Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2007, 05:10 AM

11 posts, read 55,276 times

Advertisements

My wife and I decided to lease a house/townhouse based on the advice we received on the board a couple of weeks ago. So thank you to everyone for your help!

1.My question is what would be the best route to lease?

2.Should we work with a realtor? Do they have access to the most recent lease listings? Who pays their "commission"?

3.Would it be better to work with a relocation company?
I heard the rent is usually higher if listed with a rental/relo company-true?

4.Is it common to negotiate the rent amount/terms prior to committing?

5.Has anyone had any experience leasing thru craigslists? Is the monthly rent usually less expensive or the houses in bad condition?

We have a small dog so we're hoping there are some nice houses or end unit townhouses with a little yard.

We want to rent under $1400 a month in North Raleigh.

We would greatly appreciate any advice or if anyone wants to share their experience regarding leasing in the North Raleigh area.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 05:31 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,693 times
An agent can get you a lease through MLS. I have done that myself several times for people relocating to the area. You can also negotiate the rent and the term of the rent which I have also done for clients. I haven't checked yet but you should be able to get something nice seeing that you want to spend up to $1400. Especially if it is going to be a townhome. I have recommended renting first many times, to get to know the area. Then you really know what suits your family best. If I can help you with any further info, my contact info is under my name. Oh yes I myself rented first when I relocated to the area many years ago....absolutly nothing wrong with taking that road.

Regards,

Debbie

Old 01-25-2007, 06:16 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
I have to agree with debbie! I have helped people rent, and it just makes sense. I have some clients who I met after they moved here and they had terrible luck with a property they rented on craigslist (not to say all are bad!) but they contended with fleas, bugs, etc. They since moved into an apartment in a different location and just bought their house! They decided to move from the craigslist house to a short term lease on an apartment in case they wanted to do renovation on the house they purchased before moving in...........

long story short, hook up with a realtor, have them get a place for you and then you will know what it is like to work with that person, and you can decide if you want to move forward with them and have them help you get a house.

Leigh

Old 01-25-2007, 06:54 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
So if a person uses a realtor to find a rental, does the realtor get a commission from the landlord or the tenant? Or is their no commission at all and the realtor is justdoing this service with the idea in mind that the renter will remeber them when they choose to buy a home and will become a future client? Just curious how the compensation works.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:09 AM

653 posts, read 2,987,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
So if a person uses a realtor to find a rental, does the realtor get a commission from the landlord or the tenant? Or is their no commission at all and the realtor is justdoing this service with the idea in mind that the renter will remeber them when they choose to buy a home and will become a future client? Just curious how the compensation works.
Usually, the owner of the property offers a nominal fee to the tenant's realtor(I've seen as low as $25, but it averages around $100). Some realtor's won't touch rentals for that reason. As you saw awith the pp's, though, realtor's who are not commission-focused, but focused on helping someone successfully transition into the area will have no problem helping someone find a rental. If and when that client is ready to buy a home, of course I would hope to be at the top of the list!

Old 01-25-2007, 08:09 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,693 times
It definitely is a nominal fee. But being in the real estate business, does that not mean you are in the business to help people? I've made some wonderful friends and all they have done is rent from me. I too know Realtors that won't even look at a renter.....thats crazy in my book. Whether they want to rent, buy a 100k or a 800k house, they all deserve the same attention. I think NCHomefinder is right, that if an agent is going to take the time to help someone with a rental, then they are not commission focused, just doing the job of a good Realtor. Just my opinion as usual

Debbie

Old 01-25-2007, 08:26 AM

54 posts, read 359,064 times
Would it be difficult to find a rental on a house for less than a year? I like to rent before I buy when moving to a new area but, after 4-6 months, I'm ready to buy and get settled. Am I more likely to find a short term rental in the areas surrounding colleges?

Old 01-25-2007, 08:45 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Toes View Post
Would it be difficult to find a rental on a house for less than a year? I like to rent before I buy when moving to a new area but, after 4-6 months, I'm ready to buy and get settled. Am I more likely to find a short term rental in the areas surrounding colleges?
I think it all depends! Some people will negiotiate, others will not. The reason my clients decided on an apartment was because they were nice, not too outrageous and offered a very flexible short term lease. They KNEW they wouldn't be in the apartment longer than 3 months.

Leigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary