Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 10:13 AM

447 posts, read 1,717,833 times

Advertisements

Congrats to Cary.

Now that the city is safe it can work on getting some personality beyond chain stores and beige and brick houses on 1/10th acre lots. But that is what makes it so safe, people get so bored all they do is shop and sleep.

In all honesty it is good news, and I am happy for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 10:45 AM

675 posts, read 1,832,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckreis View Post
Now that the city is safe it can work on getting some personality beyond chain stores and beige and brick houses on 1/10th acre lots. But that is what makes it so safe, people get so bored all they do is shop and sleep.
That's kind of a good point. In Cary, people are either in their cars, in a shopping plaza, or in a large public space surrounded by people. That's fine for some, and it does lead to a very safe, if bland, existence.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
That's kind of a good point. In Cary, people are either in their cars, in a shopping plaza, or in a large public space surrounded by people. That's fine for some, and it does lead to a very safe, if bland, existence.
Some people like that, my parents for one, I would rather have a few gunshots and crackheads to keep life interesting. On my drive to work I have seen drug deals and hookers getting picked up, that is life!

Old 12-03-2008, 12:13 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
I think crime can happen in those places too!

Old 12-03-2008, 12:35 PM

675 posts, read 1,832,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Yes, but the article refers specifically to the crimes: "murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary and motor vehicle theft." Other than motor vehicle theft and burglary, none of those crimes are very commonplace in what is, let's face it, a very large suburb. Does anyone really think of Cary as a "city" in any traditional sense of the term?

I'd love to see statistics on how many cars in Cary are covered at night vs. not, I bet that explains the lack of motor vehicle theft. I'm not sure exactly what my definition of a "city" is vs. the census-type definition, but part of my case definitely includes abundant on-street parking and lack of 1 or 2-car garages.

And burglary, well, that can happen anywhere, but is much less likely in neighborhoods with any combination of the following: gates, postage-stamp lawns and nosy neighbors.

I'm really not knocking Cary. It's a great place for many people. I guess my point is, take away this "city" status and you have exactly what every "real" city in the country has: The really nice, expensive, safe suburb everyone wants to live in. Cary just managed to pack in more people than most of those other towns and became a "city" according to some actuarial table somewhere.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:40 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
Quote:
Does anyone really think of Cary as a "city" in any traditional sense of the term?
I don't! Hell, it's not even in a different county. But good for them in terms of the safety ranking.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:41 PM

521 posts, read 1,598,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
And non-blandness, from time to time!

Old 12-03-2008, 01:45 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,435,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
I don't! Hell, it's not even in a different county. But good for them in terms of the safety ranking.
Well.. I certainly don't consider it a town... isn't it still offiically "Town of Cary."

Old 12-03-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
Well.. I certainly don't consider it a town... isn't it still offiically "Town of Cary."
I consider it an annoyance. I actually have not been there in over a year, and even then it was a commando raid to get $3 Buck Chuck at Trader Joe's. I will admit though, in the hour I was there I was never raped, my car was not jacked and no one killed me!

Of course I go to Durham every weekend and I have never been raped, car jacked or murdered there. I was burgled when I lived there though!

Old 12-03-2008, 02:07 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,047,733 times
Default reply

I have lived in Raleigh all of my (minus college) and have been in Cary less than 10 times. I am sure it is nice and clean and full of growth. The newness of it all is too much for me. To each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary