Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2023, 01:00 PM

426 posts, read 223,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
I dislike what's going on these days, but bear in mind: some of us remember when "democracy" often excluded people who could not pay a poll tax, people under 21 (old enough to be drafted for combat but not old enough to vote), and most particularly people of color. My grandparents remembered when "democracy" excluded women. Owning real estate was often a requirement for voting; tough luck, white sharecroppers. This game is as old as the concept of democracy itself.

Democracy in these United States has always been a conditional proposition. Perhaps it will be more conditional in the next election than it was in the last election. The trend has been to reduce conditionality but it's always been a two-steps-forward-one-step-back matter.
Yet we somehow offer the slogan “First in Freedom” as an option on our license plates. (sigh)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2023, 01:45 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,709,378 times
The word "freedom" never appears in the Declaration of Independence. The word "free" does, 5 times, but only one of those refers to people. Nor does the word "freedom" ever appear in the original Constitution. The word "free" occurs only once -- ironically, in the three-fifths clause. You have to go into the Bill of Rights for explicit freedoms.

Old 05-01-2023, 01:59 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,056,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppyHeel View Post
Yet we somehow offer the slogan “First in Freedom” as an option on our license plates. (sigh)
I burst the F out laughing at the License Plate "store" when I moved here over that very plate option.

"Which plate option do you want sir? First in Flight? First in Freedom?"

"Bahahahahahahahahahahahaha what?! First in Freedom?"

"Yes"

"Ummm didn't y'all, you know, try and leave and then when reality set in, come back? Seems like anything prior to that sorta becomes irrelevant."

Old 05-01-2023, 04:26 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
The headline is so dramatic. It is funny.

NC is a fantastic state. People are rushing here. We have multiple cranes in our sky's because of the booming economy we have. There is so much opportunity for my family. NC is very successful compared to most other states of the nation and has been for decades. Something must be working right around here.
That can slow down at any time. Companies put plans on hold during HB2 and it can happen again. Who then will be paying for all the rural republicans to have services?

Old 05-01-2023, 08:24 PM

30,614 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
You are assuming that republicans were evenly distributed across the state, which isn't true. They were heavily concentrated in the western part of the state. There was no way for repubs to make up 40% of the congressional delegation due to this. Thats not gerrymandering. Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

And again, I'll say that whether or not gerrymandering occurred in the past is irrelevant to whether it should be occurring today. Whataboutism isn't an excuse.
Nobody claimed that 40% of the congressional seats had to be GOP. The point is that more than 0-2 should have been Republican in those years under fair districts. And when you think about it, the fact that Republicans aren't weren't evenly distributed across the state actually further discredits your argument. Consider this: If voters accounting for 40% of the popular vote in a state with 11 or more US House seats are heavily concentrated within one general area, you'd expect more than 0% or 9% or 18% of congressional seats in the state to go to candidates backed by those voters in a system that allocates congressional seats based on population (and requires proportionate and equal representation across districts). It would be different if GOP voters were more widely spread around the state and the legislature, thus, couldn't faithfully draw additional GOP seats at risk of creating extreme, weirdly configured (non-compact) districts that courts at the time had disfavored on multiple occasions. But, by your own admission, that wasn't the case in NC.

It's really interesting that you actually think (despite all the evidence to the contrary, to include evidence that has shown many of your earlier statements to be completely and utterly false, such as "everyone being a Democrat" in NC and, thus, no need to gerrymander) that Democrats in the NCGA would not draw maps to maximize their partisan power at the expense of the political opposition. That would be a first in the history of politicians drawing maps in this country!

Moving on, whataboutism isn't an excuse. But hypocritical outrage over matters when the shoe is on the other foot makes arguments today fall on deaf ears as it shows that many don't actually care about partisan gerrymandering as a concept, but rather only when it disfavors their partisanship. Again, I don't bring up this point to justify partisan gerrymandering one way or the other, but to shine the light on hypocritical outrage.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 05-01-2023 at 09:04 PM..

Old 05-01-2023, 08:44 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,209,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I burst the F out laughing at the License Plate "store" when I moved here over that very plate option.

"Which plate option do you want sir? First in Flight? First in Freedom?"

"Bahahahahahahahahahahahaha what?! First in Freedom?"

"Yes"

"Ummm didn't y'all, you know, try and leave and then when reality set in, come back? Seems like anything prior to that sorta becomes irrelevant."
It's a reference to the Halifax Resolves, a bit of a reach, sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Resolves

I'm not sure I follow your logic of secession erasing the history of our revolution.

Old 05-02-2023, 05:51 AM

919 posts, read 745,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Nobody claimed that 40% of the congressional seats had to be GOP. The point is that more than 0-2 should have been Republican in those years under fair districts.
And in fact, the 91st, 92nd, 93rd and 97th congresses had 4 repubs. The 99th had 5. By the 104th, 8 of the 12 were repub. As the republican party grew in nc, it gained outsized influence, yet according to you was being heavily gerrymandered by the dems. Huh?

Quote:
when you think about it, the fact that Republicans aren't weren't evenly distributed across the state actually further discredits your argument. Consider this: If voters accounting for 40% of the popular vote in a state with 11 or more US House seats are heavily concentrated within one general area, you'd expect more than 0% or 9% or 18% of congressional seats in the state to go to candidates backed by those voters in a system that allocates congressional seats based on population (and requires proportionate and equal representation across districts). It would be different if GOP voters were more widely spread around the state and the legislature, thus, couldn't faithfully draw additional GOP seats at risk of creating extreme, weirdly configured (non-compact) districts that courts at the time had disfavored on multiple occasions. But, by your own admission, that wasn't the case in NC.
Your logic escapes me. If districts have to be compact then how does one create republican majority districts where there are few republicans?

Quote:
really interesting that you actually think (despite all the evidence to the contrary, to include evidence that has shown many of your earlier statements to be completely and utterly false, such as "everyone being a Democrat" in NC and, thus, no need to gerrymander) that Democrats in the NCGA would not draw maps to maximize their partisan power at the expense of the political opposition. That would be a first in the history of politicians drawing maps in this country!
Its not about what I think, its about facts and reality. Are you denying that from the early to mid 20th century NC was not overwhelmingly democratic? You actually think tens of thousands of north carolinians were eager to vote republican during the great depression?

Quote:
Moving on, whataboutism isn't an excuse.
Then stop using it as one.

Old 05-02-2023, 05:52 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,056,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
It's a reference to the Halifax Resolves, a bit of a reach, sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Resolves

I'm not sure I follow your logic of secession erasing the history of our revolution.
I did ultimately look up what it references.

As for my logic. If you’re in a marriage, get divorced, get married again, that collapses, and you crawl back to your original partner…not sure you get to claim your original anniversary on state license plate….something like that.

Old 05-02-2023, 07:54 AM

1,462 posts, read 658,580 times
Well, I will say that I'm glad that we were able to vote in Democratic Governor Roy Cooper and Attorney General Josh Stein. Ask yourself this:Would the NC GOP have gotten behind the policies of a DeSantis-like Republican Governor?

Old 05-02-2023, 07:56 AM

233 posts, read 236,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Ask yourself this:Would the NC GOP have gotten behind the policies of a DeSantis-like Republican Governor?

We'll find out next year when Mark Robinson runs for governor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary