Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Raleigh Durham North Carolina relocation questions, confusing freeway access, traffic nonexistent, children’s activities, amusement parks, water parks, Cary’s neighborhoods, North Raleigh suburbs

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 10:32 AM

203 posts, read 162,888 times

Advertisements

I just want to set the record straight about Durham. I moved to southern Durham, near The Streets at Southpoint, November of 2005. I moved down from a very rural area of Massachusetts. This is my first experience living in a city…..if you even want to call this area of Durham a city. After LIVING in Durham for over a year, I can truly say I love living here. There is so much to do and everything is kept up so well. The only area of Durham I avoid at night is east central Durham. That area is where you will find most of the crime. It is an area that has not kept up with most of Durham. If you avoid that area, you will find that Durham has so much to offer. Northern Durham County is very rural, with lots of land and farmhouses. West central Durham has Duke University and many older and very nice homes. Southern Durham is where everything new is located, including the fabulous Streets at Southpoint mall. Most of the people that bash Durham are people that do not live here. If you do not live here, you do not know how good it is. When trying to get advice on Durham, listen to people that live here, not people that like to bash from afar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 10:48 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
I totally agree that there are some areas of Durham that are quite nice.

However...do you have kids? Where do they go to school? That is what turns most of my clients off about Durham.

Here is the simple truth of the matter...if you have $300,000 to spend, your Realtor should be showing you what your money can buy. Whether its North Raleigh or Cary or HollySprings or Durham. Then its up to my clients to determine where they want to live. Its a choice, people.

Vicki

Old 02-10-2007, 01:36 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
However...do you have kids? Where do they go to school? That is what turns most of my clients off about Durham.
And unfortunately, they're not getting the full picture. They're looking at flat numbers, I guess, and assuming the education is automatically sub-par.

But BullCityRising's figures, several posts back, proves pretty darn clearly that once you cancel out differerences such as race and socioeconomic differences, the scores for Durham and Wake Counties are virtually the same.

Add the fact that forced yearround and overcrowding and reassignment are way less common in Durham County than Wake County...well, I don't have a kid but if I did I might just actually MOVE to Durham for the schools alone!

(Sorry, Southpoint, it wouldn't be southern Durham though...reminds me too much of Cary these days. )

Old 02-10-2007, 04:16 PM

203 posts, read 162,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
And unfortunately, they're not getting the full picture. They're looking at flat numbers, I guess, and assuming the education is automatically sub-par.

But BullCityRising's figures, several posts back, proves pretty darn clearly that once you cancel out differerences such as race and socioeconomic differences, the scores for Durham and Wake Counties are virtually the same.

Add the fact that forced yearround and overcrowding and reassignment are way less common in Durham County than Wake County...well, I don't have a kid but if I did I might just actually MOVE to Durham for the schools alone!

(Sorry, Southpoint, it wouldn't be southern Durham though...reminds me too much of Cary these days. )
Yes, RaleighRob, Southern Durham is actually starting to become like Cary. I guess that's why I like it. Controlled Area for Relocated Yankees and I am a yankee.....unfortunately. Luckily the traffic hear seems much more manageable than Cary......for now.

I agree with you about the schools. My son is already out of college, so the schools were not a consideration for me. However, Durham does have excellent and poor schools, like most towns. It seems like Wake county is starting to have a lot of problems with overcrowding now, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Old 02-10-2007, 05:54 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,160,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ-FROM-NJ View Post
GREAT POST I LOVE TO SEE VISUALS!

uh huh, me too and for a moment I thought they were pictures of Mobile. Traffic here is Horrible and not just rush hour,all the time!!
Love the pics though.........have more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary