Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 05:12 AM

6 posts, read 26,496 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this has been asked a zillion times. One more time, please.

Moving from Myrtle Beach SC (too crowded, crime, poor healthcare professionals with golf/beach mentality that don't want to work or care for patients THAT ARE SICK).

Have been going to Duke 3.5 hours each way and have decided to move to NC. Want to be no more than 1.30 min from Duke in a safe town/low crime/burglaries (MB has too much) & access to 95 & major highways (need to get to DC & Charleston SC)

We are going to be retiring in a couple of years, want a subdivision, Costco/Sams, Mall/shopping, a downtown area, not in the boonies but not in the city - LOW TAXES also wanted. Is there such a place and hope I'm not asking for too much. Thanks for any information, I do appreciate it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 05:32 AM

116 posts, read 265,830 times
Chapel Hill
Cary
Apex

I am not sure about east or northeast of Raleigh.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:41 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times
There are many locations in the area with easy access to Duke that should meet your needs. In addition to the above posters recommendations, check out Hillsboro, SW Durham and North Raleigh. I work at DUMC, live in Cary - about 25-30 minute commute. There are also many other nice small towns that are safe but a bit further out, such as Holly Springs, Fuquay Varina, Clayton - but all less than 1.5 hrs of Duke. I'm sure there are several other places as well and posters who have lived here longer will chime in.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:53 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightMove View Post
I'm sure this has been asked a zillion times. One more time, please.

Moving from Myrtle Beach SC (too crowded, crime, poor healthcare professionals with golf/beach mentality that don't want to work or care for patients THAT ARE SICK).

Have been going to Duke 3.5 hours each way and have decided to move to NC. Want to be no more than 1.30 min from Duke in a safe town/low crime/burglaries (MB has too much) & access to 95 & major highways (need to get to DC & Charleston SC)

We are going to be retiring in a couple of years, want a subdivision, Costco/Sams, Mall/shopping, a downtown area, not in the boonies but not in the city - LOW TAXES also wanted. Is there such a place and hope I'm not asking for too much. Thanks for any information, I do appreciate it
Generally our property taxes are viewed as low here.
Overall tax burden is average for the US.

I am unclear as to your desired proximity to Duke. "1.30 minutes." Can you clarify?
That would make it easier to make recommendations.

Apex, population 32,000+/-, comes to mind immediately, if it is within your driving range to Duke. 35-45 minutes.
Improving and quaint downtown.

Also Hillsborough, but I think your shopping desire is better satisfied in Apex.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Generally our property taxes are viewed as low here.
Overall tax burden is average for the US.

I am unclear as to your desired proximity to Duke. "1.30 minutes." Can you clarify?

Apex, population 32,000+/-, comes to mind immediately, if it is within your driving range to Duke. 35-45 minutes.
Improving and quaint downtown.

Also Hillsborough, but I think your shopping desire is better satisfied in Apex.
Driving time to Duke preferably less (going toward east coast to pick up 95). Don't shop everyday but don't want to hear "oh we're going to get a Sams" - been there, done that and the drive was so long to get to anything. Thanks!

Old 08-30-2008, 06:15 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
If you need to be closer than Apex, i.e., less than 35-45 minutes to Duke, some of the suburbs in SW Durham may be the ticket.

Morrisville has little of a downtown, but has great access to Durham, I-40, and access to shopping in all directions.

Hillsborough is cool, but west of Durham/Chapel Hill, and ergo a wee bit longer drive to I-95/Charleston. Easy shot to DC via Petersburg, VA, on I-85, though.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:25 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
That bit really confused me, too. I first read it as "one minute and 30 seconds" which would definitely limit the options! Assuming the OP meant to say an hour & a half, then there are plenty of options. Sounds like it isn't totally necessary to be very close to Duke, so I'd lean towards the east side of the Triangle in order to be a closer to I-95.

I wonder if Rocky Mount might be a good option. I've never been there myself, but it's very close to I-95 and it has a Sam's Club. According to Wikipedia it also has a mall with stores like Belk, Sears, JCPenney, Best Buy, etc.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:32 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
As other's have mentioned I just wanted to point out that a great way to travel to DC from many areas of the Triangle is I-85 North which merges with I-95 in Petersburg just south of Richmond, VA. Also, to get to Charleston from most places in the Triangle I would take I-40 East to pick up I-95 around Benson, NC. While called I-40 "east" it will actually send you travelling in a Southward direction to pick up I-95 instead of driving all the way out 264 to 95 which will take you a bit out of the way.

To be close to Duke and have great access to Shopping, I think SW Durham is a great place to check out.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:22 AM

Thank you all.......... yes 1 minute and 30 seconds would diminish the options. Didn't realize about I-85 -

OK Dummie here, SW Durham - which areas? Also will check out all of the above. Thanks to all!

Old 08-30-2008, 08:11 AM

862 posts, read 3,549,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightMove View Post
Thank you all.......... yes 1 minute and 30 seconds would diminish the options. Didn't realize about I-85 -

OK Dummie here, SW Durham - which areas? Also will check out all of the above. Thanks to all!
There are so many options, but if you could be more specific about what you want for housing, that would help narrow things down for areas. Are you wanting to buy or rent? Single family house, apartment, townhouse, etc.? Maybe an adults only complex?

ETA: Don't forget to do a search for SW Durham (and the other towns suggested) on the boards. There are plenty of discussions to keep you busy researching
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary