Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,969 times

Advertisements

Hey guys i miss the good ol days of power company. I was a male stripper on sundays and tuesdays from 1996 to 97. Some great times on that lower level and good money. I miss that type of bar. The internet has killed the Gay bar in most areas now and i miss the good 90s dance music. Power company will always be my favorite gay bar for life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 04:27 PM

2 posts, read 4,969 times
Good music from: Cher, Debohra Cox, Crystal Waters, Amber and so many others made for a good night for stripping and some fun Friday nights on the big dance floor on the main level. If anyone has pictures from that time period i would be glad to pay u for copies.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:51 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Hey, does anyone know how I could get a copy of the videos made by WKFT 40 for the Electric Factory dance show that held its' video shoot at the Power Company from 1990 - 1992? I used to dance on the show and would love to see one of the old shows again.
I think the pretty obvious resource there is to contact WKFT directly; they're the ones who would have the tapes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Villanni View Post
Good music from: Cher, Debohra Cox, Crystal Waters, Amber and so many others made for a good night for stripping and some fun Friday nights on the big dance floor on the main level. If anyone has pictures from that time period i would be glad to pay u for copies.
If you are on facebook, there is a private group for folks who remember the Power Company. PM me and I will get you added.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,459 times
I worked as a male stripper in 1996 and 1997 at the power company. I miss the people and the music . The basement was great and had a terrific fireplace to warm your half naked butt by during winter months. The crowd was always happy to be there and you didnt get as much attitude and drama like you do from todays younger gays. And i dont remember everyone being on so many drugs like today. And thank god there was no grindr or i phone apps in the 90s because the gay club experience was better then without those distractions. And who doesnt miss hearing cher, deborah cox, crystal waters, and some of the other great dance song divas of the 90s. I miss power company no other gay club has made the mark like it did in nc. And im finding few around the country to be much better. Too bad someone couldnt get that building back and give it another try. If anyone has pictures of the club or events during the 90s let me know and i will be glad to purchase. Rvillanni @ yahoo.com

Old 09-15-2011, 09:12 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,179,883 times
This post makes me very, very happy. It seems to have taken an odd little detour, but time to get back on track.

I remember:

*Those singing bears at South Square at Christmas. One year I worked at Hickory Farms, and our store was right next to them - they nearly drove me INSANE!
*When there was a Piggly Wiggly in Durham (I wish there was still one in the city, or even the Triangle)
*The Red and White "Supermarket" (a TINY store with wooden floors) over like you're going to South Square
*Skate-Inn skating rink over near South Square
*Since I'm mentioning so many things "near" South Square, how about SOUTH SQUARE? Boy do I miss it. I don't think I ever made peace with it being torn down, the new stuff looks like Moderator cut: language, and Southpoint is nice, but it's shiny, sterile gleaming-ness can't replace SS.
*When Oprah came to town, and sponsored the "Durham vs Raleigh" weight-loss competition - I was so disappointed when Durham didn't win!
*"County" schools and "City" schools - they had completely different schedules, started and ended at different times,and City schools often didn't get snow days off for some reason.
*When WTVD was the "Durham" station, and their newscasts consisted of "Durham" news. WRAL was the "Raleigh" station. That seems funny now, especially given how small we were back in the day - how did they fill newscasts catering to one city?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-16-2011 at 09:59 AM..

Old 09-15-2011, 10:21 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
There is a FaceBook Group called "You know you are from Durham When..."
Fun trip down memory lane.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:56 PM

365 posts, read 1,208,109 times
It's not going back very far, because I didn't live in Durham until the late 90's, but I miss Katie's Pretzels in Northgate so much!

Old 09-17-2011, 05:58 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy B. View Post
Live in Durham? Lived in Durham?

Share your stories and take a fond look back on the Bull City!
I never lived in Durham, but I have a lot of fond memories of going there.

I remember going to Durham in the 1950's with my dad to sell tobacco in the district. I'll never forget the smell of fresh tobacco.

Like others, I loved the hotdogs from Andy's. I ate a lot of them when I visited my brother in the late 60's and early 70's.

I remember playing the old Durham High School in athletics the 60's. They were a power house in a power house conference. They were a member of the NC Eastern 4A Conference including Wilson, Fayetteville, Raleigh Broughton, Jacksonville, Goldsboro, Rocky Mt., New Hanover, and a young Raleigh Enloe.

I loved the DAP. We lost our ballpark in the 70's, and I eventually found my way to Durham to become a Bulls fan. I always enjoyed sitting with the crowd on the third base side....close to the beer stand

Old 09-18-2011, 10:45 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootie the Brave View Post
It's not going back very far, because I didn't live in Durham until the late 90's, but I miss Katie's Pretzels in Northgate so much!
Me too! When I worked at Northgate I would always get a limeade or mix the lemon and lime. And of course get a pretzel on occasion. The other chains just don't compare.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:47 PM

3 posts, read 4,532 times
Wow, I have enjoyed reading all the memories of others which I remember several as well!! I get upset when others (like Bob on The Showgram) talk of Durham in such an awful negative way but seemed to love it when he was being treated at Duke. Don't get me wrong, I am a Bob Person and thats the one and only thing I have to change the channel when I hear him describe Durham. Ive been here 40 years and never been broke into, robbed, beat up or even shot!
I remember the Orange-Aids across from Angier Ave. Baptist, "Skate Inn" near the old "South Square"..Cruising around Willowdaile when Starbucks used to be Burger King and Harris Teeter used to be the movie theater. I remember when they built the McDonalds on the corner of 54/55 and Parkwood was the place to hang out! The smell of tobacco going thru downtown, and always avoiding downtown after dark. Recently, I lived in one of the renovated Warehouses (West Village) for 6 months, what a huge positive change! Morgan Imports has always been there and I used to stock my sticker album from their great selections. The wonderful community driven Friday night High School Football games! When they widened Guess Road and took everyone's front yard..but kept the 35mph speed limit? Eating the Freeze Dried Ice Cream at the Museum of Life and Science, The Cruz-n-Park, which is now Wheels, The original Durham Ball Park, the Putt Putt on Roxboro Road and who could forget Streamers?! I remember partying in the Hilton when the club was called Blue Chips. Also, When they used to release hot air balloons on side of 85 near Hillandale Road exit. When WTVD played Durham news instead of Fayetteville news, There are so many more memories. Im proud to have grown up in Durham and proud of all the positive things happening and the great people moving in! For some reason, some people only hear the bad things that have happened in the Bull City when, in fact the good things have outweighed those bad things. I could keep typing but you get the drift!
Oh, And everytime I went out of town and said I was from Durham people would respond, "You mean Raleigh-Durham?" and I would always have to explain that. Not to mention you can drive to coast in couple of hours or blue ridge mountains the other way in 3 hours.
Just my 2 cents and how much I love how much Durham is improving, but to me it's always been special, it's just getting better!
Ending note: I love the showgram but I wish Bob could give Durham a little slack, it's deserved.
Go Bulls, Devils, Eagles, Pirates, Spartans, Knights, Falcons, and the mascots of NCSSM & Durham Sch of Arts!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary