Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 01:44 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times

Advertisements

My car has reached the point where I can no longer justify sinking any more money into it.

The need for a new water pump is the straw that broke the camel's back. Trust me, even if I pay for a new water pump to keep me going there are at least $1,200 worth of other repairs looming (per my very reputable mechanic). So I am now weighing my options and seriously considering buying a "new to me" used car.

My budget is tight (under $10K) and I'm leaning towards getting something like a used Toyota corolla or Honda civic.

Anybody have a recommendation on a good local used car sales places here in the Triangle? Any places to avoid? How's the local CarMax? I'm in Raleigh but am open to going to dealers in other towns. I will be scouring Craig’s list as well.

BTW, if anybody has first hand reviews or recommendations on other smaller cars that they like (maybe a ford focus?) I'm all ears.

Thanks!

~ NRG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 01:51 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,023,401 times
If/when you check out CarMax, check out AuctionDirect across Glenwood. Both have inventory listed online

I've always been partial to the Mazda3 in the compact car class - even though I am a Nissan guy, I've always preferred the 2003-2005ish 3 to the Corolla, Sentra, Focus, etc.

Civics are good too - Civic and 3 would be my choice in that range.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:51 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
CarMax is very hit or miss and once you are off the lot, service is usually pretty much out the window (in my experience). I am also very hesitant of men in tweed jackets so beware

http://www.javelinamx.com/JavHome/articles/usedcar1.jpg (broken link)

In all honesty, you cannot go wrong with a Honda. It will be more expensive but it should last as long as it has been taken care of AND if you find yourself in the same situation in a few years, it depreciates at a much smaller clip than any other vehicle, MPG is great with civics and they usually have a pretty good amount of leg room etc. Good luck.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:00 PM

76 posts, read 220,091 times
When I shopped for a used car, I wasn't impressed with Car Max. I ended up buying a used Suzuki from Southern States. It was a 2005 with 15K miles for $11,000 (loaded with extras). That was 2 years ago and I haven't had any problems with it.
I'd say any non-American car is good. I've owned and love my Hyundai's, but I like the Suzuki too. Any Honda, Toyota, etc would prob be a best bet

Old 09-10-2008, 02:01 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
If you can go $10K, you might consider my plan.

The last few cars I've bought new are base Corolla CE models w/o the gadgets. Just got an 08 Corolla for $12K after rebates. New, no miles, full warranty.

Used Corollas are selling high now. Sold my 03 to Carmax for $7,500 and they flipped it for $13K in 3 days. Car had 57K and a few cosmetic blemishes from hail but was well kept.

The Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris might also be worth considering stripped but new.

Business is slow at dealers. Why take a chance on an abused rental car or camouflaged flood vehicle. Leave off the gadgets and buy new for less.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:02 PM

569 posts, read 1,978,478 times
All the used cars I ever bought were from private individuals. That is where the best deals are. Just be sure to pay your mechanic to give it a good check up before buying.

I have always heard that the best place to buy a used car is from a new car dealer. Supposedly they only keep the best of the trade-ins on their lot and wholesale the rest. Not sure if that is true, and the prices are probably at the high end of the range.

I only know one person who bought a car at CarMax, and they had a lot of problems with it. Don't know if that was an anomaly or not.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:02 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
NRG,

My wife has a 2007 Focus, and it seems OK. Peppy. Could give better mileage, but it is about 25-26 MPG on her 12 mile commute to the Park.
It only has about 8,000 miles on it in 17 months.
We don't really take it anywhere else but for groceries, so I don't know what it will deliver on the highway.
Her sister has a 2005(?) Focus, and has much higher mileage on it, and likes it a lot.

Focuses have likely depreciated faster than the Corolla or Honda, and the price for a comparable vehicle may be lower. It may be a good value, if the car is in great shape.

I like Consumer Reports April Auto issues, which are full of car feature discussions, and reliability charts.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 09-10-2008 at 03:16 PM..

Old 09-10-2008, 02:06 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Focus has improved a lot in the last few years.

Only drawback is whether Ford will survive to honor the warranty. Same with Chrysler.

GM quality is coming up per Consumer Reports.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:15 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,921,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
If you can go $10K, you might consider my plan.

The last few cars I've bought new are base Corolla CE models w/o the gadgets. Just got an 08 Corolla for $12K after rebates. New, no miles, full warranty.

Used Corollas are selling high now. Sold my 03 to Carmax for $7,500 and they flipped it for $13K in 3 days. Car had 57K and a few cosmetic blemishes from hail but was well kept.

The Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris might also be worth considering stripped but new.

Business is slow at dealers. Why take a chance on an abused rental car or camouflaged flood vehicle. Leave off the gadgets and buy new for less.
I just shopped the corolla and never saw anything even remotely close to $12,000? Are you serious? All Corollas, even the base comes with AC, power windows and locks. The sticker price for an 08 is $16,300, minimum. How in the world did you pay $12,000. There is just no way.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:16 PM

7 posts, read 69,100 times
I've had a recent great experience with CarMax. Go see 'Old cheap Paul' he's been there forever and was very nice to work with. Great price and a great warranty on our car. No problems at all, and even though it is against their policy we got four new tires installed because two were borderline and the car is all whell drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary