Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 09:45 PM

873 posts, read 1,017,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I disagree. I am sure there are many people who look up Durham crime stats and completely write it off because of that. The majority of people coming from a suburban northern town with hardly any crime, are not going to look at Durham IMO.
Oh please. Durham's population has grown nearly 24% since the 2010 census, according to World Population Review (see link below). The same source finds that the population is nearing 300,000 and that the median age in Durham is 33.8 years, 32.6 years for males, and 34.8 years for females, and the median house value is $207,900, which is much more affordable than Wake. If you don't have children in particular, as HatchChile mentioned, South Durham is a very viable choice many people are making due to recreational opportunities (including Jordan Lake nearby) and ease and convenience in getting to RDU and RTP, not to mention other assets.

This "nobody wants to move to Durham because of their crime stats" is an old canard from the 1990s that should be dead by now. If anything, Durham's main housing problem now is natives being forced out as demand from those including suburban northern towns wanting to buy renovated and new properties.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us...-nc-population
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2021, 05:00 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,276,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
This "nobody wants to move to Durham because of their crime stats" is an old canard from the 1990s that should be dead by now. If anything, Durham's main housing problem now is natives being forced out as demand from those including suburban northern towns wanting to buy renovated and new properties.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us...-nc-population
I didn’t say nobody wants to move to Durham because of the crime - not even close. Re-read my post.

Old 01-06-2021, 05:17 AM

873 posts, read 1,017,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I didn’t say nobody wants to move to Durham because of the crime - not even close. Re-read my post.
I re-read it and here it is again: "I am sure there are many people who look up Durham crime stats and completely write it off because of that. The majority of people coming from a suburban northern town with hardly any crime, are not going to look at Durham IMO."

So I was completely right, and once again, you're spouting an opinion without any basis in reality, much as you have done in other parts of this forum with doubting the severity of COVID-19 in the state. Just give it a rest and move on.

Old 01-06-2021, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
I re-read it and here it is again: "I am sure there are many people who look up Durham crime stats and completely write it off because of that. The majority of people coming from a suburban northern town with hardly any crime, are not going to look at Durham IMO."

So I was completely right, and once again, you're spouting an opinion without any basis in reality, much as you have done in other parts of this forum with doubting the severity of COVID-19 in the state. Just give it a rest and move on.
You completely ignored the 2nd half of my post, but ok.

Old 01-06-2021, 06:10 AM

1,204 posts, read 778,886 times
I think this whole "Durham is dangerous and crime ridden" is lame. I have lived here for about 2 years now, and I feel completely safe. I go for a lot of hikes now, and pre-covid, I used to spend a lot of time in DT Durham. There are parts of Durham that are dangerous, and I am not downplaying that. It's very unfortunate that it has to be like that. Obviously it's the result of decades of terrible policies, systemic racism, etc. But, I really hope the city council and the mayor's efforts will be fruitful. They are taking the road less traveled, so we'll see.

But, if some northerners or transplants think it's dangerous and do not come to Durham, it's fine. I personally think it's the most interesting, authentic and diverse place in the Triangle. If "OMG, Durham's crime stats are awful" is going to keep all the old and scared people of out of Durham, it's fine. They can go to Cary.

Old 01-06-2021, 06:18 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,818,906 times
I just bought a new townhouse in south Durham, I love it here. Close to everything I need and where I work, but not too close to the airport.

Old 01-06-2021, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
I think this whole "Durham is dangerous and crime ridden" is lame. I have lived here for about 2 years now, and I feel completely safe. I go for a lot of hikes now, and pre-covid, I used to spend a lot of time in DT Durham. There are parts of Durham that are dangerous, and I am not downplaying that. It's very unfortunate that it has to be like that. Obviously it's the result of decades of terrible policies, systemic racism, etc. But, I really hope the city council and the mayor's efforts will be fruitful. They are taking the road less traveled, so we'll see.

But, if some northerners or transplants think it's dangerous and do not come to Durham, it's fine. I personally think it's the most interesting, authentic and diverse place in the Triangle. If "OMG, Durham's crime stats are awful" is going to keep all the old and scared people of out of Durham, it's fine. They can go to Cary.
We agree. Different strokes for different folks. Durham appeals more to a younger/single crowd without children, while Cary appeals more to families looking for the suburban experience.

The problem is if you're researching Durham, you're likely looking at some aggregate crime statistics site that isn't going to break it down by area. The numbers don't lie - there's a lot of crime in Durham, but most of it is in certain areas. But a family or single person looking for safe suburbia, and moving down from <extremely low crime town up north> is going to immediately write Durham off once they see the aggregate crime stats.

That was my point to begin with, but somehow it turned into a Durham crime debate. Yes there's lots of crime in Durham, and yes it's limited to certain sections. We as Triangle residents know this, but transplants coming in do not. Maybe there's many who move to a place like Cary and once they get here decide it's not for them, and move to Durham.

Old 01-06-2021, 07:04 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,716,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
the northwest (favored quarter) side
For a time after World War II, there were efforts for Raleigh to expand to the east. Raleigh Country Club (1948) and Wake Memorial Hospital (1961, now WakeMed) are examples. But the north and west won out.

Old 01-06-2021, 09:27 AM

1,326 posts, read 725,077 times
South Durham and West Cary along with Northern Chatham have practically merged together anyway and have much the same feel. The only major difference is the schools of course, but that doesn’t seem to be stopping people with kids from moving into all the new homes going up in South Durham.

Old 01-06-2021, 09:55 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,904,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
South Durham and West Cary along with Northern Chatham have practically merged together anyway and have much the same feel. The only major difference is the schools of course, but that doesn’t seem to be stopping people with kids from moving into all the new homes going up in South Durham.

Gonna have to take more time to really peruse south Durham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary