Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 11:50 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,189,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
I agree with no Italian. A family place. sandwich would be great. PLEASE just make sure that if smoking is allowed there is a good filtration system. There are a couple eating places in HS that we can't go to because the smoke/smell is so bad there it is a real turn off!

ITA about the smoking issue in a couple of HS restaurants. I won't even go into them anymore. A good place for breakfast would be wonderful to have so close by!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 05:50 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,606,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
I agree with no Italian. A family place. sandwich would be great.
The OP asked for suggestions. We all said a sandwich place or breakfast place. We said no more Italian please. The OP then said that he'd open an Italian place.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:03 PM

725 posts, read 1,501,025 times
Default Hours

Something to consider is the hours of a place in Holly Springs. Right now Holly Springs is more of a bed room community with people leaving during the day. If you are looking at places near Sunset and Holly Springs roads it is busy on the weekends and during rush hours but not so much during the day Mon-Friday. I think in the next year or two when Novartis is fully functional and hopefully when the newly proposed hospital opens there will be more of a lunch time crowd in HS.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:26 AM

85 posts, read 451,738 times
There's an older farm-type-house on Optimist Farm Road that I often fantasize about making into a restaurant. It's near Middle Creek High school...rehab the inside, expand the deck for outside eating and entertainment, monthly menus with nightly specials, local art for sale on the wall....

Old 07-29-2008, 04:37 AM

152 posts, read 541,974 times
Hi, this is the first post for me. Your idea of restaurant in this area compelled me to register. It seems you're leaning towards Italian since you have the background and made mention of some great recipes.

To be honest, first off, any new restaurant option would be welcome.

To be further honest, we'd probably be more interested in a breakfast, lunch type of place. We've been craving for a bagel type deli since moving here 8 years ago. We drive out of the way to the nearest one weekly. DH would love to have one closer.

I'd probably prefer a family owned vs. chain restaurant, but HS and this area needs a Chili's, Houstons, Outback type of place too...we second the Dunkin Donuts idea.

Back to your family owned place...we would certainly welcome a quaint, outdoor seating area. A diverse menu would keep everyone in the family happy. Too many times, so and so doesn't want Mexican or so and so doesn't want Italian. A happy compromise would be great. I like the farm house idea on Optimist Farm Road. Non-smoking is KEY!!! For a long time there was one choice only and it was SMOKEY. We stopped going.

As this area grows up, so will the kids...be careful, there is one restaurant that has problems with being a high school hangout. If that's your audience then great, but it's hard for those that want a family dinner in mind. DH and I wouldn't think of going there on a night out because of this.

We were hoping for a restaurant at the new Harris Teeter on Kildaire Farm Rd & Ten Ten but it looks like it's going to be a Cinellis pizza place. There's already San Remo's in MillPond.--we've only eaten there once in 8 years. Food was good but too small. I'll probably have more comments. Good Luck and can't wait to see the grand opening!!!

Old 07-29-2008, 02:38 PM

299 posts, read 635,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
The OP asked for suggestions. We all said a sandwich place or breakfast place. We said no more Italian please. The OP then said that he'd open an Italian place.
Actually, my FIRST post said Italian, as that as what I had before. In my answering the INITIAL responses, I mentioned Veal and Seafood, along with the fact that good Italian is also inexpensive to serve. One poster said "not another Italian place with bad pizza"...not sure if they meant just no pizza or no Italian and pizza. However, my concern is the overall community needs and wants. I learned a long time ago you can't please everyone, however, we did a great job in pleasing the majority with a low to moderate priced menu with good quality food. $$$ is a major concern when dealing with families. I'm sorry that you can only see the negative when reading about the idea instead of the big picture.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkburk View Post
There's an older farm-type-house on Optimist Farm Road that I often fantasize about making into a restaurant. It's near Middle Creek High school...rehab the inside, expand the deck for outside eating and entertainment, monthly menus with nightly specials, local art for sale on the wall....
Sounds like a great idea and one place I'd definitely frequent. I love the idea of promoting local artists, too.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakesTwo View Post
Hi, this is the first post for me. Your idea of restaurant in this area compelled me to register. It seems you're leaning towards Italian since you have the background and made mention of some great recipes.

To be honest, first off, any new restaurant option would be welcome.

To be further honest, we'd probably be more interested in a breakfast, lunch type of place. We've been craving for a bagel type deli since moving here 8 years ago. We drive out of the way to the nearest one weekly. DH would love to have one closer.

I'd probably prefer a family owned vs. chain restaurant, but HS and this area needs a Chili's, Houstons, Outback type of place too...we second the Dunkin Donuts idea.

Back to your family owned place...we would certainly welcome a quaint, outdoor seating area. A diverse menu would keep everyone in the family happy. Too many times, so and so doesn't want Mexican or so and so doesn't want Italian. A happy compromise would be great. I like the farm house idea on Optimist Farm Road. Non-smoking is KEY!!! For a long time there was one choice only and it was SMOKEY. We stopped going.

As this area grows up, so will the kids...be careful, there is one restaurant that has problems with being a high school hangout. If that's your audience then great, but it's hard for those that want a family dinner in mind. DH and I wouldn't think of going there on a night out because of this.

We were hoping for a restaurant at the new Harris Teeter on Kildaire Farm Rd & Ten Ten but it looks like it's going to be a Cinellis pizza place. There's already San Remo's in MillPond.--we've only eaten there once in 8 years. Food was good but too small. I'll probably have more comments. Good Luck and can't wait to see the grand opening!!!
Such great ideas here, glad you decided to register. There would be a diverse menu, expanding as clientele and demand continues. We would have a combination of Seafood, Beef, Italian along with sandwiches for the lunchtime crowd and optional for those wanting a lesser priced meal during the dinner hour. I'm thinking of the emphasis being on families and possibly just a beer/wine license initially as I'm not sure about the cost of insurance in this area. Liquor licenses where we were formerly located were very costly and our insurance alone was in the high five figures. I'm going to meet with someone from the HS planning board regarding new business development. She seems to have a grasp on what is needed/wanted in the area and the start up costs are so far appearing to be manageable and promising. The developer for the Woodcreek Shoppes is very accommodating and helpful and my thanks again to HappyNCGirl for putting me in touch with him, wish I could give you more rep points

Thank you to all who have responded, the comments are appreciated and each one is considered. I found that in our previous business, our customers opinions and thoughts really drove our business and made it successful. I'm hoping for the same type of success here.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:34 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKR27540 View Post
Such great ideas here, glad you decided to register. There would be a diverse menu, expanding as clientele and demand continues. We would have a combination of Seafood, Beef, Italian along with sandwiches for the lunchtime crowd and optional for those wanting a lesser priced meal during the dinner hour. I'm thinking of the emphasis being on families and possibly just a beer/wine license initially as I'm not sure about the cost of insurance in this area. Liquor licenses where we were formerly located were very costly and our insurance alone was in the high five figures. I'm going to meet with someone from the HS planning board regarding new business development. She seems to have a grasp on what is needed/wanted in the area and the start up costs are so far appearing to be manageable and promising. The developer for the Woodcreek Shoppes is very accommodating and helpful and my thanks again to HappyNCGirl for putting me in touch with him, wish I could give you more rep points

Thank you to all who have responded, the comments are appreciated and each one is considered. I found that in our previous business, our customers opinions and thoughts really drove our business and made it successful. I'm hoping for the same type of success here.
Let us know what you decide to do! Any chance of having a City-Data Member's discount?

I promise I will tip well!

Old 07-29-2008, 04:41 PM

446 posts, read 1,394,578 times
Lots of good posts here! We sure need some more options in the H.S. area....and not another chain. God, I would love a real diner as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary