Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2007, 08:34 PM

51 posts, read 284,183 times

Advertisements

Has anyone moved from the Phoenix/Scottsdale area to Raleigh? I would love to hear your feedback and impressions of the Raleigh area. Which do you like better and why? N. Scottsdale is very nice, esp with all the new stuff coming, so we are not 100% sure whether to make the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 04:14 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,723,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
Has anyone moved from the Phoenix/Scottsdale area to Raleigh? I would love to hear your feedback and impressions of the Raleigh area. Which do you like better and why? N. Scottsdale is very nice, esp with all the new stuff coming, so we are not 100% sure whether to make the move.
Yeah, buddy that would be me. I actually spent the last two years living in Chandler off of Alma School and Queen Creek Rd. I spent a lot of time hanging out in Scottsdale so I am familiar with that area. I have only been in Durham for two months. I'm not married nor do I have a mate so you'll have to factor that into what I'm about to say. I moved here strictly for a job. I would say that the first thing is that people here tend to be a bit more reserved. They want to get to know you first before they open up to you. That's what others from North Carolina have told me and that's what I've experienced myself. In Phoenix/Chandler, people were a bit more open and they didn't have to necessarily get to know before they opened up. The people are really nice once they open up.

The other difference I noticed is the pace. People move slower here. I'm originially from Florida and the pace in Phoenix was slower than Florida but not that much slower. The pace and the people here are wayyyyyyy slower than Phoenix/Chandler/Scottsdale.

If you're a single dude, the women here are much more reserved than the girls I've had experience with in the Phoenix area. Your everyday girl here isn't going to necessarily come up to and start conversating about nothing so that she can get your number or something like that. You have to make a real effort here whereas in Phoenix for me, from the gym to my everyday goings and comings, I didn't necessarily have to make a large effort to talk to women like you have to do here. Also, and my sister noticed this last week as we walked thru Crabtree Mall in North Raliegh and Southpoint in Durham, there are a lot of people here who are "coupled up". Being from Florida, my sister and I aren't used to seeing so many young people whom are "coupled up" and I sure didn't see as much of it in Phoenix/Chandler/Scottsdale among the young set. So if you're single, you may find that you'll have to work much harder here. Also, there are a lot of 'cute' girls here, but not necessarily a lot of 'hot' women. There are some but you'll have to look harder which is something you don't have to do in Phoenix.

For the most part, your money will go a little further here, but it's not like going from CA to AZ. Overall, the area is nice. North Raliegh is nice and I like that area as well as downtown Raliegh. I live in South Durham in Hope Valley and love it. Chapel Hill is nice and quaint with a small town college feel to it. The whole Triangle in my opinion has a small town feel in a big metro area sort of feel to it. Be prepared to hear people talk about church more than you've ever heard in your life. It's just a way of life here and some people can adjust and some can't. Also, if you're into partying hard, don't come here and expect that. People here have fun but clubbing and going to ultra lounges isn't necessarily what they live and die for. It's more family oriented, hanging out with girlfriend/boyfriend sort of environment.

As you know, the weather in Phoenix is much different so be prepared for a longer period of cold weather. Right now in Florida and Phoenix, it's warm but it's about 38 degrees as I type this. You have to adjust how they do things here. Everyone talks about how a number of transplants are moving into the area and how that'll help change things, but the point is that those people are moving here for the slower lifestyle that the area offers and the cost of living. They aren't trying make things speed up here nor are they trying to make the people here act like something they're not. Which is good b/c we don't need another Las Vegas or what have you b/c every place is unique.

Overall, based on everything I said above, I like Chandler/Phoenix more. I'm not saying that this area isn't a good area or what not, but if I were married and a more reserved person, I would probably like this place a little more. It is what it is! If you can adjust to the people and the way things are done here then you should be okay. If you're a very outgoing person like myself and are used to having people around you who are like that, then you may want to think about how long it'll take to adjust to not being in that type of environment. It takes a little longer to make friends here. If you don't necessarily have to move, like for a job, I would say take a long hard look.

If you want a place that is similar to Phoenix in some respects, you may want to look in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary