Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 07:01 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,276,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakernc24 View Post
People who run Cary think all the dumb rules are important to draw people.
Whatever it is it seems to be working. I don't think people would choose to live in a town that had excessive rules that they were not in favor of. Why do a lot of people that work at RTP choose Cary versus Southern Durham or Morrisville?

Just like any other place, Cary isn't everyone's cup of tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 07:13 AM

1,204 posts, read 778,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Whatever it is it seems to be working. I don't think people would choose to live in a town that had excessive rules that they were not in favor of. Why do a lot of people that work at RTP choose Cary versus Southern Durham or Morrisville?

Just like any other place, Cary isn't everyone's cup of tea.
Cary vs Durham is primarily about schools not the amount of rules. If Durham schools were rated better, I am pretty sure people would choose it over any suburbia. It'll probably be changing as Durham's tax base keeps expanding.

Old 01-05-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Cary vs Durham is primarily about schools not the amount of rules. If Durham schools were rated better, I am pretty sure people would choose it over any suburbia. It'll probably be changing as Durham's tax base keeps expanding.
I think crime likely plays a role as well.

Old 01-05-2021, 08:44 AM

1,204 posts, read 778,886 times
Quote:
I think crime likely plays a role as well.
Southern Durham? I do not think so. It's already pretty popular. If they had decent schools that area wouldn't be easily affordable. It's a bit too cookie cutter for my own taste, but I can see it being pretty attractive place to live - close to trails, shopping and easy drive to DT Durham, RTP or RDU.

Old 01-05-2021, 12:04 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,545,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakernc24 View Post
For a long time wind was a major factor in where wealthy people lived. They wanted to live upwind of factories that might put out bad pollution or smells. That still applies but not as much as it used to.
Privilege accumulates, and has its own inertia.

The upwind side smells better, so rich people move there. Because rich people are there, the institutions that serve them are set up there. As those institutions grow, they accumulate private and public power, which reinforce their primacy.

In Raleigh, the first part of the Beltline was built in the 1960s so that US 1/64, which enter Raleigh from the north/east and exit to the south/west, could bypass Raleigh. They could've been built around Raleigh's southeast side, but traffic was worse on the northwest (favored quarter) side -- where more people were wealthy enough to have cars.

By the early 1970s, North Hills Mall and Crabtree Valley Mall had been built along the Beltline bypass, and benefitted from the drive-by traffic unavailable to the still-unbuilt south and east.

Decades later, when someone comes onto this board and asks "Where should I live that's convenient & expensive?," we still point them to North Hills -- not because it smells better, but because of its accumulated privilege.

Old 01-05-2021, 01:32 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
I can tell you that if you ask any developer or sign company, who has the more onerous sign rules between Cary and Durham, the answer won’t be Cary.

And Cary does have some preferences regarding appearance (though the general assembly took away most of that power for single family developments a few years ago). But if as mentioned, you have a location everyone wants, why not leverage that to get a better looking product. Then even more people want to live there.

Old 01-05-2021, 01:41 PM

36 posts, read 26,316 times
many people who move to Cary from out of the area probably have very little if any knowledge about all the cary landscaping rules, sign rules, etc. They just want a place near RTP and Raleigh in a suburb.

Old 01-05-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Southern Durham? I do not think so. It's already pretty popular. If they had decent schools that area wouldn't be easily affordable. It's a bit too cookie cutter for my own taste, but I can see it being pretty attractive place to live - close to trails, shopping and easy drive to DT Durham, RTP or RDU.
I disagree. I am sure there are many people who look up Durham crime stats and completely write it off because of that. The majority of people coming from a suburban northern town with hardly any crime, are not going to look at Durham IMO.

Old 01-05-2021, 02:19 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
I disagree. I am sure there are many people who look up Durham crime stats and completely write it off because of that. The majority of people coming from a suburban northern town with hardly any crime, are not going to look at Durham IMO.
Agree. Ironically in the northeast it's not uncommon to be ok one street and go two blocks and YIKES. People don't want to ferret out those details when they're moving. They want the WHOLE town to be nice if possible. In the Triangle that's an easy accomplishment without wandering in territory that may seem iffy.

Old 01-05-2021, 02:54 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,165,734 times
Cary has developed quite the reputation nationally as the place to be in the Triangle for transplants. People not familiar with an area tend to look for sections of a town or city with other people from similar backgrounds. This is how places like Chinatown and Little Italy developed in larger cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary