Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Long Islanders in Mebane or Hillsborough, North Carolina transplants, rural and blue collar Mebane, Chapel Hill, South Durham, Wake County, school systems, Durham excellent school district

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 04:50 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
I'm relatively familiar with the Brier Creek Mall section of Rte 70 in Durham. How does the Hillsborough area of Rte. 70 compare to that? We don't get to visit NC much and when we do the SO would rather visit with the relatives than scope out areas for our relocation. I like the area in general and since we live in what might be considered a cross between suburban and semi rural Central NJ I don't think it would be much of a culture shock moving to any area near RTP.
Hillsborough is MUCH more rural than near Brier Creek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 05:03 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
We came here from New Orleans in 1989. Grew up on LI and lived in Hempstead, RVC, and Manhattan.

The big missing thing here is public transportation. Many of the interstates plain stink and are grossly misdesigned. No lighting for those with week night vision.

I always lived in the city of Raleigh since it feels more metropolitan than the more rural areas.

Many decent rental apartments with great amenities. The homes, however, are built under very lax codes, sit on sinking soil, and many times are constructed by untrained immigrant labor.

Try it and rent at least a year to get your bearings.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:12 AM

7 posts, read 23,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
We came here from New Orleans in 1989. Grew up on LI and lived in Hempstead, RVC, and Manhattan.

The big missing thing here is public transportation. Many of the interstates plain stink and are grossly misdesigned. No lighting for those with week night vision.

I always lived in the city of Raleigh since it feels more metropolitan than the more rural areas.

Many decent rental apartments with great amenities. The homes, however, are built under very lax codes, sit on sinking soil, and many times are constructed by untrained immigrant labor.

Try it and rent at least a year to get your bearings.

Hey saturnfan,

I worked in West Hempstead and hung out in RVC quite a bit (small world!)

Old 08-19-2009, 09:36 PM

20 posts, read 41,715 times
I just want to thank everyone for their input. I live in Queens County, NYC and I am SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING moving to the Triangle (haven't decided where yet). Probably looking at Summer 2010 as the move window.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:07 AM

66 posts, read 143,482 times
I just moved here from Manhattan. We have a 6 month old, and she is much happier. We are currently in Durham, but when she gets old enough to go to school, if we stay in the area, we would move to Chapel Hill or North Raleigh. So far, we are very happy with our move! There are lots of friendly people in the area, good shopping, nice parks, and much much less traffic than Manhattan/Long Island. I hope this helps you! You may want to consider looking at North Raleigh/Brier Creek. There are lots of transplants in that area from the NE. Apex is also a close area that is nice and that has good schools.

There is also a lot of very nice, inexpensive housing in the area. You will see that your quality of living gets a lot better!

Old 08-20-2009, 08:26 AM

481 posts, read 1,086,077 times
Depending where you work, Pittsboro is also nice. The drive is about 30 minutes to RTP. I could be wrong, just going by what others have told me. I hear you regarding the schools, we have been really lucky here in Apex. No shuffling going on but I would have to consider moving as well if things got out of hand. We looked into Mebane, it's nice but not nearly as built up as Hillsborough. It felt too rural to me as well. Which is not bad just different, not my cup of tea.

We moved here from NJ 4 years ago and love it! This area as well as Chapel Hill has a lot as far shopping, things to do, family friendly. Just depends what you are looking for. If you want the city at your back door like you would with NYC.... not going to have the same here. Raleigh's downtown is much smaller and while growing you can't try to compare with say Boston, NYC etc. If you want a little slice of the suburbs, tons of families, kid friendly then you will love it here.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:40 PM

441 posts, read 1,291,336 times
We are all in Cary, North Raleigh and Wake Forest.

Congested Are of Relocated Yankees

Old 08-22-2009, 10:24 PM

656 posts, read 1,419,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenr74 View Post
I just want to thank everyone for their input. I live in Queens County, NYC and I am SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING moving to the Triangle (haven't decided where yet). Probably looking at Summer 2010 as the move window.
Like I said, if high taxes are the reason you are moving from new york city, the triangle or NC in general is not the place you should be moving to, taxes are just as high , perhaps a bit slightly lower. Cost of living has risen to, since said you've been in the area for a long time, do you have a mortgage on your residence and have you been renting, perhaps a lower tax state may be better but check with a tax advisory how much it will benefit you typically for people making 200-300k a year. Also last time I checked queens county property taxes are low , granted the homes are more expensive so the property taxes may be higher depending on he home but its usually a low percentage of the value.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:21 PM

20 posts, read 41,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech2enable View Post
Like I said, if high taxes are the reason you are moving from new york city, the triangle or NC in general is not the place you should be moving to, taxes are just as high , perhaps a bit slightly lower. Cost of living has risen to, since said you've been in the area for a long time, do you have a mortgage on your residence and have you been renting, perhaps a lower tax state may be better but check with a tax advisory how much it will benefit you typically for people making 200-300k a year. Also last time I checked queens county property taxes are low , granted the homes are more expensive so the property taxes may be higher depending on he home but its usually a low percentage of the value.
The taxes, like everything else in NYC, are increasing no matter what borough you are in. Even the mayor admitted NYC has a problem as in a city of 8 million people only 40,000 households pay more than half the taxes.

I have a few acquaintances that moved to NC (Charlotte and RTP) that say the quality of life there is sooooo much better. They love it and wished they moved sooner.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:32 PM

656 posts, read 1,419,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenr74 View Post
The taxes, like everything else in NYC, are increasing no matter what borough you are in. Even the mayor admitted NYC has a problem as in a city of 8 million people only 40,000 households pay more than half the taxes.

I have a few acquaintances that moved to NC (Charlotte and RTP) that say the quality of life there is sooooo much better. They love it and wished they moved sooner.
Don't kid yourself, The taxes are NC are just as high and they just raised it in the legislature, quality of life is subjective , now Forbes magazine Charlotte is one of the more miserable cities to live in now, even though highly ranking it just a couple of years now.

Do you have a mortgage on your property, if you are moving to buy a cheaper home , that may make sense but it depends on the income you will receive and the how the taxes will affect you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary