Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2008, 07:12 PM

44 posts, read 137,813 times

Advertisements

Hi all - I'll be moving to Raleigh in June from out of state. I am looking to rent a home in Cary. I've heard that realtors have access to a MLS for all homes listed for rent, which sounds useful. However, does anybody know what kind of commission the realtors would charge for helping me find a home? I know that home owners who are trying to find tenants usually pay a commission to property management services or realtors. Is there typically a "finder's fee" charged to the tenant too?

Since I'm not from the area, I would also appreciate it if anybody has any specific realtor recommendations. Thanks for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 07:25 PM

584 posts, read 2,423,032 times
Go to nchomerentals.com and see a list of homes for rent.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:05 PM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planningmove View Post
Hi all - I'll be moving to Raleigh in June from out of state. I am looking to rent a home in Cary. I've heard that realtors have access to a MLS for all homes listed for rent, which sounds useful. However, does anybody know what kind of commission the realtors would charge for helping me find a home? I know that home owners who are trying to find tenants usually pay a commission to property management services or realtors. Is there typically a "finder's fee" charged to the tenant too?

Since I'm not from the area, I would also appreciate it if anybody has any specific realtor recommendations. Thanks for the advice.
A Realtor can offer the convenience of helping you to view multiple homes listed on the MLS by multiple property managers.
Typically the owner or property manager pays the Realtor a "showing fee," which may be from $50 to $500, depending on the owner or property manager.

The tenant does not typically pay the showing Realtor. We also don't "represent" the tenant in negotiations, or filling out leases. The property manager or owner will have a lease. North Carolina just doesn't offer tenant representation agency status as an agent's role.

Since the pay can be minimal, some Realtors don't handle rentals, but if you find one that does, it is a fairly painless way to judge how Realtors deport themselves, and if that is a person you would consider working with if you decide to buy in the future.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:30 PM

44 posts, read 137,813 times
Thanks - it sounds like I'd have nothing to lose by working with a realtor as a tenant.

What are the major real estate agencies in the area?

Old 12-07-2008, 08:44 PM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planningmove View Post
Thanks - it sounds like I'd have nothing to lose by working with a realtor as a tenant.

What are the major real estate agencies in the area?

What can I say?

Keller Williams has a few fair-sized offices...

Coldwell Banker, Howard Perry and Walston
Coldwell Banker, Advantage
Fonville Morisey
Prudential
YSU, Young Simpson Underwood
Allen Tate
Remax

Some property managers:
Block and Associates
Rhyne Rental
Franchelle Stevens
Bev Roberts Rentals
Rhyne Rentals
The Preiss Company
Wilson Property Management
Cameron Property Management
Vince Thai

And there are a lot of individual agents who put their own and friends' properties onto the MLS.
So, you can see that working with one agent may conveniently get you access to homes listed by a lot of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary