Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 07:46 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times

Advertisements

What are you people talking about? I'm off Cary Parkway between Old Apex and High House. It's quiet and dark as can be here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 08:52 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times

Here they come y'all

Old 05-08-2008, 09:11 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
I'm starting to realize it is hard to know exactly what they mean when the local news say a "severe storm is going to hit our area". Sometimes the alerts are quite misleading as they lead you to belive the Traingle (as in Wake, Orange, Durham) is going to be hit by a major weather event when in fact that is not the case.

The local news is broadcasted out of Raleigh, but the viewing area for the station is quite large since there is no other major metro area nearby and the surrounding rural counties are served by the Triangle local news stations. So it may be true that a severe storm will hit the "viewing area" but that might mean Granville or Franklin County. Meanwhile the folks in Wake, Durham, and Orange don't see a thing.

We haven't seen an ounce of severe weahter here in North Raleigh aside from 20 minutes of some cool looking cloud to cloud lightning miles away in the distance. Not a single drop of rain and no heavy winds. Based on the pattern of the storm to the west right now I suspect that will pass us by as well and hit counties further to the North.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:25 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
ZZZZZZZZ...the lack of even 3 raindrops is a disappointment to me so I'm going to bed!

This reminds me of when the weather people predict snow. We get all excited, rush to the grocery store to buy our bread, milk and toilet paper and then just wait until we get bored and then off we go, back to work!

Vicki

Old 05-08-2008, 09:38 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Yall just have to keep in perspective that these storms are hit or miss across the "viewing area" which exends all the way into VA! The "viewing area" covers about a 60 mile radius. The storms are usually small, and rarely cover the entire triangle! It can storm in Wake Forest and not even rain in Cary or Clayton. Once you've lived here long enough, you know these warnings are hit or miss. You'll know if a storm is in your area when you open the windows or step outside. My own kids ask me DAILY what the weather is going is going to be. I tell them Ihave no idea and to walk outside and see for yourself!

Old 05-08-2008, 10:27 PM

920 posts, read 2,812,577 times
Yikes! If it does hit the Triangle, stay safe y'all!

Old 05-09-2008, 04:12 AM

Finally got some precipitation here in N. Raleigh around 5am. Nothing "severe" but a good soaking for about 35 minutes. At least enough to fill my empty rain barrel. It is also good that the northern counties were hit to since they drain into falls lake and will keep our drinking water supplies up.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:29 AM

166 posts, read 138,921 times
Default One Dead and 3 injured from tornado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
ZZZZZZZZ...the lack of even 3 raindrops is a disappointment to me so I'm going to bed!

Vicki
One Dead and 3 injured from tornado.

Tornado watches in effect across N.C.; 1 dead, 3 injured in storms :: WRAL.com

Old 05-09-2008, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1NascarFan View Post
It is very very sad that a person lost their life due to a storm. My thoughts go out to them and their family.

That being said, I don't see the connection between a tornado in Greensboro and us here in the Traingle. There is a lot of space between those to areas of NC and they probably shouldn't be lumped together when it comes to weather forecasts.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:06 AM

166 posts, read 138,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
It is very very sad that a person lost their life due to a storm. My thoughts go out to them and their family.

That being said, I don't see the connection between a tornado in Greensboro and us here in the Traingle. There is a lot of space between those to areas of NC and they probably shouldn't be lumped together when it comes to weather forecasts.

The OP asked where were all the storms. The most damage occured in Greensboro. I believe the storms moved in much later than expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary