Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 09:37 AM

60 posts, read 215,287 times

Advertisements

Why were you scared of a big police presence, KellyCrash? Police and mall security should be a comfort to law-abiding people, just not to shoplifters. The mall is very family friendly. The city is not very teenager friendly, in that there's not a lot for kids to do on a Friday or Saturday night besides go to the mall. Northgate has one of the most convenient to get to movie theaters in the area. I've not had anything negative happen to me in over 20 years of going there for shopping, dining or just hanging out with my kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 10:08 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Matt View Post
The city is not very teenager friendly, in that there's not a lot for kids to do on a Friday or Saturday night besides go to the mall.
We've been spending a lot of time at Campus Hills and Edison Johnson Pools this summer. And I was shocked to see there are NOT teen swims on Friday or Saturday nights there. I think I saw that the rec centers have a teen night once a month or something. But in the summer time it makes sense to have a teen swim time every Friday or Saturday night from 6-9 or 6-dark.

The city gave money to a couple of different non-profits this past budget cycle because those nps provide programs for at risk teens. It seems like the city is missing a big chance to serve those teens with facilities they already own.

Last edited by PDXmom; 07-14-2008 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-14-2008, 01:06 PM

207 posts, read 1,088,999 times
Quote:
The city is not very teenager friendly, in that there's not a lot for kids to do on a Friday or Saturday night besides go to the mall.
It's funny to hear people repeat variations of this same line over and over again, there isn't much for kids to do. Many people try to use it as a reason why kids are getting in trouble at higher rates than in the past. It's simply not true though, there are plenty of things for kids to do and kids today have WAY more options than in the past as far as how they can occupy their time. There is plenty for kids to do on a Friday or Saturday night or during the summer for that matter. In the mid to late 90's when I was a teenager sometimes I would hang out with friends and end up at the mall. Going to the mall was kind of like a party or social event. But that got old quickly and more than likely I would be at work making money. I have a great solution for kids or parents of kids who say they don't have anything to do over the weekend. Visit a library on Thursday and check out a few books. Now you have something to do over the weekend since hanging out in the streets seems to be the popular choice for so many these days...

The main problem is that families have broken down and teens don't spend productive time with their families anymore. What happened to spending time with your family? (and this isn't coming from an old guy, I'm only 29)

Old 07-14-2008, 01:17 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,695,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALT-X View Post
It's funny to hear people repeat variations of this same line over and over again, there isn't much for kids to do. Many people try to use it as a reason why kids are getting in trouble at higher rates than in the past. It's simply not true though, there are plenty of things for kids to do and kids today have WAY more options than in the past as far as how they can occupy their time. There is plenty for kids to do on a Friday or Saturday night or during the summer for that matter. In the mid to late 90's when I was a teenager sometimes I would hang out with friends and end up at the mall. Going to the mall was kind of like a party or social event. But that got old quickly and more than likely I would be at work making money. I have a great solution for kids or parents of kids who say they don't have anything to do over the weekend. Visit a library on Thursday and check out a few books. Now you have something to do over the weekend since hanging out in the streets seems to be the popular choice for so many these days...

The main problem is that families have broken down and teens don't spend productive time with their families anymore. What happened to spending time with your family? (and this isn't coming from an old guy, I'm only 29)
Well, I think the problem is that a lot of these kids don't really have families. That's why they end up in gangs, or getting into trouble some other way.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:34 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,085,744 times
Quote:
Why were you scared of a big police presence, KellyCrash? Police and mall security should be a comfort to law-abiding people, just not to shoplifters. The mall is very family friendly. The city is not very teenager friendly, in that there's not a lot for kids to do on a Friday or Saturday night besides go to the mall. Northgate has one of the most convenient to get to movie theaters in the area. I've not had anything negative happen to me in over 20 years of going there for shopping, dining or just hanging out with my kids.
I never said I was scared of the police. Good to know that nothing bad has ever happened to you personally.

I had not realized there was a police substation in the mall. That sure makes sense to explain all the police cars I saw there.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:40 PM

847 posts, read 3,523,442 times
Yes, putting police substations in malls puts them in a great location for community policing (i.e., getting to know community members, meeting families, learning how communities work, and making good public relations). There was one for a long time (probably still there) in University Mall in Chapel Hill. The kids liked to walk by and see the officers working inside.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:28 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
I don't think anyone is trying to sugarcoat it,a ctually most people have said it's not their top choice in malls, but it does have some nice aspects. I'm not sure if it will ever be that great due to private ownership, and the fact that most stores when signing with malls want multiple locations.

But, Durham in general is a nice place, and it's frustrating when people who neither live nor spend much time there say a lot of bad things about it. The limited time I spent in Gainesville, I didn't like it very much, but I'm not bashing it on the Gainesville forum.
I didn't bash Durham. I gave facts of what a business there does and said I think the mall is pretty crappy. This might not be one of the polarizing Durham threads but there sure are plenty of them.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:46 AM

306 posts, read 1,306,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCrash View Post
Southpoint doesn't have Tiger Direct tho. That's why we were there. I'd never drive that far to Northgate for anything else. Its a really cool store for computer people.
There is a Tiger Direct store on Capital Blvd in North Raleigh. It may be closer to you than Northgate Mall in North Durham.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:10 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpea View Post
There is a Tiger Direct store on Capital Blvd in North Raleigh. It may be closer to you than Northgate Mall in North Durham.
True, but they aren't identical. The one on Capitol is an Outlet store. Prices aren't much different, but it's less organized and not as big. The one in Northgate is a regular retail store.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:14 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCrash View Post
Dh dragged me over there. He didn't tell me where we were going. I didn't even know there was a mall in downtown Durham!!!! I felt a little out of place & a little scared. Maybe Sat. evening is a bad time to go to the mall? I don't know. Are my feelings unreasonable? There seems to be a BIG police presence there. Do bad things happen there?
Sounds a bit like Triangle Towne Mall... without the big police presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary