Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2008, 11:52 AM

4 posts, read 8,367 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if a line cook can make a living in the triangle? Any info would be useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 12:01 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,921,085 times
My brother is a chef and was appauled at the wages offered here for the culinary industry. A "line cook" will 99% of the time be offered to illegals in the area at about $7 an hour. Yes, even the finer chain establishments go that route. If people only knew. Their food in all these places is pre-cooked, or short order cooked by someone making $7 an hour who could careless. That is just a fact of life. Until you go into higher end eateries, owner operated, you won't get away from this. If you truly desire a decent wage, go to culinary school and get out of the "line cooking" arena.
My 2-cents.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:24 PM

4 posts, read 8,367 times
i graduated from the cia in 99. I say line cook because a good restaurant usally does not hire a sous chef from outside the company. I should have specifed the fact that working for a chain probably wouldnt work for me. Are there enough independent upscale resturants where someone mid level could find work?

Old 08-25-2008, 02:10 PM

184 posts, read 802,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decsonedbs View Post
i graduated from the cia in 99. I say line cook because a good restaurant usally does not hire a sous chef from outside the company. I should have specifed the fact that working for a chain probably wouldnt work for me. Are there enough independent upscale resturants where someone mid level could find work?
Are you at all interested in working in a hotel restaurant? Some of the more upscale national chains like Marriott have huge food and beverage operations and multiple dining options at certain properties. I worked for them during college and they valued some one with your background, plus there is room for advancement and decent benefits (insurance, disability, 401K) which you might not find in smaller establishments...You can check their website to see if the Raleigh area hotels have what you are looking for.( There is one near Crabtree, one in Durham and I think they just opened a new Marriott in downtown Raleigh).

Old 08-25-2008, 02:20 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decsonedbs View Post
Are there enough independent upscale resturants where someone mid level could find work?
I think there are quite a few just in Raleigh alone, especially in the Downtown Area. Add to that the options in Durham and Chapel Hill (they have more than their share of great ones) and I think the options are even better.

Here are just a few that come to mind that are in DT Raleigh. There are others but these are just off the top of my head:

The Mint

Second Empire Restaurant and Tavern - Home

Enoteca vin

Solas

Sullivans Restaurant

Zely & Ritz Tapas Restaurant and Wine Bar

The Duck & Dumpling

Here are some chef jobs listed on Craig's List:

Chef Jobs

Old 08-25-2008, 02:37 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,695,305 times
There are a ton of great locally owned restaurants in Durham. There's also rumblings of the first Ben Benson's steakhouse outside of NY opening in downtown Durham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary