Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 06:00 PM

27 posts, read 44,339 times

Advertisements

No, we've left - one of our family still has a business that is going to close, then we won't need to travel here again.
I still hear complaints from parents of special needs wonderful kids that can't get a good education. I repeat - for special needs - our experience in CH was definitively the WORST, and we've lived in many states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 06:24 PM

27 posts, read 44,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iepadvocate View Post
Hello I understand why you are requesting more information regarding schools and because my own 6 year old child is autistic I can really sympathize with your school placement dilemma. Consider not purchasing a house. Maybe you should consider renting for a year first. Wake county has a great reputation but certainly has not earned it. The county has the biggest deficits its had in 20 years and can not afford to provide services or smaller ratios as needed. While the schools are great for typical children if you have a special needs child you will have to fight with the school system. I have met tons of people who moved here for the special education services, bought a big house etc. and then had to pull their children from school and home school them.

Although not inspiring I hope that some of what I said is helpful.

If you do decide to move to Wake County you are invited to join my group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/waketess/

I just started it and it will be a huge benefit to our community!

-------------------------------------

This post was also our experience.

I don't think it's a good idea to move to NC, nor to buy a home without experience in the school district - rent first, imho. I'm so glad we didn't purchase, so we were free to move without losing money.

Remember that in NC you would only have one year to file a due process, most every other state gives families two years, so your leverage is gone with delays. This is another reason to avoid the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary