Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 07:58 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Why is this a thread bashing Long Island. Like people in Long Island are more savage than any other metro area in the country? It's disgusting what happened, but this could have been Omaha, NE or Boise, ID. It's sick and sad, but why is this Long Island's fault?
Have to agree with this; it's not a Long Island thing. This could have happened in any area of the country. If you are going to blame it on Long Islanders than you should be pretty concerned about shopping in many triangle area stores as well because there are tons of fresh-off-the-interstate Long Islanders "stampeding" into them as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 08:33 PM

945 posts, read 1,972,389 times
It's a different world up in NY. A coworker of mine was just talking about the mentality up there, as she grew up in NY. She just had to shake her head about how they are. The pace is not exactly slow, so they are in such a hurry to get where they are going and you best not be in their way. I think that is why so many move down here. A much better pace of life and less taxes to boot.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:33 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,961 times
When I decide to move somewhere I now choose to stay as far away from a Wal-Mart as I can. Their skeevy clientele leave a lot to be desired.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:58 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,268,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Why is this a thread bashing Long Island. Like people in Long Island are more savage than any other metro area in the country? It's disgusting what happened, but this could have been Omaha, NE or Boise, ID. It's sick and sad, but why is this Long Island's fault?
Ah, so true.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:51 AM

15 posts, read 45,608 times
National chains like WalMart are so blinded by the dollar, I am not surprised this happend at all. I worked in retail management for a number of years and this could happen anywhere. Yes, the shoppers are responsible for murdering this man, but WalMart is to blame as well.
These companies get people so worked up over a deep discount on last years merchandise, customers know that there are only limited supplies, they have no crowd control, they had over 2,000 cutomers try to squeeze through a 20 foot doorway all at the same time.
While working in retail for a national company, I was punched twice, had someone tell me they hoped that I died because we couldnt get them EXACTLY the product they wanted, had a customer run over a co worker of mine...... I could go on forever...This is not unusual, companies do little or nothing about customers like that, because the "customer is always right" or they dont want to lose the income.
These companies just arent worth it. They dont care about their employees or the community they go into.
Consider shopping local this holiday season. Your money will go directly back into your community. You may have to pay a few cents more, but its totally worth it.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:13 AM

945 posts, read 1,972,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocheesmo View Post
National chains like WalMart are so blinded by the dollar, I am not surprised this happend at all. I worked in retail management for a number of years and this could happen anywhere. Yes, the shoppers are responsible for murdering this man, but WalMart is to blame as well.
This is a rude New Yorker attitude problem. If it was WalMart, then it would be happening everywhere. People need to stop blaming big business for everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocheesmo View Post
Consider shopping local this holiday season. Your money will go directly back into your community.
Baloney. Just because someone may buy from a local family owned business does not mean that the owner is going to give all the proceeds back to the community. They may just go to a big box store and buy themselves a Sony TV. WalMart actually gives a lot of money back to local communities. I am not a WalMart lover at all, but to blame them for all that is wrong with the world and to pretend that local business owners are all about giving back to their community is absolutely ridiculous.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:46 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
This is a rude New Yorker attitude problem. If it was WalMart, then it would be happening everywhere. People need to stop blaming big business for everything.
I don't know about that. I attended a Black Friday once at Carolina Place Mall in Pineville NC and I fell to the ground a couple of times thanks to the constant pushing and shoving that occured behind me. I am a big guy (6ft 4inch 225 pounds) so I was able to gather my strength and get back up. A weaker smaller person can easily get killed in such a situation.

This is a sad story, but I honestly don't think anyone knew there was a person on the ground dying. Even if they did know, there was nothing they could've done about it. In a situation like this (I've been there so I know) it is impossible to alert the crowd outside of the store of something without police intervention. People in both the North and South are just nuts during black Friday. I have seen fist fights in the parking lots here in the Charlotte area during this time of year. The holidays, money, and bargains brings out the worst in people.

This is why half of my shopping is done before Halloween and the other half is done after New Years!!!

Old 11-29-2008, 09:15 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Yes, that was quite a moronic statement. To use that logic, you could also say if this was a "rude new yorker thing", it would be happening at every store in NY.

This had nothing to do with the fact that the store was a national chain or that it was located in Long Island....it was a very unforunate incidient that could have happened at any store in any area of the country when a large number of people are trying to take advantage of big sales.

Was it only about "crazy Raleighnites" when there was a riot of 200 people at Triangle Towne Center?

Old 11-29-2008, 11:07 PM

39 posts, read 142,598 times
It's not a Long Island incident, it's a Green Acres mall incident...

Old 11-30-2008, 06:44 AM

446 posts, read 1,394,578 times
I've never put my self in the position to be around such animals and never will....i'll gladly pay a little more to avoid crazy people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary