Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2020, 05:54 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times

Advertisements

wait, deaths are down from 43 to 9??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2020, 07:08 PM

598 posts, read 333,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
But I do expect the media to be accurate and transparent. And the government moreso except for national security. And what this story as presented, and much of the info the government is providing, is neither.
Well, now it sounds like the CDC is going to reduce their recommended quarantine time after exposure to only 7 days rather than 14, in the hopes that more people will actually do it.

I guess I can understand why they're making this decision, but I wonder if it just will cause more confusion.

Old 11-24-2020, 08:09 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
Well, now it sounds like the CDC is going to reduce their recommended quarantine time after exposure to only 7 days rather than 14, in the hopes that more people will actually do it.

I guess I can understand why they're making this decision, but I wonder if it just will cause more confusion.
Maybe the politicians and those they appoint who make these "rules" will actually start complying too!

Naaaa, who am I kidding.

Old 11-25-2020, 05:55 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,582,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
How do you know? Have you spoken with nurses, physicians or other health care workers working on COVID-19 floors?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
BS, total BS! Shame on you!

Do you work in healthcare? There are areas in the state where hospital capacity it high and you can bet your --- those workers are strained! Plus, the daily anxiety of making sure you do not bring this home to family is a stressor. Oh and nursing home staff is strained beyond belief. They have not had a break since this started. That is not fear mongering, that is reality.

Actually I am. I'm an electrical engineer for a local, large hospital system. I'm not saying the virus isn't real or hasn't caused a great deal of sadness and tragedy. However, what I am saying since I see both sides of it I see there's a lot of fear mongering. It's really sad there's a bad virus that is killing people but the media has pushed mask so much the other steps (the most important) such as social distancing is simply ignored because people feel safe with wearing a mask. I really don't think most of y'all are paying attention. Next time you go to the grocery store step back and just watch people intermingle. They're so impatient or scared to be in public they can't even wait for someone to find their item and will walk right up on them to get theirs.
A hospital is designed to accept patients. Hospital staff are there to manage them. When the staff's shift is over they go home. Some of y'all are acting like the staff stays until the patient is released. Reality is the majority of patients to a healthcare worker are no different than the customers in a checkout line at a grocery store. Yes, there are those few who stand out But does the clerk wait until there are no more customers in the line before they leave? Nope. The customers are simply moved to another line.

So shame on y'all for attacking me when y'all are the misinformed. Please consider getting your news from someone other than pathetic George Snuffleupagus.

Old 11-25-2020, 06:47 AM

4,557 posts, read 3,758,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI;59763494[B
]Actually I am. I'm an electrical engineer for a local, large hospital system.[/b] I'm not saying the virus isn't real or hasn't caused a great deal of sadness and tragedy. However, what I am saying since I see both sides of it I see there's a lot of fear mongering. It's really sad there's a bad virus that is killing people but the media has pushed mask so much the other steps (the most important) such as social distancing is simply ignored because people feel safe with wearing a mask. I really don't think most of y'all are paying attention. Next time you go to the grocery store step back and just watch people intermingle. They're so impatient or scared to be in public they can't even wait for someone to find their item and will walk right up on them to get theirs.
A hospital is designed to accept patients. Hospital staff are there to manage them. When the staff's shift is over they go home. Some of y'all are acting like the staff stays until the patient is released. Reality is the majority of patients to a healthcare worker are no different than the customers in a checkout line at a grocery store. Yes, there are those few who stand out But does the clerk wait until there are no more customers in the line before they leave? Nope. The customers are simply moved to another line.

So shame on y'all for attacking me when y'all are the misinformed. Please consider getting your news from someone other than pathetic George Snuffleupagus.

Got it, so you're an engineer at a hospital so you superficially talk to nurses and physicians and healthcare workers. But you don't directly work on a COVID-19 floor in a hospital; therefore, you have no idea what stress those workers go through on a day to day basis.

Old 11-25-2020, 10:07 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post

Quote:
Federal health officials are likely to shorten their recommendation for how long people should quarantine to reduce the risk of spreading the coronavirus from the current 14 days to as few as seven.

Current Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommendations call for two weeks of isolation from the last contact with a person known to have COVID-19. However, Adm. Brett Giroir, a member of the White House Coronavirus Task Force, said Tuesday that health officials were rethinking that recommendation, citing "a preponderance of evidence that a shorter quarantine complemented by a test might be able to shorten that quarantine period."
For whatever reason they may shorten it, hopefully as indicated it is based on evidence. I'd argue so much of what we're doing is based on initial panic and "best guesses", with only a few significant change in practices - those being wearing masks for whatever benefit they do provide, and medical techniques used to treat patients.

We haven't changed the testing cycles. It is infinitely more valuable to

a. tell people not to get tested if you have no symptoms or haven't com in close contact with someone currently infected (ie, obviously sick). Then we wouldn't have a rate where < 10% are positive. And folks WITH early symptoms that did get tested and came back negative, we might know better a false negative rate.

b. agree on 25 or 30 cycles and stop every test there. These are the truly sick and contagious. These are the ones who need to be quarantined and contact traced. These are the ones to get antibody tests at 30, 90, 150 days to see if & how their antibodies are doing.

c. then run the rest of the tests to 37 or 40 or whatever the scientists agree that detects "you did have it". And ask them if they were sick before, how sick, symptoms, etc. And anti-body test them.

Right now, we are still in shotgun mode, when we need to have shifted to a systematic rifle approach.

Old 11-25-2020, 12:02 PM

498 posts, read 854,456 times
https://twitter.com/robinmonotti/sta...33068184788994

Dr. Scoglio, an Italian doctor nominated for the Nobel Prize, has found another way, besides the high cycle threshold, that the COVID PCR tests are WORTHLESS as they are being used.

The test looks for three genes. Until April, ALL three had to test positive in order to trigger a positive on the COVID test. Then, for whatever reason, "they" changed this to only needing one of three to return a positive.

What is being done in NC? LabCorp?

Old 11-25-2020, 01:47 PM

773 posts, read 646,720 times
Over 1,800 hospitalizations yesterday. The number just keeps going up and up.

The 7 day rolling average for number of tests continues to drop.

Old 11-25-2020, 01:50 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,342,401 times
Quote:
Got it, so you're an engineer at a hospital so you superficially talk to nurses and physicians and healthcare workers. But you don't directly work on a COVID-19 floor in a hospital; therefore, you have no idea what stress those workers go through on a day to day basis.
Exactly!

Old 11-25-2020, 02:30 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,582,663 times
Quote:
Correct. I see behind the scenes. I get to speak to admin and doctors away from the public eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary