacity it high and you can bet your --- those workers are strained! Plus, the daily anxiety of making sure you do not bring this home to family is a stressor. Oh and nursing home staff is strained beyond belief. They have not had a break since this started. That is not fear mongering, that is reality.

Old 11-24-2020, 09:11 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
This is why I ...
Positive tests/new cases were down 40%!
Positivity is down for 7 days!
ICU down 3 straight days!
Deaths down 80% since 10/28!

all are facts, right from the website. Lies, damn lies, and statistics I suppose

Old 11-24-2020, 09:18 AM

Meanwhile, WRAL has a blurb on this in the morning Fox channel news

https://www.wral.com/no-a-negative-c...lize/19396029/

Their TV reporting is that any test within 4 days of infection has a 100% false negative rate - that you will ALWAYS test negative. And treat this as current information. That does not appear to jibe with the underlying source however. And the original study was in May

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news...ng-of-covid-19
Quote:
In the report on the findings published May 13 in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine, the researchers found that the probability of a false negative result decreases from 100% on Day 1 of being infected to 67% on Day 4. The false negative rate decreased to 20% on Day 8 (three days after a person begins experiencing symptoms). They also found that on the day a person started experiencing actual symptoms of illness, the average false negative rate was 38%. In addition, the false negative rate began to increase again from 21% on Day 9 to 66% on Day 21.

The study, which analyzed seven previously published studies on RT-PCR performance, adds to evidence that caution should be used in the interpretation of negative test results, particularly for individuals likely to have been exposed or who have symptoms consistent with COVID-19.

Old 11-24-2020, 09:44 AM

1,326 posts, read 725,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Meanwhile, WRAL has a blurb on this in the morning Fox channel news

https://www.wral.com/no-a-negative-c...lize/19396029/

Their TV reporting is that any test within 4 days of infection has a 100% false negative rate - that you will ALWAYS test negative. And treat this as current information. That does not appear to jibe with the underlying source however. And the original study was in May

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news...ng-of-covid-19
I came across that source the other day after searching for info after reading this thread and hearing about so many people traveling and getting together for the holiday. While it's possible WRAL may have have overstated some numbers and the info may not be super current, the overall message seems to line up with what many experts are saying which is that a negative test result, particularly without quarantining for several days before and after, is not especially meaningful.

Old 11-24-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
I came across that source the other day after searching for info after reading this thread and hearing about so many people traveling and getting together for the holiday. While it's possible WRAL may have have overstated some numbers and the info may not be super current, the overall message seems to line up with what many experts are saying which is that a negative test result, particularly without quarantining for several days before and after, is not especially meaningful.
I 100% understand - and expect not everyone does - that a test today may neither be accurate (a real false neg/pos) nor meaningful since you can contract Covid tomorrow. And now I understand that in the first several days generally that the viral load may not be sufficient to be detected by the test.

But I do expect the media to be accurate and transparent. And the government moreso except for national security. And what this story as presented, and much of the info the government is providing, is neither.

If the "message" was a cautionary "Hey, it's cool that you're trying to 'do the right thing' and get tested before traveling, but please understand this doesn't replace social distancing" - great.

For whatever reasons, they (HCP's at CDC/FDA/state DHHS') either don't have a clue and are scared to admit it, or they DO know something and have chosen not to disseminate it, or are ignoring it.

And sadly, not only is neither acceptable, but it seems to a layman like me that they IGNORE it. When 60-80% of a problem is so easily identified (older people & especially congregate living), then the lack of major focus of resources and attention on that readily-identifiable demographic is an abdication of duty to us all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary