Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 03:12 PM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
I'll give you West Cary to DT Raleigh can be a wash with 12 Oaks for "convenience" (25-30 minutes per Google). But, totally disagree with you on drive to RTP vs West Cary. Just Googled the oft mentioned West Cary neighborhood of Cary Park to RTP HQ (center of RTP) and got 15 minutes while 12 Oaks clocks in at 30 minutes. In no universe is 12 Oaks closer to RTP than 99% of West Cary. You mention a 20 minute to RTP from 12 Oaks (north HS) so you must work in extreme southern portion RTP; anyways, that would be a less than 10 minute scoot from Cary Park.

Hey I have no dog in this fight, I wouldn't live in either area. I prefer our central North Cary locale off N Harrison, 15 to RTP HQ and 18 to DT Raleigh...fact...Google map it; oh, and no tolls! "Older" (20 yrs ) house but that's ok with me (huge yard). Also, if you made it from DT Raleigh Convention Center to 12 Oaks in 23 minutes then I want to drive what ever you are are driving! I could make it home in 11 minutes! Fantasy!

Just trying to keep it real to be helpful to others.

Now let the fanatical 12 Oaks boosters rain down their hate on me.
You misunderstood my post. I never said 12 Oaks is closer to RTP than west Cary and of course that would be rediculous to say. I just mentioned that once the new exit comes in, it will be a 20 minute drive to RTP. Maybe 25-30 or so depending on where you're going, but easily 20 minutes when the new exit is built on NC-540
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 07:00 PM

812 posts, read 831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
You misunderstood my post. I never said 12 Oaks is closer to RTP than west Cary and of course that would be rediculous to say. I just mentioned that once the new exit comes in, it will be a 20 minute drive to RTP. Maybe 25-30 or so depending on where you're going, but easily 20 minutes when the new exit is built on NC-540
My bad, as long as people are aware that, from 12 Oaks, it will most likely take them 25-30 minutes to DT Raleigh and 25-30 minutes to the heart of RTP.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:03 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
I grew up in Lochmere and always wondered what would eventually be built there. It is a great location--close to downtown, 40, and 440. They will sell well, but why don't any of the floor plans offer a first floor master? Are they not in demand?
Putting the master on the main level enlarges the footprint, and that makes it hard on tight lots.
But, it does seem odd if they aren't offering any at all...

Certainly, they are in demand.

Old 06-12-2021, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 899 times
Hello. Would love to hear how your experience had been if you moved to Raleigh and any recommendations you have? 12 Oaks does look appealing on paper. We are thinking about moving and have a 9 year old.

Old 06-14-2021, 03:38 AM

176 posts, read 238,984 times
12 Oaks is a great place to live. There are lots of families and actually quite a large group of retirees, too. Many times a family moves there and their parents also end up moving somewhere in the development. Lots of activities with the Club being there and you can do as much or as little as you want. Trip into RTP is at most 20 minutes and depending on traffic about the same into downtown Raleigh. Some schools are capped, but new ones are being built and there is always Thales Academy right next door that many people send their kids to. The worst problem is buying a house. They sell quickly and usually well over asking price.

Old 06-14-2021, 03:44 AM

80 posts, read 53,243 times
Landfill proximity should be considered if you enjoy the outdoors.

Old 06-14-2021, 10:32 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Can someone explain why there are so many golf carts at 12 Oaks? Saw that story about the accident this weekend, they were showing pictures of tons of golf carts that aren't used for golfing (6 seaters and stuff like that). What's the benefit to taking a golf cart versus a car?

Old 06-14-2021, 11:07 AM

821 posts, read 1,461,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Can someone explain why there are so many golf carts at 12 Oaks? Saw that story about the accident this weekend, they were showing pictures of tons of golf carts that aren't used for golfing (6 seaters and stuff like that). What's the benefit to taking a golf cart versus a car?
It seems to be a community-centric neighborhood that is spread out over a pretty large area (visiting neighbors, clubhouse with restaurant, pools, fitness center). Car parking is limited at most spots, so some people may find it more efficient to use a cart. I live in the newer section, and honestly, I'll just take my car .

Old 06-14-2021, 11:12 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest12 View Post
It seems to be a community-centric neighborhood that is spread out over a pretty large area (visiting neighbors, clubhouse with restaurant, pools, fitness center). Car parking is limited at most spots, so some people may find it more efficient to use a cart. I live in the newer section, and honestly, I'll just take my car .
Where do the golf carts park? Do they have separate parking lots for golf carts?

It seems odd to me - to be honest it sorta feels like a keep up with the jones' type thing, but maybe I'm way off. Totally get it if you're an avid golfer and golf enough that it makes sense to avoid the rental fees. Also makes a lot of sense in beach locations where you can avoid getting your car full of sand. But paying for a golf cart to go to my neighbors and the clubhouse seems a bit much to me. To each their own.

Old 06-14-2021, 12:09 PM

821 posts, read 1,461,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Where do the golf carts park? Do they have separate parking lots for golf carts?

It seems odd to me - to be honest it sorta feels like a keep up with the jones' type thing, but maybe I'm way off. Totally get it if you're an avid golfer and golf enough that it makes sense to avoid the rental fees. Also makes a lot of sense in beach locations where you can avoid getting your car full of sand. But paying for a golf cart to go to my neighbors and the clubhouse seems a bit much to me. To each their own.
Can't disagree. I think depending on where you are going, you can park a cart on the lawn (like at the main pool). There are rules, but since I don't own one, I don't know the details. And I guess it could be like owning a motorcycle (which I also don't own!), just transportation at a higher speed in the covered open air. Now I may be making things up .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary