Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 09:10 PM

646 posts, read 2,050,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
Most all Maryland blue crabs come from North Carolina.
Shhh...I thought that was a NC secret!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 09:15 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,887 times
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoya View Post
Shhh...I thought that was a NC secret!
Most Maryland natives will argue with you over this. And they would be wrong. My wife fried up some bogue sound soft shell crabs this evening that were fantastic.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:29 PM

646 posts, read 2,050,854 times
Quote:
Most Maryland natives will argue with you over this. And they would be wrong. My wife fried up some bogue sound soft shell crabs this evening that were fantastic.
That sounds good.....it's been awhile since I've had soft-shell crabs.

To bad most places (fish markets and resturants) are going to be closed tomorrow....because I see a craving coming on.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:09 PM

182 posts, read 386,526 times
I'd like to see a Legal Seafood here

Old 07-04-2009, 04:15 PM

260 posts, read 545,888 times
Quote:
Maryland native here.... and there are more than enough crabs still coming out of the Chesapeake and the various tributaries.

Maryland crabs - steamed crabs - are the absolute best. There can't be any argument. We don't boil seafood and ruin it!

Old 07-04-2009, 09:46 PM

Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb24 View Post
Maryland native here.... and there are more than enough crabs still coming out of the Chesapeake and the various tributaries.

Maryland crabs - steamed crabs - are the absolute best. There can't be any argument. We don't boil seafood and ruin it!
The facts are the facts. NC and La produce the most blue crabs in the US. Merryland produces very few. The vast majority of Merryland bluecrabs served are from the coastal waters of the Old North State. Now I will agree that Annapolis giant butter shrimp are the best in the world. Merryland Blue Crabs are much like NC oysters used to be. The beds and total annual harvest was wiped out in the late 80's/early 90's.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:16 AM

519 posts, read 982,217 times
Quote:
The facts are the facts. NC and La produce the most blue crabs in the US. Merryland produces very few. The vast majority of Merryland bluecrabs served are from the coastal waters of the Old North State. Now I will agree that Annapolis giant butter shrimp are the best in the world. Merryland Blue Crabs are much like NC oysters used to be. The beds and total annual harvest was wiped out in the late 80's/early 90's.
Do you have a link for this assertion? Having grown up eating crabs from the Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic Ocean my whole life, it would be nice to compare those crabs to other ones that are popular.

Isn't it improper, and maybe even illegal to say "Maryland" blue crabs when they are actually from another state?

Old 07-05-2009, 06:14 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
Quote:
The Chesapeake crab population has been in trouble for a long time, with strict restrictions on crab harvests. That said, according to States await word on crab disaster declaration - wtop.com, in 2007 Maryland harvested 23.7 million pounds of crabs from the Chesapeake, with another 17.4 million pounds coming from the Virginia side (not clear if this includes soft shell or not, it probably does). North Carolina had 20.6 million pounds of hard crabs harvested along with some number of soft shell crabs (from this link NCDMF Stock Status). It was a little harder to find Louisiana numbers, but this link http://www2.lsuagcenter.com/agsummary/narrative.aspx mentions annual harvests of 40-50 million pounds of hard crabs. I do think it's safe to say that NC produces very few crabs in comparision to Louisiana! And the US only produces 30% itself, the other 70% is imported (http://www.ncwaterman.com/crabs/problem.htm). So, unless you are out there pulling the crabs from the water yourself, or buying them off a boat, who knows where they really came from!?!

Last edited by adlnc07; 07-05-2009 at 06:29 AM..

Old 07-05-2009, 12:49 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb24 View Post

I know the Chesapeake has come a long way in it's clean up efforts since the 1980s when the bay was really toxic. But I still don't think I would eat anything thing from the Chesapeake... especially a crustean which is basically the "garbage cleaners" of the ocean. But maybe it's the extra toxins in the Chesapeake that is giving them taste that Marylanders prefer.

And as far as crab cakes go, personally I think dungeness crabs make much better crab cakes. Best I've ever had was on a dive trip in Hoodsport, Wa.

But this weekend I had some mighty fine soft shell crabs from Stump Sound, NC. Oh, that was some good eats!!!

Old 07-05-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
I know the Chesapeake has come a long way in it's clean up efforts since the 1980s when the bay was really toxic. But I still don't think I would eat anything thing from the Chesapeake... especially a crustean which is basically the "garbage cleaners" of the ocean. But maybe it's the extra toxins in the Chesapeake that is giving them taste that Marylanders prefer.

And as far as crab cakes go, personally I think dungeness crabs make much better crab cakes. Best I've ever had was on a dive trip in Hoodsport, Wa.

But this weekend I had some mighty fine soft shell crabs from Stump Sound, NC. Oh, that was some good eats!!!
Oh man those sound great. I have had Stump Sound oysters and absolutely love the unique way that they taste. Never had the Stump Sound soft shells. I just bought some this morning in Salter Path that were pulled from the North River a few hours earlier. Going in the skillet in about an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary