Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 06:38 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,272,577 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty libertarian in my politics - definitely not in line with most of Orange County - but I've never felt out of place or unwelcome. Being in the minority does keep a person on his toes, though.

Personally, I find political bumper stickers and signs kind of silly regardless of the party. If people would step back and take a look at all levels of government for what they really are, they'd see that we're almost always faced with the evil of two lessers at election time.

I enjoy Orange County for the things that matter in life - nice people, beautiful rural areas, a focus on education, support for local businesses, a fun and lively cultural scene, lots of green space for my daughter, nice bicycle paths for me --- generally peaceful and low-stress living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 08:26 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,401,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillsboroughNative View Post
Well in defense to Charlton one of the main reasons I am getting out of Orange County as fast as I can is because of the politics of this place. This is where I grew up, this is where my family has lived since 1756. I have a true love for it and it will always be my home and I love the Orange County GOP folks, so wonderful. But when my car is vandalized because I have a McCain/Palin sticker (among other conservative stickers), when the county commissioner who is an elected official, who are suppose to look out for the ENTIRE community states that certain residents are not welcomed...then enough is enough and it is time to move on.

Even though the defiant woman that I am wants to flip off the whole town, put the biggest conservative sign/banner I can find on my lawn for all to see and beg someone to say something. Which is why I worked election day again, I didn't need the cold rain for the icy looks I got from the democrats. Had fun though!

It is a crying shame that only one opinion in Orange County is allowed and the rest of us are suppose to play along and stay quiet. Again, so much for tolerance. And I know, I know because I am conservative I deserve what I get. Oops.
Well this is very enlightening. From so many things I have read and so many people I have heard from, this is the conclusion I had already come to. It's nice to hear from someone who actually lives there and can admit what has happened. It is unfortunate that a great area can turn into this. Unfortunately it is happening in many places. This year has shown the true colors of so many people. I am glad you see it and are spreading the word. You should not have to live in the shadows, although some would like you to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillsboroughNative View Post
I would love to find a place that I can calmly discuss things without attacks and the sad part is not a lot of people will admit OC is like that. I want to be in a place that is more even instead of just one side which is why, like I just said, I need to get out of Orange county. Love it, always will because this is my home but soon as I have enough saved for a down payment on my own home I am out. Probably just across the border in Mebane.
I would check out the western and southwestern portions of Wake County. It seems to be much more even there. I can't speak for eastern or northeastern Wake County, but I am sure some others can pipe in on that.

I suppose if one is far to the left and only wants to hear what they like, then CH and surrounding areas may be good for them. It's a shame that they would live in a closed off bubble and not want to hear different opinions. Last I looked, everyone's opinion mattered, but I guess if they had their way, that would not be the case.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:13 AM

67 posts, read 202,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Well this is very enlightening. From so many things I have read and so many people I have heard from, this is the conclusion I had already come to. It's nice to hear from someone who actually lives there and can admit what has happened. It is unfortunate that a great area can turn into this. Unfortunately it is happening in many places. This year has shown the true colors of so many people. I am glad you see it and are spreading the word. You should not have to live in the shadows, although some would like you to.

I would check out the western and southwestern portions of Wake County. It seems to be much more even there. I can't speak for eastern or northeastern Wake County, but I am sure some others can pipe in on that.

I suppose if one is far to the left and only wants to hear what they like, then CH and surrounding areas may be good for them. It's a shame that they would live in a closed off bubble and not want to hear different opinions. Last I looked, everyone's opinion mattered, but I guess if they had their way, that would not be the case.
I completely agree with you. I have been in OC my entire life so I have watched things happen and progress to the point they are at now. And the whole reason I became involved in the local politics is because I am expected to be just like everyone else around here. I am a young, confident woman therefore I must be a democrat. So I thought, I could sit here and run my mouth or get out there and walk the walk on where I stand.

It is very sad to see what Hillsborough is beginning to turn into. Aside from just the political aspect, we can't get development in here to provide jobs because our commissioners suck. Our locals, who have been here for generations, are disappearing because the taxes continue to rise. They are selling their family homes (want proof look at the Colonial Inn!) and farms and land.

There is little employment unless you work for the local government (which treats their employees like dirt, a peice of paper does not make you smart), Wal-Mart or a local business then you are out of luck.

The commissioners and people from Chapel Hill and Carrboro, talking about what THEY should do with Hillsborough go figure, complain about protecting the rural aspect of the place. Yet they do not whine and cry about the road connecting old and new 86 that was suppose to hold a grand master planned community that is now a gapping hole. How many trees were plowed down for that and then nothing was done to it. The recent vacant field near the State Credit Union was once two houses, they were going to build a nice commercial spot. Now we are left with a field and nobody complains about the impact from that one. And the giant whole carved out of the woods for another expensive housing development that none of the natives can afford that is just sitting there.

I feel like the so called leaders of this town and county care only about certain people, the rest of us they will take out someway so they can have their bubble. I do not want to live in that type of place, I want opinions that vary that is what makes discussions great. A place where everyone is welcomed regardless of political party, lifestyle, religion or whatever. I know it's a long shot and I am certainly not looking for the land of milk and honey with sugar and rainbows. That doesn't exist unless you are dead and in heaven.

I have thought about southern and western wake county, have been looking at a few homes online in that area. I was going to look at Brier Creek because the Charlston style homes out there are awesome! If I have the ability to have a pink or purple or blue house I am all over that but they are out of price range. What can I do. As long as I am within 30 minutes of my family I am good. I give big credit to those that can move away from family because I couldn't do it. And sorry for the long rambling post, that is called the southern waltz. We dance around instead of getting directly to the point.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:22 AM

67 posts, read 202,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Personally, I find political bumper stickers and signs kind of silly regardless of the party. If people would step back and take a look at all levels of government for what they really are, they'd see that we're almost always faced with the evil of two lessers at election time.

I enjoy Orange County for the things that matter in life - nice people, beautiful rural areas, a focus on education, support for local businesses, a fun and lively cultural scene, lots of green space for my daughter, nice bicycle paths for me --- generally peaceful and low-stress living.
That is hard to disagree with also, it's just when I see a sign like Hillsborough is Obama county my rebel side comes out. Then I throw the middle finger in the air, throw on a few McCain/Palin stickers on my car and say kiss my booty. I am my mother's daughter.

And for all of OC's bads there are good like you say. I love taking back roads whenever I can, minus the turdhead tailgating wanting to go 90 mph, so I can just relax. And it is fun, Last Fridays are always a blast and Hog Day too. Also for the autoracing fan we have the OC Speedway. And the Occoneechee Speedway which is fun to walk, has some very cool history too.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:40 PM

4 posts, read 7,803 times
Hillsborough is a really, really nice town that has a pretty good cultural scene for a small town, but it is a small town. The biggest issue with Hillborough is that it's a good drive to any of the other towns. Northeast Durham is your closest drive, but you have to head into central or southern Durham to find much of interest to a young family (other than the Museum of Life and Science which is great). Pittsboro is similar to Hillsborough, just on the south side of Chapel Hill. It's hard to vote for one over the other, but work travel time would likely be a strong factor. If you're a boater/sailor/kayaker/canoer than Pittsboro is better as it's right beside the Haw River and Jordan Lake.

In terms of schools, Pittsboro and Hillsborough have good schools, not sure I can say one is better than the other. Chapel Hill/Carrboro traditionally has the better school. But this is only for two reasons. First is that CH/C families pay a slightly higher tax rate that goes to the schools and presumably brings in better teachers (and that depends on where in Chapel Hill you live). Second, CH/C has (and I apologize for being non-PC) brighter kids - not overall, but the top 10 to 20% of CH/C kids are sons of MDs and PhDs that are very educationally competitive. But they are still public schools and suffer from many of the problems of public schools (e.g. focus on test scores not learning, have to deal with kids whose parents are uninvolved, dealing with the stress that non-English kids put on class room teachers).

CH/C has a slightly better scene than Pittsboro and Hillsborough, but it's still essentially a small town and you'll quickly 'discover' the entire scene. Basically this area is driven by what you and your friends are doing more than what scene there is. Raleigh and Cary are just big enough to have a scene (as my wife, a New Jersey girl, puts it). But all three towns are quite friendly.

Best of luck in your choice - being a native I truly hope our neck of the woods works out for you.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:21 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,289,302 times
I went to Durham Public Schools. My children do not go there. It has nothing to do with race.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:26 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,401,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
I went to Durham Public Schools. My children do not go there. It has nothing to do with race.
Sounds like a good move. Can you explain why you chose not to send your kids to the same schools you went to?

Old 12-23-2008, 01:35 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,700,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
I went to Chapel Hill/Carrboro Schools, and my kids go to Durham Public Schools. I too has nothing to do with race

Old 12-23-2008, 03:07 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,920,903 times
FWIW, I suspect the old Durham High is far different now in its DSA incarnation. I was talking with two co-workers who have their kids there and love the school. Ditto Watts, or Club Blvd., or Creekside, or so many other schools out there in the DPS system.

But that's also just my opinion! Good thing readers of City-Data can get lots of opinions to listen to. :-)

(Just another Bull City resident who could have afforded to buy anywhere else in the Triangle, but loves living in Durham!)

Old 12-23-2008, 03:07 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,246,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Thanks for sharing your story. I think this shows some of the problems with some of the Durham schools. I just would not risk my child's education or safety in the Durham school system. Not that Durham is the only one with issues, but it is one system that stands out as having major problems. That's probably why the majority of families wil choose Wake or Orange County to raise a family.
Just curious, outside of fulfilling your insatiable need for Durham bashing, what does ANY of this have to do with the original topic of comparing Hillsborough to Chapel Hill??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary