Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 04:08 PM

5 posts, read 14,713 times

Advertisements

I noticed a thread a few days back about St. Michael's parish school. Does anyone have any input or experience with Cathedral or Our Lady of Lourdes schools (I know they're both Blue Ribbon). We currently pay $2,500 a year for our son to attend a Catholic grade school in NE Ohio, but we have noticed a lot of the Catholic grade schools in the Diocese of Raleigh are double that. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 04:34 PM

60 posts, read 227,461 times
Hi! I just wanted to let you know in case you didn't that if you know when you are moving and what schools you are interested in make sure you apply early. We had gone on a tour in February at St Raphael's in Raleigh that we were interested in and at the end of the tour we stopped in the office and they informed me that several of the classes were full and they could put us on a waiting list. Our Lady of Lourdes and Cathedral school also had waiting lists. I've been told that sometimes it is easier to get older kids in. I have heard and read great reviews on both schools but I don't know anyone personally that goes there. I have also heard good things about the Franciscan school. Good Luck to you!

Old 06-03-2008, 05:00 PM

5 posts, read 14,713 times
[quote=OceanMia;3978032]Hi! I just wanted to let you know in case you didn't that if you know when you are moving and what schools you are interested in make sure you apply early. We had gone on a tour in February at St Raphael's in Raleigh that we were interested in and at the end of the tour we stopped in the office and they informed me that several of the classes were full and they could put us on a waiting list.

Oh yes, I was told this, but I forgot to mention that in my first post. We would have one child going into the 3rd grade and another into Kindergarten. Thanks for the info.!

Old 06-03-2008, 06:11 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,436,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr2911 View Post
I noticed a thread a few days back about St. Michael's parish school. Does anyone have any input or experience with Cathedral or Our Lady of Lourdes schools (I know they're both Blue Ribbon). We currently pay $2,500 a year for our son to attend a Catholic grade school in NE Ohio, but we have noticed a lot of the Catholic grade schools in the Diocese of Raleigh are double that. Thanks!
The "in parish" rate at OLLS is $4350.00 for the 2008-2009 school year. In order to qualify for in parish rate - you need to make financial contributions to the parish - in the 1,000/year range. Also, new families are expected to make a capital contribution toward paying off debt (school).

There is a different rate (higher) for out of parish, and even higher yet for non-catholic. Its all on the school web site - olls.org under admissions.

When my daughter started school there in 1998, the tuition was $1700 a year. It was actually cheaper than half day preschool.

Somebody can chime in, but I think OLLS is a bit cheaper than the other schools, b/c OLL church helps with utilities, repairs and some other expenses.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:48 PM

168 posts, read 349,981 times
Schools like St. Michaels and St. Mary Magdalene are still paying for their buildings and facilities so the tuition is higher because of those costs.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcap98 View Post
Schools like St. Michaels and St. Mary Magdalene are still paying for their buildings and facilities so the tuition is higher because of those costs.
OLLS is still paying off their new buildings too... that is why they require a capital contribution when new families enroll at the school. I know OLL church gives a lot of financial support to the church. Its a relative deal for OLL families to attend OLLS.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:12 PM

19 posts, read 53,910 times
we moved here last year from kansas city and send our kids to OLL It is a great school...Cathedral is much smaller and is downtown, i know it is a good school too! We are moving to Charleston, SC We have a great house for sale in north ridge about 15 min for Lourdes!

Old 06-04-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan17 View Post
we moved here last year from kansas city and send our kids to OLL It is a great school...Cathedral is much smaller and is downtown, i know it is a good school too! We are moving to Charleston, SC We have a great house for sale in north ridge about 15 min for Lourdes!
Are they still requesting a new family "pledge" to the building fund/retire school building debt? The new school (K-4) - middle school uses old building must be at least 10 years old. You could pledge over several years if needed.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:57 AM

80 posts, read 231,951 times
We have 1 child at Cathedral and are parishioners there as well. Here are my bullet points:

* There is a different rate for parishioners/non-parishioners, largely because the parish helps underwrite some cost of the tuition. That contribution can be money and/or time/talents.

* I call Cathedral the old school school. We're in downtown Raleigh; the building is not new (though it is well-maintained) and we don't have a gym. There are approx. 400 students in K-8. Only 1 class per grade. My son's kindergarten class had 25 students with 1 teacher and 1 teacher assistant.

* The school teaches the basics---there aren't a huge number of "specials". That changes somewhat in the upper grades.

* The school does well in the standardized testing it does, though teachers aren't focusing months upon months teaching to a test.

* The middle school kids have done very very well the last several years in the Science Olympiad.

* The principal is excellent and very responsive.

* The parish is very dynamic.

* The school is pretty diverse---both economically and racially. That is a big plus for us.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbear View Post
We have 1 child at Cathedral and are parishioners there as well. Here are my bullet points:

* There is a different rate for parishioners/non-parishioners, largely because the parish helps underwrite some cost of the tuition. That contribution can be money and/or time/talents.

* I call Cathedral the old school school. We're in downtown Raleigh; the building is not new (though it is well-maintained) and we don't have a gym. There are approx. 400 students in K-8. Only 1 class per grade. My son's kindergarten class had 25 students with 1 teacher and 1 teacher assistant.

* The school teaches the basics---there aren't a huge number of "specials". That changes somewhat in the upper grades.

* The school does well in the standardized testing it does, though teachers aren't focusing months upon months teaching to a test.

* The middle school kids have done very very well the last several years in the Science Olympiad.

* The principal is excellent and very responsive.

* The parish is very dynamic.

* The school is pretty diverse---both economically and racially. That is a big plus for us.

Do they offer a lot of tuition help?
The average private school tuition is starting to get out of hand for a lot of people. I wouldn't exactly call OLLS either economically or racially diverse.
How old is your child? One class per grade is rough (more so after around 4th grade) since they can't mix up the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary