Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 12:13 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
Quote from nc tv14,,, “There are so many people that are unemployed. In our area alone -- we serve the capital area, which is Wake and Johnston counties -- the number of individuals that are currently unemployed in our area is over 29,000." wow thats alot of competition,,,,,,,,,, Please keep this in mind if you think this is the best place for jobs,,,,,not good, This area never did have the job growth needed to cover the transplant migration. Ya the whole country is in a mess but this was called in posts over two years ago when others would say he is just chicken little and the sky is falling. Now we are in bad shape compared to job growth in Texas and other still growing areas, Charlotte still shows job growth but who nows with the banking mess imploding. Jobs equal growth not growth equals jobs,,,,,Time sorts out the reality and it has, Think before you move folks,,please take care of your families first before worring about warm weather.
29,000 can sound like a huge number, but keep it in perspective. There are at least 25,000 job openings in the area on any given day. So the ratio is still almost 1:1. Sure, many of these jobs are entry level, retail, or lower paying jobs, but they are jobs nonetheless. I agree, the concept of a gold rush boom is over, but it is still much better here then just about anywhere else. If you want a job, not necessarily your dream job, there is work.
HOWEVER, as someone who follows the markets and the economy pretty intensly, we are in for much harder times here and everywhere. The storm has yet to hit, but rest assured people, it is a coming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 12:17 PM

50 posts, read 186,372 times
It doesn't need to get so exact, but per the city of Raleigh census estimate of july 2008 (http://www.raleighnc.gov/publication..._July_2008.pdf), the population is 380,173. 5.4% based on the unemployment rates for metropolitan areas puts it at only 20,500...we just gained 9000 jobs...how exciting. It sounds like the news broadcast might have included some other townships.

I have lived in Raleigh all of my 31 years and love this town. I hope people will find something they want and take up residency here. Just like many other areas, this is a great place to be, but it is not for everyone. Don't take it from the lovers/haters on this board...

Old 09-18-2008, 12:42 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
Quote:
Raleigh is ranked 153 for metros with a rate of 5.4% so the news report of 29000 would be true. here is the link Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas
Yes, and compared to the US rate of 6.0%, it's still lower than the average for the country. My point was to say that NC was in the bottom 11 states for employment is irrelevant and misleading for the purposes of this forum.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:58 PM

577 posts, read 1,901,340 times
I beleive that Raleigh at 5.4 is just the city, and not the county were most people live like Cary ,Apex Holly springs wake forest, and here is were the misunderstanding really starts. alot of people live in those other towns and work in raleigh but the unempoyement rates are not included in Raleigh rates. The over all state of NC is a measure of all the areas and is a major factor. I would be willing to bet that more people on this site are looking to live in the surrounding areas then in Raleigh and those areas list different rates not included in Raleigh, but there is no break down for this as a whole, but again just as the article stated 29,000 are looking for jobs that they are aware of and most likley alot more then that. I agree with Carolina Cowboy its gonna get alot worse. The bottom line your personal feeling on something can get you an argument and facts get you some ones personal feelings but a job gets you a living. l

Old 09-18-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
I beleive that Raleigh at 5.4 is just the city, and not the county were most people live like Cary ,Apex Holly springs wake forest, and here is were the misunderstanding really starts. alot of people live in those other towns and work in raleigh but the unempoyement rates are not included in Raleigh rates. The over all state of NC is a measure of all the areas and is a major factor. I would be willing to bet that more people on this site are looking to live in the surrounding areas then in Raleigh and those areas list different rates not included in Raleigh, but there is no break down for this as a whole, but again just as the article stated 29,000 are looking for jobs that they are aware of and most likley alot more then that. I agree with Carolina Cowboy its gonna get alot worse. The bottom line your personal feeling on something can get you an argument and facts get you some ones personal feelings but a job gets you a living. l
Sorry, but you're incorrect. The rate is for the MSA.

The Raleigh-Cary MSA comprises Wake, Franklin and Johnston counties.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:59 PM

577 posts, read 1,901,340 times
Map: 2008 July Raleigh-Cary, NC MSA Unemployment Rate, Percent (GeoFRED: Geographic Federal Reserve Economic Data) You are correct.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:20 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,721,431 times
Durham MSA is at 5.7% also. Where does that leave Chapel Hill though?

Old 09-18-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
Durham MSA is at 5.7% also. Where does that leave Chapel Hill though?
CH is in the Durham MSA. The Durham MSA includes the following counties: Chatham County, Durham County, Orange County, Person County.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:36 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
wow.....I could have sworn we were in America. I guess not.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:38 PM

415 posts, read 1,109,762 times
Does 29,000 unemployed people mean 29,000 people who are looking for a job? I don't know the statistical definition of unemployed, but what about homemakers and others who are not working in a paid position but are not interested in doing that?

I'm one of those "stupid" people who arrived here with no job. You never know the reasons people might do this. I was in a very bad situation in a foreign country and needed to get out right away. I chose this area because my mamma lives here and I figured I might as well be near family. Plus, it's a beautiful, vibrant area.

I have been looking for a job since the beginning of August. It's not that there are no jobs to be had. There are lots. I get calls nearly every day from companies looking for sales people. I see lots of signs at retail stores saying that they're looking to hire. Apparently jobs in the healthcare field are plentiful as well.

I'm not looking for jobs in those areas, but if I get desperate you can bet that I'm going to consider a fabulous career in sales.

Am I unemployed? Yes. Am I desperate? Not yet!

Jenny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary