Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 06:40 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,690,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Your so Butch
haha! Only when I am mowing the lawn in shorts, tank top and.... work boots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Much more chance of vibration and water damage with laundry on upper floor. Just like the stupidity of putting a water heater in the attic.
The new washers on the market for the past few years have very little vibration. And as stated. The hoses need to be checked regardless of being on a 2nd or 1st floor. It all comes down to routine maintenance for the most part.
Take care of stuff and they will last with very little issues in between.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Now I'm curious...who told you to do this? I have never heard of it.

Vicki
It was a plumber, a long time ago who came out to service our water heater. And I just asked him if there was anything I was supposed to be doing to help that baby last longer. And one thing led to another and this was mentioned to do as part of maintaining and hopefully increasing the life span of the water heater.

NRG as New User said, they recommend it for city water too. Granted tho, well water that is real yucky will probably cause your hot water heater to need a flush more often.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:52 AM

237 posts, read 757,243 times
For what it's worth, we have a second floor laundry as well. I recently purchased a new front load washer and dryer. I was told that the only ones approved for a second floor laundry are Samsung. I originally wanted LG. Apparently it has something to do with the spinning and the fact that in time, damage will be done to the floors. Anyone considering this, should check it out before purchasing.
By the way, the Samsungs are great. Very quiet and right outside my master.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:54 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,023,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
How about apartments that are on the second and thrid floors? Where are their laundry rooms and water heaters? On the first in a neighbors apartment???
Nope, that's not a problem....only a problem for people who own, not rent. Renting is better.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:41 AM

502 posts, read 1,740,553 times
We just moved to NC recently and our house has a garage water heater and 2nd floor laundry. For me, the convenience depends on what room you spend your leisure time in. In our last house, that was primarily in the family room on the first floor, so it was more convenient to have the laundry on that floor. We would fold cloths as a family while watching TV almost daily. Our new house we spend most of our time in the bonus room on the 2nd floor and the laundry room is right next to it... so its perfect. Our washer has a pan under it to catch any small leaks. If a hose busted or something, that could be a big problem I guess. I think the advice of others is good... when the washer is replaced, then get the best hoses you can find.

To me, the hot water heater upstairs is a bigger problem because they can dump a lot of water when they go bad. But, its is also the easiest thing to remedy. If I had a hot water heater upstairs in the attic, then I'd just replace it with a tankless water heater. They are more efficient anyways and your problem will be solved.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:21 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,725,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
We just moved to NC recently and our house has a garage water heater and 2nd floor laundry. For me, the convenience depends on what room you spend your leisure time in. In our last house, that was primarily in the family room on the first floor, so it was more convenient to have the laundry on that floor. We would fold cloths as a family while watching TV almost daily. Our new house we spend most of our time in the bonus room on the 2nd floor and the laundry room is right next to it... so its perfect.
It's funny that you say that b/c in my apt in AZ the washer and dryer happened to be located in the primary area where I spent most of my leisure time. I would fold clothes while watching tv.

Here in NC my washer and dryer are on the second floor a few steps away from the spare bedroom. I take the clothes out of the dryer into the second bedroom, throw them on the bed I and sit in my chair and begin to fold them while watching Big Brother After Dark, Project Runway or something that I've recorded on the dvr.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:06 AM

615 posts, read 1,503,765 times
We had a 2nd floor laundry when we built our house in NJ years ago and I LOVED IT(we actually built 2 houses ..both with the luandry on the 2nd floor). Mainly because all of the bedrooms and bathrooms were on the 2nd floor, so it just made sense. The only thing is...we made sure to put a drain/pipe in the floor under the washer just in case the washer overflowed...but as I said we built the house so we made sure to do that during construction. But I would imagine most builders think of that and do it also.

The new construction house we just bought here in NC has a 1st floor master bdrm and bath, and the laundry room is very closeby on the 1st floor, so it made more sense to have the ldry rm there, rather than on the 2nd floor. But if the master is on the 2nd floor, it makes more sense to have the ldry rm upstairs.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbjjbtb View Post
For what it's worth, we have a second floor laundry as well. I recently purchased a new front load washer and dryer. I was told that the only ones approved for a second floor laundry are Samsung. I originally wanted LG. Apparently it has something to do with the spinning and the fact that in time, damage will be done to the floors. Anyone considering this, should check it out before purchasing.
By the way, the Samsungs are great. Very quiet and right outside my master.
I would be interested to know who it is approved by. The only feedback I have heard is they are recommended by other samsung owners due to them being very quiet. Considering the bedrooms are usually located on the second floor also that is a good thing. But I have a kenmore set. And they are very quiet also IMO and according to my visitors when they stay over.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:43 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
How about apartments that are on the second and thrid floors? Where are their laundry rooms and water heaters? On the first in a neighbors apartment???
It's a super's worst day when this happens, and it does. Avoid if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary