Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 08:30 PM

23 posts, read 43,439 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to the RTP area of NC from the Northeast. We have 2 boys 10 & 6. Just wondering how others from the Northeast feel about their move? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 09:03 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,341,427 times
Oh heck no. With any transition there is time to get acquainted with your new area. You boys are at a good age to move IMO. The older they get the harder the move, their old friends back home can make it really tough on moving teenagers.

Some things to consider before the move.

moved from upstate NY over 4 years ago and have not regretted the move all the time. Sometimes during the first year or two when the seasons passed and friends were back in the Northeast doing winter things it was tough. Summers to. Still getting use to fishing the lakes down here, very different than the ones in the NE. NE lakes have so much more vegetation, lakes here are very sterile as fas a vegetation.

Also, know the insects and reptiles here in the area. Nothing that should stop you but just know them ahead of time. The only ones to watch out for are Copper Head snakes, Black Widows, Brown Recruse spiders. Been here 4 years and seen some Widows and Copper Heads and never a Brown Recruse spider at least that I knew of!
But if you know about them and their habitat you can usually avoid them and that is generally a good thing!

So good luck with your research and Happy New Year!

Having a job lined up before you come, not a requirement but one less thing to do when you get here.

Take the time to really research the area before you even think about where you might want to live. A lot of people rent for 7 months to a year to really get to know the place before they buy. Plenty of great apartments and apartment homes available all over the Raleigh area. News ones coming on line everyday!

Decide if you want your kids in public or private schools, visit both when you make your trip(s) here to Raleigh.

Lot is North easterners are spread all over the Raleigh area. Large concentrations live in Cary and Wake Forest but your will find them all over and even a few in Durham.

Your place of employment will determine a lot about where you will live. It was not to long ago that gas was $4 gallon and it changed where people where relocating to. Today gas is $1.59 give or take but everyone knows it will be short lived gas in 2009 will make a come back so commute is still an important consideration.

Ask your self if you have tight family / social circles you travel in? The tighter the circles the longer to breakout of them and hence the tougher the adjustment period to your new home. IMO this is tougher than some people think.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:25 PM

42 posts, read 148,638 times
I love it here. Whenever I think that I don't...I go back to NY and I am so refreshed when I come back here. I think your kids are at a good age to make friends. We moved here and my baby is two. It was hard for me to get to know people because I decided to stay at home. But the longer we are here the more people we get to know. A lot of our family has also followed us. The things I appreciate most:

There are four seasons- The way they are supposed to be! Spring, Summer, and Fall are long, and Winter is short and not very cold at all.

All the homes are well taken care of because the weather is more mild.

There are A LOT of outdoor activities, parks,& family programs

I think you will love it.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:28 PM

850 posts, read 3,625,481 times
We're "down here" for almost 3 years now from NJ and don't regret the move a single day. We still love it here as much as when we first moved in. I have 2 boys also 10 and 6! They've adapted so very nicely and they also love it here. We rented in Cary while we "neighborhood" shopped every weekend. We loved so many areas but settled down in Clayton. We're trying to convince my MIL to move down and think she'd do best in Cary (its more built up and convenient).

Its a huge decision, go with your gut. Definitely visit the area before making a definite decision. We had a grueling relocation that was tough on the whole family but we all think it was worth every second.

Good luck!
Lauren

Old 01-02-2009, 02:40 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,655,530 times
Nope, no regrets

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...t-leaving.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...g-nc-area.html

...and many more if you do a search

...you will have to weed through some of the other regrets though

Old 01-02-2009, 05:17 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zama View Post
We are considering moving to the RTP area of NC from the Northeast. We have 2 boys 10 & 6. Just wondering how others from the Northeast feel about their move? Thanks!
My guess is that since you asked the question negatively (in your post title), you might need to get your head in a postive frame before moving. Most of the people I have met who regretted any big decision were the ones who were tentative or unwilling. If I were you, I'd make sure that my enthusiasm matched my intent first. This way, you will come looking for positive rather than negative validation of your move.
Good Luck! I always look forward to more New Yorkers in the Triangle. I think I must have been a New Yorker in a former life.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:10 AM

133 posts, read 331,349 times
Not at all. Moved from Massachusetts 6 months ago and have really settled in...easy place to "feel like home". I do miss certain aspects of home...proximity to the ocean, professional sports teams, big Cities and I did miss the holidays back home (something different about Christmas in the NE) but overall, the positive far outweigh the negatives. Was out of town recently in Ohio. The morning that I left, it was 6 degrees....THAT is cold....and I forgot about what that feels like and will never complain when the temp here is 35!!!

Everything here feels "new" and while that can result in a lack of character, it does provide for a lot of convienience, better town planning, a younger demographic and the feeling that your are part of something that is growing...despite the bad economy.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:55 AM

746 posts, read 2,247,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zama View Post
there are a few things I miss - mostly friends and family, small independent bistros and restaurants, decent bagels, and holiday traditions like the Bristol Parade or the fireworks over the Charles.

What I don't miss - AT ALL - the bitter cold winters of New England, the nauseatingly hot summers in Manhattan (think columbus circle 90 degrees and 100% humidity), the traffic along the 95 corridor, the ridiculous tax structure of New York, being house poor, high cost of living.

We have carved out a really nice niche for ourselves and our kids here. We're very happy to go visit a few times a year to get our fixes.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:58 PM

271 posts, read 700,746 times
Been Here for three months already. No Way am I looking to go Back

Old 01-02-2009, 01:05 PM

546 posts, read 1,678,556 times
We moved just over a year ago from Massachusetts with young kids and so far there are absolutely no regrets. I have a 6 yr old as well, who acclimated very fast, both enjoys and excels at school, and has come into his own, so to speak, with friends. I have another not yet in school, so it is no different for him except for the fact we are able to enjoy the outdoors longer than back up north.

What did help me was to find local mother groups before I moved, who were both a wealth of information of the surrounding area, schools, places to check out with kids of all ages, as well as to make some aquaintences before I moved down. I only knew one person and that was through another board, and I left all my friends and family behind. However I felt comfortable enough to join playdates both to give my sons a chance at meeting new kids as well as giving myself to meet others and start to make this a home. It helped tremendously.

I think what I enjoy the most in this area is that there is a variety of parks, playgrounds, museums, and other play places to take the kids along with the ability to be outside for much more of the year. As a mom, Im always looking for new places to go with the kids and to explore. Where I lived before, the closest kid amusement was Chuk E Cheese 20 minutes away. I live in Apex now, and there is a ton of things to do, including getting into downtown Raleigh for the museums, which are 20 minutes or less.

Feel free to PM me if there is anythign I can help you with and I wish you the best of luck in your move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary