Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

City government: North Carolina, taxes, webmaster, insurance rates, downtown.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 10:01 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
I would love to see how much money Durham brings in per-capita in property taxes compared to the surrounding communities (and I'm talking about actual dollar amounts, not just the rate). Anybody know where we could find info like that?
MrsSteel--

Best bet to get those numbers is from the John Locke Foundation. Much as I distrust their agenda, I give them credit for doing the occasional piece of good public policy research.

I believe the latest version of the document with these data is their By The Numbers 2008 report (John Locke Foundation | By The Numbers: What Government Costs in North Carolina Cities and Counties FY 2006)

Durham: $740.60 prop tax per-capita (#9 in state)
Wake: $619.61 (#20 in state)
Orange: $844.58 (#7 in state)

Combined city/county: Durham $1,193 per-capita, Raleigh $989, Cary $1,061, Chapel Hill $1,371, Charlotte $1,379.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 11:22 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welovedurham View Post
Where else have you lived in the US? The diversity of opportunities for recreation here is amazing. We never, ever run out of things to do.

(I agree that the parks in SW Durham need refreshing or expansion, but that is all in the works if you look at the city's plans for that.)
I try not to compare the Durham parks to where I lived before. Portland Parks & Rec is amazing and is often used as a model for other muncipalities of similar size. It's unfair to Durham if I compare the two. The city sizes and economic histories are very different which impacts the quality and quanities of offerings.

I took a quick look at the city planning document. Thank you, for posting that comment... I had not looked at that plan before. I haven't read the whole thing... just skimmed it.

I personally would like to see some sort of recreation center in South Durham. Rec Centers are where many classes are offered and a sense of community is established. This would benefit South Durham as the current rec centers benefit the communities near them now. I see that on page 88 of that doc it lists an area in South Durham (looks like Lowes Grove maybe) as a priority area for a new community center. But under funding on page 97 a rececreation center in Southeast /Lowes Grove is listed last as number 35 (not sure if they are listed by priority) and there are just dots where funding dollars should be. I take that to mean there isn't money in the budget for this yet. It could be because this might be linked to a feasiblity study which was item number 11. So it does appear they are at least looking at it.

This is good. But I still think that those of us in South Durham who are interested in seeing this happen should be vocal about it so the city makes it a higher priority. I think I have some letters to go write after I read that whole plan.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:33 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post

I personally would like to see some sort of recreation center in South Durham. Rec Centers are where many classes are offered and a sense of community is established. This would benefit South Durham as the current rec centers benefit the communities near them now.
There is a plan for a Southern Durham Rec Center. If you look at the http://www.durhamnc.gov/departments/bms/09-14cip/6.pdf you'll see Southern Durham Rec Center as a project. The land in South Durham is expensive and the Parks & Rec Department has identified a piece of land but it will cost 1 million to purchase the land. By looking at the CIP you will see that 889k will be appropriated in FY08-09 to purchase the land.

It will still cost another 3 million or so to plan & design the center and pool and another 15 million to build it. The money to plan/design and build the pool hasn't been identified and there isn't a clear time table as to when that funding will become available.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:11 PM

551 posts, read 575,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
In & Out, Bull City Rising already explained that to you on the very first page of this thread.

MrsSteel, I am very well aware of why the tax rate is higher in Durham. It is obvious. The question is what can be done about it and how can the money being paid in better serve the community. I will use myself as an example:

I have no school age children, therefore have no schooling concerns. I work in RTP. I know there area you live very well. It is my favorite area in Durham. I love Woodcroft Parkway and it's proximity to Southpoint and RTP. If I chose to live there, I would save a grand total of 5 minutes off my commute from where I live now over the line in Wake County. No big deal. I have more things I need within walking distance now than I would if I lived in the Woodcroft area. I spent 10% more to get my current house in Wake County compared to what I would have paid in your area of Durham. I know because I was pricing different homes of consideration. So when you look at the cost for me, I have a big time savings on the tax rate, gain many more things within walking distance and have many more retail/dining options available to me from my current location, as I can go to Southpoint, Brier Creek, Cary Town Centre, Crossroads & Beaver Creek. I am simply surrounded by more of what interests me with this location, while not paying a lot more than I would have in the beautiful Southpoint area for my house, have very little difference in my commute and save a lot on taxes.

This is just one example of how each situation can be different. You can look up websites that will say one thing or another about affordability, but the information is only accurate if everyone is in the market for the same thing. I simply would have much higher expenses if I step over the Durham line that I am fairly close to and paid those taxes instead of Wake Counties. Southern Durham has a lot going for it and a lot of people do want to move there. The tax situation is an issue, because people have other options available. In order for the Durham tax rates to decrease, they need more people paying into the system. Durham will not have as many people moving there if they have better options available close by. I don't know what the answer is. How do you get more people to a location in an effort to get more of a tax base, so you can lower the tax rate while the tax rate is still high? Do you bring the tax rate down ahead of time to get people in? Do you have a big advertising blitz about how great the area really is? No matter how you cut it, people can't just justify a high tax rate and not acknowledge the fact that it will deter some people from moving there when only 4 miles away you can pay a lot less.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:12 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
There is a plan for a Southern Durham Rec Center. If you look at the http://www.durhamnc.gov/departments/bms/09-14cip/6.pdf you'll see Southern Durham Rec Center as a project. The land in South Durham is expensive and the Parks & Rec Department has identified a piece of land but it will cost 1 million to purchase the land. By looking at the CIP you will see that 889k will be appropriated in FY08-09 to purchase the land.

It will still cost another 3 million or so to plan & design the center and pool and another 15 million to build it. The money to plan/design and build the pool hasn't been identified and there isn't a clear time table as to when that funding will become available.
hsh, thanks for the link! The one I had gotten my previous info from is a Parks and Rec planning doc. Your link has provided me more info. Thank you!!

I see that on page I-72 it list a completion date as 6/15. Do you know if that means the land will be purchased by then or they are hoping to have the entire center done by then? Also, I did not see where this doc discussed having identified the piece of land. Do you know where is the location of the proposed site?

Since the county is having a hard time finding affordable land for schools down here, maybe the city and county can team up and build a school and community center on the same land.

Thanks again for your informative link!!

Old 07-06-2008, 04:24 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
Quote:
hsh, thanks for the link! The one I had gotten my previous info from is a Parks and Rec planning doc. Your link has provided me more info. Thank you!!

I see that on page I-72 it list a completion date as 6/15. Do you know if that means the land will be purchased by then or they are hoping to have the entire center done by then? Also, I did not see where this doc discussed having identified the piece of land. Do you know where is the location of the proposed site?

Since the county is having a hard time finding affordable land for schools down here, maybe the city and county can team up and build a school and community center on the same land.

Thanks again for your informative link!!
You're welcome.

The completion date is listed the way that it is to take into account the whole process of development from the purchasing of the land to design to construction. Ideally, if the project was fully and not partially funded, the center would be completed by June 2015. The idea is to purchase the land between July 2008 and June 2009 but I don't know the specific purchase date.

The land is somewhere in SW Durham. I believe the land is situated fairly close to Southpoint but don't quote me on that.

Last edited by he's so hott; 07-06-2008 at 04:34 PM..

Old 07-07-2008, 02:22 AM

847 posts, read 3,521,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In & Out View Post

If you live in the Southpoint area of Durham City, you will pay 1.3581% in TOTAL taxes. If you live in Apex you will pay .874% in TOTAL taxes. If you live in Cary you will pay .864% in TOTAL taxes. If you live in Raleigh you will pay .9075% in TOTAL taxes. If you live in Morrisville you will pay .9005% in TOTAL taxes. That is a big difference and the reason why the OP expects more than what he is getting.
Well, if you're going to compare the highest rate in Durham County to the lowest rate in Wake County, I suppose I can't argue with that.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:25 AM

Quote:
I try not to compare the Durham parks to where I lived before. Portland Parks & Rec is amazing and is often used as a model for other muncipalities of similar size. It's unfair to Durham if I compare the two. The city sizes and economic histories are very different which impacts the quality and quanities of offerings.
Okay, Portland is one place I've not lived.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:53 AM

551 posts, read 575,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welovedurham View Post
Well, if you're going to compare the highest rate in Durham County to the lowest rate in Wake County, I suppose I can't argue with that.
I used more than one example above and I the ones I used were the surrounding towns that I said people would choose to move to instead, so your statement does not fly.

I provided the links above, so go ahead and compare all you want. The Durham County portion alone is almost as much as the combined tax rate of the surrounding towns. Then you need to add the city portion. Sorry, facts are facts.

The issue still remains, how does Durham reduce the tax rate so more people will move there, which increases the tax revenue, which then allows the city to provide better services, which is what the OP was talking about? It is not an issue of me not liking Durham, because I do. I want to see all the towns in the Triangle do well. I have a lot of pride in this area.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In & Out View Post
I used more than one example above and I the ones I used were the surrounding towns that I said people would choose to move to instead, so your statement does not fly.
Cary and Apex? People don't pick between Cary/Apex or Durham. These are very different places, and people tend to like one or the other.

My link above from the state is better than your link. The data is a year old, and rates have gone down in a lot of places (including Wake and Durham) but you can see comparisons for many places that you would actually compare.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary