Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 09:17 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,939 times

Advertisements

Can anyone in Wake county tell me which parts of the county get the brunt of the worst weather. Meaning severe thunderstorms. I know where I am the north part of our valley is the most active. Does it work that way in wake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2006, 09:26 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
I think it's all spead pretty even. I don't think there are any areas of the county that get more or less severe weather than others.

Old 05-22-2006, 09:29 PM

I was hoping you weren't gonna say that. Darn..........

Old 05-22-2006, 09:34 PM

I think you are just a bit too worrysome about severe weather in central NC. There are usually thunderstorms at least once or twice a week durring spring and summer, but they rarely form tornados or even much damage other than a few broken limbs on trees. The last Tornado to cause serious damage in NC that didn't come from a hurricane (which is where most of NC's tornadoes come from, hurricanes, althought they are usually week tornadoes and it is much easier to predict and get out of the way of the hurricane with hours or days to spare) was in 1988. It went through North Raleigh and destroyed a shopping center and several streets of a residential neighborhood.

Old 05-22-2006, 09:44 PM

I know I just hate lightening and wind. I went through a really bad storm when I lived in Vegas years ago and since then I've been a little nutty about storms. I think I developed a phobia.

Old 05-22-2006, 09:48 PM

I saw that storm on "storm stories", where a years worth of rain fell in one hour in vegas. But you don't have to worry, on th east coast, it takes WAY more rain than that to cause any serious problems. You saw the flooding in New England, but that was the result of DAYS of rain. Which is a rare occurance. Thunder can't hurt you, and lighthing can't hurt you if you are in house or car.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:31 PM

309 posts, read 298,265 times
Thats not true.

Lightening isnt likey to strike you in a grounded device but it can surly go through a house or car and hit you. Cars have no "earth" ground but that doesnt mean that power cant travel through the car. Engines running create a field that disturbs electromagnetic paths. (this is how stop light sensors work). I forget the exact term.

Weather.... LOL. The south is humid. So what. If you lived in Japan you'd have to wring out your sheets EVERY day. Heck, they have adjust how their cars run because of the "lack" of humidity in the USA. Thunderstorms are great. The winter is slightly shorter and the summer is slightly hotter than say the northeastern USA. I remember as a kid though, the summers being cooler here. Its the shift of the wind currents and where the weather is carried. I hear there is a town in NC somewhere that meterologists seem to move because it has 'ideal' weather. I dont know what it is.

j

Old 05-23-2006, 06:39 PM

787 posts, read 3,584,050 times
The summer is notorious for thunderstorms striking very quickly. We had one last week and Teri had called me to tell me that her daughter and two children, which one is two and the other one is only about 17 months old were coming to my house to ride it out because we were under a tornado and severe thunder storm warning. I swear I had not even got the phone back on the cradle when the bottom fell out with torrents of rains and hail. I called Teri back and told her that Miranda would be better off where she was unless she already had the children in the car and had left, which she had done neither. She was about 10 when Hurricane Fran hit us and now she is terrified of anything that remotely resembles a thunder storm or tropical storm. And with 60 mile and hour winds, it was basically a tropical storm like invasion. But it didn't last long. They are predicting a hotter than average summer this year and of course this will breed more storms.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:11 PM

Now you know how I feel I'm terrified too and I haven't even been through a hurricane. I hope I can get used to these storms without freaking out.

Old 05-23-2006, 08:51 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,564,551 times
You will be fine. I did it :-) I will get back with you sometime tomorrow. I have been a little under the weather today. I am laughing there was no pun intended.

Debbie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary