Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 08:09 AM

7 posts, read 28,166 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocating to NC from MA. Have 4 kids 7-15. Wondering pros and cons as far as Holly Springs. Have looked at 12 Oaks and Holly Glen they are both lovely leaning toward 12 Oaks for lifestyle and amenities but Holly Glen has great "feel" . Also checked out Cary but not as in depth. Like the smaller feel of HS. Concerned about the trek to Apex Friendship for my highschooler..but I guess that can happen anywhere. Any thoughts comments would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 08:15 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tideway6 View Post
I am considering relocating to NC from MA. Have 4 kids 7-15. Wondering pros and cons as far as Holly Springs. Have looked at 12 Oaks and Holly Glen they are both lovely leaning toward 12 Oaks for lifestyle and amenities but Holly Glen has great "feel" . Also checked out Cary but not as in depth. Like the smaller feel of HS. Concerned about the trek to Apex Friendship for my highschooler..but I guess that can happen anywhere. Any thoughts comments would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Have you ever visited? Do you need to be close to anywhere for work or is that not an issue?

Old 05-19-2016, 07:33 PM

Yes. Have visited a couple times checked out area pretty thoroughly, have checked out Cary in the past but most recently looking in and around HS. Not really an issue but likely will be in the direction of Apex, Cary as far as work..we have visited the area about 4/5 times over the past few years..Cary "seems" kind of spread out but it just maybe I don't quite understand the grid layout and how to get around easily

Old 05-19-2016, 08:20 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,266,348 times
Where in MA are you from and what are your reasons for moving?

While Cary is more populated, the convenience can't be beat. If the underlying reason you're leaning toward HS is because you can get more/newer house for the money, then I'd definitely look harder at Cary.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:15 AM

812 posts, read 831,615 times
Why 12 oaks? It is squeezed between the county dump and a nuke plant Also, it would be committing to 540 (toll =$$$) to get out of town and go anywhere. Further, the 55 bypass super-road is a "super-joke" that is choked with horrible traffic during most hours you need to get anywhere in town. Lastly, conveniences are limited mostly to the big chains.... except for Mason Jar Tavern (local joint). BUT, you can get a ginormous new house "cheap".....well, they use to be cheap. Agree with previous post that Cary and (even Apex) is a better location....if you can get by with a few less square feet.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:06 AM

I guess 12 Oaks appeals to us for the family friendly environment with the trails, pool, club and amenities. It appears to be quite charming. The plant is definitely on the list of concerns but then again they are up here too and know many people who are near them without concern, but it is definitely on my mind. I am outside of Boston and looking for a change of lifestyle and better quality of life. In the few times I have been down I have not noticed the traffic build everyone refers too other than late in the day. (stopped at the Mason Jar To wait out, good spot!) I used avoid tolls on gps and seemed to navigate easily around. I may be used to awful traffic up here, that it may not bother me as much OR I may have not encountered yet the worst it can be. We did look at Woodcreek but I hear there is a road going in there and to beware of that. Are there other neighborhoods in Apex to check out? Also checked out Kildare Crossing in Cary, but newer homes there were on tiny lots and maybe because it is so new there it is also hard to envision. If there are other neighborhoods that you suggest, Preston is beautiful, but paying same price and already going in with to do list of updates which is what we are getting tired of up here. Thank you for all of your advice. Much appreciated

Last edited by tideway6; 05-20-2016 at 05:30 AM..

Old 05-20-2016, 06:02 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
Don't be too concerned with the traffic issues. They are on their way to being ameliorated. A new interchange is planned for the Triangle Expressway (540) that will make travel a breeze in a year or two. There is so much growth (everything is shiny and new!) that it sometimes takes a couple of years for infrastructure to catch up, but it does happen. In the further distance future (timeline totally unknown), a new road is proposed to cross US 1 and be convenient to the HS area of 12 Oaks. Go to the town websites to check out what is proposed and underway.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:11 AM

767 posts, read 1,847,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Don't be too concerned with the traffic issues. They are on their way to being ameliorated. A new interchange is planned for the Triangle Expressway (540) that will make travel a breeze in a year or two. There is so much growth (everything is shiny and new!) that it sometimes takes a couple of years for infrastructure to catch up, but it does happen. In the further distance future (timeline totally unknown), a new road is proposed to cross US 1 and be convenient to the HS area of 12 Oaks. Go to the town websites to check out what is proposed and underway.
I live in 12 Oaks. I won't lie, on paper, it doesn't seem like a great location, but, other than peak traffic hours, its very easy to get around with 55 so close. I drive to Raleigh every day. We can zip up to Crossroads in about 15 mins, and Southpoint Mall is 25 mins on 540. We have a detour right now into the nhood as our main road in (New Hill HS) is being widened, but once that is finished, it will be much more accessible and not seem so "out there". Also, construction is starting very soon on the new off ramp on 540, everything is approved and scheduled...that will give us a back way in so you don't have to travel all the way to 55. Should reduce traffic on 55 as well. Slowly but surely traffic issues are being reduced. Hope to welcome you to the nhood someday!

http://abc11.com/travel/process-to-c...esday/1267065/

Last edited by twoisbetter; 05-20-2016 at 07:22 AM..

Old 05-20-2016, 07:12 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,102,406 times
I think 12 Oaks is LOVELY and I'd take it over Holly Glen just because of the Avent Ferry traffic mess! Holly Springs is a great place to live - we've lived there since 2009 and I couldn't imagine living elsewhere.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
I think 12 Oaks is LOVELY and I'd take it over Holly Glen just because of the Avent Ferry traffic mess! Holly Springs is a great place to live - we've lived there since 2009 and I couldn't imagine living elsewhere.
For those living in and around HS, 12 Oaks..do you have or know of anyone who has children at the new AFHS? The new elementary looks beautiful, but curious how much there is to do for young-mid teens in the area? Probably looking at the traditional middle as well, since both elementary and high school are on traditional calendar. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary