Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:05 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,015,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
Yeh, on top of being "the new kid", he has the stigma of being the only kid his age that can't drive. He'll be a senior and still not have a license.

With all then teenage driving fatalities I was glad my son's
license got delayed. 16 is too young to understand the seriousness
of driving recklessly IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 04:22 PM

502 posts, read 1,740,684 times
Well I'm aware of the issues with teen driving. He is my third of four kids, so I've been down this path before, and I was 16 once and I'm sure I did far worse than all four of my kids combined will. I'm just trying to help him get adjusted to the new location and this is really not helping him, as some of the guys at school have been less than welcoming. This was something we didn't foresee when we planned the move. I'm tempted to take him back up to NY and let him get his driver's license and then just stall. As much as I'm for a small federal government, some things like this become very much overly complicated by every state having their own rules.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:57 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
Graduated privileges in NC are a good idea.

The boy should have no problem dealing with this small inconvenience.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:13 PM

673 posts, read 2,267,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
NC's transfer of out of state drivers is very bizarre. My oldest daughter is turning 19 next month and is a college sophmore here. If she went to DMV now to get her NC license, I'm told that they'd take her NY license (which she's had and driven with for 3 years) and make her take driver's ed and then get a learner's permit for a year, and then take the test to get a license. This is ridiculous. She is just going to wait until she's 19 and then they will let her transfer with just taking the test.

If you go the other way... move to NY... you give them your fee, fill out the form, and the give you a license. No retaking of tests.
My 18 year old was able to get her NC license without having to retake Driver's Ed. However, her previous license, a Michigan license, was earned under a graduated driver's program under which Driver's Ed was required. In fact, both my daughters had to take Driver's Ed Part 1 and Driver's Ed Part 2.

Where did you receive the information on your 19 year old's driver's license? Did NC DMV relay that information to you?

Old 09-03-2008, 06:25 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
A private driving school can substitute for a school course.

Might be good for him to get a few lessons so he will develop good habits. Really helped our son drive safely.

Now, get ready to fork over your life when he gets licensed and you must add him to your policy.
I hear you. My policy for three cars and liability with a teen is $3800. The cars are all older too. (97-2000)

In NC, what age can a teen get their permit?

So, you're telling me if we move there and my daughter is 18, she will have to get a permit for a year and then get a license? She took a driver course on the internet and has been driving for 3 years now. She's had a license for 2 1/2 years and a clean record.

Why don't you get the license in NY and ride it out till he's 19 to change it over? Do you have freinds or relatives in NY? I quess that wouldn't help for college though and in-state tuition. Why can't your son drive with the NY permit in NC?

Old 09-03-2008, 07:15 PM

NC will transfer a full unrestricted license from another state and allow time to take driver education, if needed.

No transfer for learner permits but it appears that you can use an out of state permit for 60 days..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

new resident has 60 days after establishing residence to obtain a North Carolina license or learner permit.

* You must be at least 15 years of age, and if under age 18 must have completed an approved driver education course.

* Drivers ages 16 or 17 who are new residents of North Carolina and hold a valid unrestricted driver license from a state that does not require driver education may be issued a temporary driver permit. This permit will allow them to drive until the driver education course required for driver licensing in North Carolina is completed.

A new resident, 18 years or older, applying for a Class C license is required to take the:
o Knowledge test;
o Vision test;
o Traffic signs recognition test; and
o Driving skills test (if the examiner deems necessary).

Old 09-03-2008, 07:52 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
I (no children) thought I'd been hearing that the days of getting your license on your 16th birthday were over--that most kids didn't get them until they were 17 or even 18, anymore?

And I remember being livid because my 16th fell on a Saturday, and I had to wait TWO WHOLE DAYS to get it!

Old 09-04-2008, 06:20 AM

502 posts, read 1,740,684 times
Wow... seems to be a lot of info flying... thanks for all the advice so far.

NY has a graduated system as well and you don't get a full unrestricted license until you are 18 if you don't take driver's ed. My daughter in college never took driver's ed, but has been driving since she was 16... so almost 3 years. In NC, she'd have to take driver's ed if she went in there today to switch her license, so she is waiting to turn 19 in a couple of more weeks. She's never had a driving incident and I'm sure driver's ed would be good information, but she's got enough to worry about with school. My wife and I have been the "driver's ed" for our kids thus far. This will be a good test to see how much more they learn from a professional. One thing they won't learn I'm sure is how to deal with snow and ice. I took each of my kids out into a big shopping center after a big snow fall in NY and let them continuously throw the car into donuts and out of control skids until they got the hang of driving out of them. My wife and I spent a lot of time teaching our kids how to drive safely.

My son has a learner's permit, and I wasn't aware that learner's permits were valid outside of the issuing state in any state. If I recall, the NY rule says that, because we've never let our kids driver out of state with a learner's permit. He would have been able to get a learners permit here at age 15, if he had completed drivers ed first. He will now have to basically start over.

Absent any clear direction from this thread, I did some research and found that in Wake County, you can get driver's ed for free, even if you are a private school student. Its not as convenient as it is for public school students, but we can live with that. There is a TON of information on the subject at Wake Co. Additional Class Schedule (http://www.jordandriving.com/add_class_schedule.htm - broken link) I wanted to post it here in case anyone else is facing this same issue, and so that I could remember the link myself. I still need to go through it all, but it looks promising. If we can at least get him back to having a learner's permit, he'll feel better.

In response to all the comments about the value of driver's ed, the value of graduated programs, etc, etc... I understand all of that, but it doesn't really answer the question. And I understand that our insurance goes up if he gets a license. As I said, he is our 3rd of 4 kids so I've been through this before in a different state. If no one in NC could get their license until they were 18, he'd be fine. But that's not the case... and he's got enough issues to deal with in this transition that I'd like to help him get through this one and take one worry off his plate. Its tough enough being a teenager, and AND being the new kid.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:44 AM

Call DMV or the State highway Patrol to confirm the validity of an NY learner's permit in NC. The manual I quoted wasn't too clear.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,857 times
have you considered a hardship license? not sure how to get one (kind of working on that now) but it is an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary