Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 07:12 AM

922 posts, read 750,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
No...it's on the hands of our mentally and morally bankrupt society. No new laws are going to fix that.
You don't know that, and unwillingness to even consider solutions are morally reprehensible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2023, 07:12 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
Quote:
Okay...so we should ban cars & trucks so they can't be used in mass attacks too right..?? How are you going to ban people from making bombs...?? The big elephant in the room here that is continually being ignored is mental illness. No sane and mentally stable person would set out to intentionally kill or harm others.
I really don't get this point you continuously try to make. Somehow you go from regulating guns, which are used at a ridiculous rate to kill people in the US, to cars and bombs. It makes zero sense, other than used as a misdirection like a magician uses to fool people. I acknowledge that we need to address mental health in the US, and it is part of the problem, but to pretend that the massive number of guns in the US isn't also part of the problem is perplexing.
Quote:
You can ban all the assault rifles you want but that doesn't mean the mass attacks will stop unless the real issue of rampant mental illness is also addressed. But the knee-jerk reaction from the left is to always come after the guns while they ignore everything else and still can't see the forest because of the trees.
Why is it one or the other? Both need to be addressed. And please explain to me the need for people to own assault rifles, as they seem to be the weapon of choice in mass school shootings and other mass killings.

Old 03-31-2023, 07:13 AM

Quote:
We did not get to where we are as a society over night and there is no quick fix solution...that is a fact.
Again, more nonsensical straw man arguments. I never said there was a quick fix. But all know that doing nothing only leads to more slaughter. Its nice that you're ok with that.

Old 03-31-2023, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Oh here we go with the "uneducated person" argument.
As for the rest of it, you're entitled to your opinion since this is America.
Well, if the shoe fits...and it certainly does in this case. And the "rest of it" isn't opinion, its fact.

Old 03-31-2023, 08:02 AM

5,457 posts, read 6,049,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
So I'd love to hear your brilliant solution. I'll wait. Meanwhile the blood of dead children is on your hands.
Did you read my post, or just get your hackles up for a canned response? Nothing brilliant about me. (standardized testing has proven it during my school years) No solution from my end either if you'd take a second to re-read and digest it.

I noticed you quickly washed your hands of the blood of dead children. Sleep well my friend in your bed of righteousness.

The solution is complex....... People are involved, not a measurable nor easily solved problem. Take off the blinders and look at all sides of the issue.

This is not a which came first, the chicken or the egg conundrum. The answer is clearly PEOPLE...... they came first, they invented guns, they use guns. Guns just lay there, either on a closet shelf, nightstand drawer, or behind lock and key/combination as they should be.

Old 03-31-2023, 08:24 AM

4,168 posts, read 4,879,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Did you read my post, or just get your hackles up for a canned response? Nothing brilliant about me. (standardized testing has proven it during my school years) No solution from my end either if you'd take a second to re-read and digest it.

I noticed you quickly washed your hands of the blood of dead children. Sleep well my friend in your bed of righteousness.

The solution is complex....... People are involved, not a measurable nor easily solved problem. Take off the blinders and look at all sides of the issue.

This is not a which came first, the chicken or the egg conundrum. The answer is clearly PEOPLE...... they came first, they invented guns, they use guns. Guns just lay there, either on a closet shelf, nightstand drawer, or behind lock and key/combination as they should be.
Exactly....it is a very complex issue, but you'll never convince them that passing more gun control laws alone will not fix this because they refuse to look at the bigger picture.

Old 03-31-2023, 08:31 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Okay...so we should ban cars & trucks so they can't be used in mass attacks too right..?? How are you going to ban people from making bombs...??
There are some trucks that absolutely should be banned because they are dangerous - there are some with large front blind spots where children cannot be seen over the front.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/14/2...-death-wthr-13

"To demonstrate just how dangerous these front blind spots can be, WTHR 13 reporters had children sit in a line in front of a Chevy Tahoe and a Cadillac Escalade until their respective drivers could see them. It took nine children before the owner of the Chevy Tahoe could see the tops of their heads, while the Cadillac Escalade took 13 children."

So similar concept - trucks can be a useful tool, just like guns. But there need to be common sense restrictions put into place.

Old 03-31-2023, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
There are some trucks that absolutely should be banned because they are dangerous - there are some with large front blind spots where children cannot be seen over the front.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/14/2...-death-wthr-13

"To demonstrate just how dangerous these front blind spots can be, WTHR 13 reporters had children sit in a line in front of a Chevy Tahoe and a Cadillac Escalade until their respective drivers could see them. It took nine children before the owner of the Chevy Tahoe could see the tops of their heads, while the Cadillac Escalade took 13 children."

So similar concept - trucks can be a useful tool, just like guns. But there need to be common sense restrictions put into place.
No disagreement form me on this one....I hate lifted trucks and jeeps with the big tires because they tend to throw rocks and other road debris at cars plus the visibility issues you mentioned. Florida had a law requiring the bumper height on lifted trucks to be the same as factory stock height because the lifted trucks were running over the top of cars in crash accidents. I'm not sure if NC has something similar but I think not based on trucks that I see on the roads.

Old 03-31-2023, 10:21 AM

180 posts, read 96,715 times
Quote:
Exactly....it is a very complex issue, but you'll never convince them that passing more gun control laws alone will not fix this because they refuse to look at the bigger picture.
mkay.

Many gun control advocates not only look at the big picture, but understand much of what's in the big picture.

Sure, there are societal problems in the US. Are problems worse than some developed countries.....for certain categories sure. Is it so much worse that it explains the massive increase in the number of the innocents killed compared to other developed countries. Absolutely not.

Old 03-31-2023, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN56T View Post
mkay.

Many gun control advocates not only look at the big picture, but understand much of what's in the big picture.

Sure, there are societal problems in the US. Are problems worse than some developed countries.....for certain categories sure. Is it so much worse that it explains the massive increase in the number of the innocents killed compared to other developed countries. Absolutely not.
Well if so then they have a very poor way of communicating that they understand the big picture. All I hear in the immediate knee-jerk reaction is lets take their guns away, lets sue the gun manufactures, etc. Mental health issues and video game violence is seldom mentioned if ever. It's always "the guns".

The media also needs to stop making martyrs out of these killers that gives them the national publicity attention they desperately seek which can lead to more copy-cat monkey see monkey do mass killings, but no one ever thinks about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary