Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:13 PM

516 posts, read 1,888,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
You get them from the phone company, but it is pretty cost prohibitive. A grand or so to set it up, and better part of a grand per month.
There are other options than the phone company, but you have the pricing about right. The actual price depends on the specific provider and the distance they'll have to run the line.

$1000-$1500 is what I've seen the average setup cost, and I've seen monthly prices ranging from $600-$1100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 01:42 AM

484 posts, read 1,367,502 times
Default thanks

thanks sacred grooves and tony for the info on t1 wow! that is alot dough lol. i think ill just stick to my rr cable for now.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:35 AM

115 posts, read 381,314 times
Default If up-time is critical

My former office had TW business internet service and it wasn't bad. The download speed was about the same as you get at home (we're getting as much as 6meg at home). The upload speed depended on how much you paid. I don't remember what our bill was, but we had an mid range account and they "gave" us 1500k upload. That was pretty good for most things.

If up time is critical, there used to be a device called an "on ramp" that would allow you to connect your network to more than one service. It was highly recommended for people who were day trading stocks and commodities, etc. The idea was that you could have, say, both cable internet and FIOS connected and the system would use both, automatically switching back and forth based on availability and the odds of both being out at the same time were pretty slim. I don't know if they're still available or how much they cost, but it would still be cheaper (and faster) than T1 or T3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary