Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 04:53 AM

451 posts, read 1,654,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
If you are indeed who PDXmom says you are, then you would not be comfortable with anything other than surrounding yourself with boring white people at beige box stores all day!
That's uncalled for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 06:19 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,269,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
That's uncalled for.
I realize that many people may think that, but given this member's previous post, especially under his pseudonym, I felt it was necessary to highlight where he was coming from, lest the original posters' read what he writes in other threads.

Basically, I think that people should realize that the Triangle offers a lot more options than the bland suburban existence that one can find in so many other cities in America. In my person experience, Cary alone doesn't offer much more than a somewhat better maintained version of suburbia. The other cities and towns in the Triangle do, especially Durham and most of those in Orange County.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:18 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,970,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
If you are indeed who PDXmom says you are, then you would not be comfortable with anything other than surrounding yourself with boring white people at beige box stores all day!
It's him...back to ruin the forum under another name. As usual.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:22 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,929,792 times
I can say that we used to have a house in Durham, and that was fine and good until we had a child and decided we wanted a better school system. I know plenty of people who are not satisfied with the school system in Durham, and it was certainly a big part of the difficulty we had selling our house. We have moved to the Orange county school district, which Hillsborough is a part of, and feel more comfortable with that. We can't afford to be in the CH/C school system, but it has an even better reputation.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:52 PM

67 posts, read 202,605 times
Let's see if I can give this a whirl....

Hillsborough is awesome in my opinion but I have been here my entire life. It is a small town, about 6000 residents and growing. Chapel Hill/Carrboro are a little more liberal than Hillsborough but it is shifting more and more away from any conservativism. As I have stated before, just to give an idea of how it is shifting, our county commissioner publicly stated republicans are not welcomed in Orange County. The democrats in the town made it a point to rip up any and all conservative signs during the election. So much for tolerance.

There are two school districts, Orange County (Hillsborough) and the Chapel Hill/Carrboro Schools. Based on my experiences in the OC school district it sucked. If you belonged to certain cliques then you were fine, if you didn't "belong" then you were basically ignored. I will never forget being asked by the councilor what I wanted to be when I grew up, I said a veterinarian, he said I was too stupid. But told the football player he could be a lawyer. The Chapel Hill/Carrboro schools were very competitive, people did whatever they could to get their kid in the schools in Chapel Hill.

The taxes in this county are RIDICULOUS! Our genius commissioners recently made the decision to raise property taxes to 99.9 per $100. But they did pat themselves on the back for not going to $1.00. I myself will not be able to live here when I want to buy my own home because I will not be able to afford it. Housing prices are pretty high also but I have been told 500,000 for a house is affordable.

The people are mostly friendly and warm. Downtown is thriving we have a coffee shop, various restaurants like Saratoga Grill (try the Honey Almond Salmon), we have a bar The Blue Lagoon (I think) which is doing well. We also have a lot of homespun activities that happen throughout the year. As a history nut I love the Candlelight Tour at Christmas. There is a haunted Hillsborough tour at Halloween, there is the Christmas Parade (hillbillies included), home crafts parade and unless they changed it I believe there is the spirit parade for Orange High's homecoming.

And to comment on the whole suburban thing. Personally, the thought of living in a housing development makes me sick. To have my house look like the two beside of me that are so close I can spit through the upstairs window bothers me. I really dislike the fact that a committee has the authority to tell me what plants I can have, what color I can paint my house (I would paint it hot pink just to tick them off), and that I have to water my lawn when the local water supply is a giant sand box. I grew up in wide open space until they build 40 in my backyard and everything grew around me. Not exactly what I asked for.

And as for boring white people, honey I may be white but I am far from boring. You can't be boring and wear a zebra printed trench coat or leopard print scrub shoes to work or crave a bright red (including the sweet, sweet rumble of the engine) Mustang and red hair. I think I am all that, that is the only opinion that matters.

Last edited by HillsboroughNative; 12-18-2008 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: Typed in a hurry

Old 12-18-2008, 05:08 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,399,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I can say that we used to have a house in Durham, and that was fine and good until we had a child and decided we wanted a better school system. I know plenty of people who are not satisfied with the school system in Durham, and it was certainly a big part of the difficulty we had selling our house.

Great post. This is what I hear more often than not.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:12 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,399,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillsboroughNative View Post
Chapel Hill/Carrboro are a little more liberal than Hillsborough but it is shifting more and more away from any conservativism. As I have stated before, just to give an idea of how it is shifting, our county commissioner publicly stated republicans are not welcomed in Orange County. The democrats in the town made it a point to rip up any and all conservative signs during the election. So much for tolerance.

Yep. Total intolerance. That is one of the many reasons that I don't have an interest in that side of the Triangle. I much prefer places where people can find common ground and have calm discussions, without personal attacks. Thank you for verifying the way it is over there.

Last edited by Charlton Dude; 12-18-2008 at 05:33 PM..

Old 12-18-2008, 06:14 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,236,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Yep. Total intolerance. That is one of the many reasons that I don't have an interest in that side of the Triangle. I much prefer places where people can find common ground and have calm discussions, without personal attacks. Thank you for verifying the way it is over there.
I think I speak for many folks here in Orange County....thank you....thank you...thank you.....

Please feel free to stay on YOUR side of the Triangle....

Old 12-18-2008, 06:30 PM

Well in defense to Charlton one of the main reasons I am getting out of Orange County as fast as I can is because of the politics of this place. This is where I grew up, this is where my family has lived since 1756. I have a true love for it and it will always be my home and I love the Orange County GOP folks, so wonderful. But when my car is vandalized because I have a McCain/Palin sticker (among other conservative stickers), when the county commissioner who is an elected official, who are suppose to look out for the ENTIRE community states that certain residents are not welcomed...then enough is enough and it is time to move on.

Even though the defiant woman that I am wants to flip off the whole town, put the biggest conservative sign/banner I can find on my lawn for all to see and beg someone to say something. Which is why I worked election day again, I didn't need the cold rain for the icy looks I got from the democrats. Had fun though!

It is a crying shame that only one opinion in Orange County is allowed and the rest of us are suppose to play along and stay quiet. Again, so much for tolerance. And I know, I know because I am conservative I deserve what I get. Oops.

Last edited by HillsboroughNative; 12-18-2008 at 06:39 PM..

Old 12-18-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
I would love to find a place that I can calmly discuss things without attacks and the sad part is not a lot of people will admit OC is like that. I want to be in a place that is more even instead of just one side which is why, like I just said, I need to get out of Orange county. Love it, always will because this is my home but soon as I have enough saved for a down payment on my own home I am out. Probably just across the border in Mebane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary