Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 06:08 AM

371 posts, read 1,259,912 times

Advertisements

The jerk of a man who was fired from his position after being filmed via cell phone, suspending by leash, then kicking his police training dog, has been hired back to protect us all by good ol' Apex. They "believe in second chances". How noble.
Once again a real statement towards making this world just a little more compassionate and re-setting the "moral bar" ( a person, particularly in a position to be around a vulnerable part of our population, must show control and compassionate judgement, or must pay ) . I find it absolutely disgusting this guy's back in any kind of city work getting paid. Cocky, controling monster that thought it was in the scope of training to treat this dog like that, now gets to continue on the force??? Come on comissioner- grow a pair!
Any thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 06:13 AM

18,103 posts, read 15,676,604 times
I know! Makes me ill. I cannot countenance animal cruelty. doG help him if I ever run into him. My hope is that he will continue to be 'reminded' daily that he is being watched and scorned and that his actions will be remembered. He should have landed in jail for a few years.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:30 AM

473 posts, read 1,518,008 times
I can't see it either. Being from Virginia, I was thrilled when someone finally set an example for animal cruelty punishment - Michael Vick. This police officer seems to be setting us backward again.

I look at it this way - children and animals trust adult humans to show care. Not necessarily take care of them, but at least to not intentionally harm them. Those adult humans who are just cruel - Vick, the police officer, or the soldier in Iraq who threw a puppy off a cliff - have something slightly off deep down. I too believe - maybe wrongly - that these people have the potential to become something worse, such as domestic abusers, bullies, or escalate to the unthinkable.

Should we put our trust - a higher trust - in someone to protect and serve us, when he/she isn't even capable of respecting that trust at a more basic level?

Old 07-10-2008, 09:49 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
So if I was to attack a Police Dog I would be jailed yet this guy does it and is given his job back? If I attacked a co-worker (which Police dogs are supposed to be to them) then I would be canned. Yet another reason why people do not trust nor respect the Police Departments.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:19 AM

473 posts, read 1,518,008 times
I'm sorta surprised at Apex. Especially with the very good recent grads to choose from.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:54 AM

98 posts, read 301,805 times
No reason to treat the dog in that manner. I have a lab and one of his first commands to learn was "Drop It". If he has a toy, plastic bottle etc he drops it on command. No need to kick or strangle the dog other to make it mean and mistrusting of people. Apex beware!!!!!

Old 07-11-2008, 12:58 PM

371 posts, read 1,259,912 times
This jerk still states it's in his "scope of practice" and acceptable as part of dog training. It probably is, sadly, not that unusual. Worst of all, this dog apparently went dutifully back w/ him after this incident, waiting on the next command. The only half decent news was that he makes much less $. I wonder if he is banned from partnering w/ dogs from here on out....
Glad to see there are compaassionate folks that find it just as disturbing as I do!

Old 07-11-2008, 01:52 PM

586 posts, read 1,547,288 times
They say it is part of their training, blah, blah, blah but when his coworker is filming him on a cell phone out of concern, I would think that anyone could see that it was outside the normal practice. The Apex police department can not be that desperate to hire this guy so I think it may be related to the bubba system.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:13 PM

217 posts, read 1,117,780 times
What a JERK!!! People who abuse animals make me sick! I can't believe they hired him again. One of the other posts made a good point that the police dog is considered a co-worker and you obviously wouldn't get away with kicking/attacking a co-worker. Up in Mass, the police dogs (the agent who works with them) actually get a "paycheck".

Old 07-13-2008, 10:59 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Have any of y'all actually watched the clear, unedited version? The video that was untouched by the media? The media does a great job of doctoring up videos and news for that matter to make it look worse than it actually is. Well, I have watched it. First off, the dog was NOT suspended or hanging by the leash. THAT WOULD HAVE KILLED THE DOG, PEOPLE!! The dog was standing on it's hind legs with it's front legs resting on the stoop. Second, he was not kicking the dog that hard. That is very obvious in the untouched video. The dog didn't even move when he kicked him. The dog would not let go of the training device which could be detrimental if it were a suspect. The officer was teaching the dog to obey his command of "release" when it is told. The dog's original trainer even said that the tactics the officer used is common practice and was told to do so in order to teach the dog "who's in charge". You can't have a police dog who is friendly and lovable. You need one that is aggressive but obeys commands instantly. Let's use some common sense on this instead of hearing a single-sided story and placing judgment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary