Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 02:26 PM

265 posts, read 1,292,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyrider View Post
I used to have a gorgeous, wimpy Rottweiler named Zoe, who unfortunately passed away. She was a loveable clown whose main purpose in life was to get as close to you as possible at all times, doing the Rottie "lean" and always wanting to sit on your lap - even at 125 pounds.
Sounds like your Zoe was not unlike Carl, of "Good Dog Carl" fame...I've known a few big lugs like that, the very epitome of sweet and loyal! Sorry for your loss, Bunnyrider.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:28 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PudelPie View Post
Sounds like your Zoe was not unlike Carl, of "Good Dog Carl" fame...I've known a few big lugs like that, the very epitome of sweet and loyal! Sorry for your loss, Bunnyrider.
OH....we loved the Carl books when my daughter was little. We had a friend with a Rottie (I know...bad mommy letting my child be around one !) so as a young toddler she called them the 'Chelsie books'.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:19 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,578 times
bunnyrider.. I love your post! Zoe sounds like she was a great dog! She sounds alot like my ABPTs, Brooklyn and Destiny (personality wise anyway..lol).. If I take them out to go potty while it is raining or after it has rained, they look at me like I am crazy! lol.. They will not walk on wet grass. They also lean on anyone the can. For Destiny its not a big deal, shes still a puppy and is only 20lbs., but Brooklyn is about a year old and he is about 70lbs! Their main goal is to sit on your lap, but if they cant do that they will just lean on you or sit where ever they can. They will sit on you foot, your arm, your hand.. anything to be as close to you as possible! lol.. They are just big teddy bears, and they think they are little lap dogs!

Old 05-09-2007, 04:02 PM

85 posts, read 323,011 times
Zoe was great with the wind ... in the car. If we were walking on a really windy day she'd try to hide behind me. I also think she saw ghosts ... we had a cemetary near us and she'd whine if we had to walk past it. Like she saw something ...

She was a great dog and really well trained; she didn't beg, didn't jump, didn't get on the furniture ... unless she gave you that look and you started to laugh. If you looked at her and laughed while you were sitting on the couch the next thing you knew you were on the floor and she was stretched out on the couch.

And 125 pounds sitting on your foot ... you knew she was there!

We now have house rabbits ... a lot smaller but believe it or not more work!

Old 05-09-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyrider View Post
Zoe was great with the wind ... in the car. If we were walking on a really windy day she'd try to hide behind me. I also think she saw ghosts ... we had a cemetary near us and she'd whine if we had to walk past it. Like she saw something ...

She was a great dog and really well trained; she didn't beg, didn't jump, didn't get on the furniture ... unless she gave you that look and you started to laugh. If you looked at her and laughed while you were sitting on the couch the next thing you knew you were on the floor and she was stretched out on the couch.

And 125 pounds sitting on your foot ... you knew she was there!

We now have house rabbits ... a lot smaller but believe it or not more work!
LOL...she sounds funny. Rabbits are hard work. We had a French Lop earred...he was a blast, but yes, lots of work.

Now wait, someone is going to start complaining about killer rabbits in the city limits!!

Old 05-09-2007, 04:40 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
LOL...she sounds funny. Rabbits are hard work. We had a French Lop earred...he was a blast, but yes, lots of work.

Now wait, someone is going to start complaining about killer rabbits in the city limits!!
lol! Or the horrible proliferation of eggs the Easter Bunny brings, and the resultant overpopulation of devout Christian rabbits frightening rabbits of other denominations.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-tee View Post
lol! Or the horrible proliferation of eggs the Easter Bunny brings, and the resultant overpopulation of devout Christian rabbits frightening rabbits of other denominations.
The Bunny is Pagan...lol....it's corrupting everyone else's eggs! (Okay, it's official, the thread is currently off topic!)

Ah.....let's see....you're from Cleveland...so...ever see any Pit bulls at the Rock Hall attacking seagulls?

Old 05-10-2007, 04:44 AM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Ah.....let's see....you're from Cleveland...so...ever see any Pit bulls at the Rock Hall attacking seagulls?
Can't say that I have, although I have seen numerous border collies trying to round up and scare away the geese. I offered to let our Rex "play" with the geese, but no-one ever took me up on the offer.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:19 AM

850 posts, read 3,626,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
I will make sure I am more specific from now on.. lol
Thanks for your clarification, PitBullMommie. I do realize I have to speak to the pit bull owners. sigh. I am uncomfortable doing so but if nothing else for my own sanity level, I am working on what to say to not offend. These are my neighbors and will be my neighbors most likely for the next 20 years, I'd like it to be a pleasant exchange.

And I'm a bit gunshy as well (OT rant here) as some nut in the neighborhood decided to take issue against me because I headed a group of moms to welcome new residents with baked goods, a local tip sheet (since so many are out of towners) and started an online community discussion list. Don't ask, some people will just never be happy.

Anyhow, yesterday morning while waiting for the school bus with my kids I could hear the pit bulls visciously growling at each other. You know the sound? That scary sound that makes you think some poor thing is getting hurt. Grrrr.

One thing that I take solice in is that these dogs (the 2 pits and 2 labs) haven't gotten out of their invisible fence.

I think I'll just tell the owners that their dogs scare me a bit and see how the conversation goes from there.

Lauren

Old 05-10-2007, 01:39 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren4521 View Post
Thanks for your clarification, PitBullMommie. I do realize I have to speak to the pit bull owners. sigh. I am uncomfortable doing so but if nothing else for my own sanity level, I am working on what to say to not offend. These are my neighbors and will be my neighbors most likely for the next 20 years, I'd like it to be a pleasant exchange.

And I'm a bit gunshy as well (OT rant here) as some nut in the neighborhood decided to take issue against me because I headed a group of moms to welcome new residents with baked goods, a local tip sheet (since so many are out of towners) and started an online community discussion list. Don't ask, some people will just never be happy.

Anyhow, yesterday morning while waiting for the school bus with my kids I could hear the pit bulls visciously growling at each other. You know the sound? That scary sound that makes you think some poor thing is getting hurt. Grrrr.

One thing that I take solice in is that these dogs (the 2 pits and 2 labs) haven't gotten out of their invisible fence.

I think I'll just tell the owners that their dogs scare me a bit and see how the conversation goes from there.

Lauren
You know what? I am a very outgoing person and I speak whats on my mind, but when it comes to talking to my neighbors about stuff that they are doing that bothers me, I cant do it! lol! I dont know why.. I am going to make up some flyer/ pamplet type things, with some basic info on "dangerous" breeds and BSL, and suggest some good web sites for people to go to if they want to know more. This way people can still form their own opinon on the breeds, but atleast they will be educated on them. Beacuse I am so shy with my neighbors I am just going to put them in mail boxs.... Mabey you could make up some flyer/ pamplet type things on being a responsible/ respectfull dog owner. If I were in your situation thats what I would do, and I would just put them in everyones mail box! This way no one gets offended and you can mabey get them to be a little more responsible and/ or respectful! I dont know if you think that would work or not, just a suggestion! lol.. But if you do decide you want to do that, let me know and I can give you some really good web sites to get info from.

I cant believe that people would get mad at you for welcoming people to the neighborhood! If someone would have done that for us when we moved in we would probably be more comfortable talking with our neighbors! lol.. But yeah, I guess your right, you cant make everyone happy all of the time!

I dont know how great that electric fense would work if those dogs really wanted to get out! I am not putting down "pit bulls" in any way, you know that I love bully breeds! lol.. BUT like I said in a earlier post, my cocker spaniel would run through our inviable fence all the time! I am thinking if a cocker spaniel can get through that kind of fence almost any dog could, if they wanted to enough!.. Oh and I know what kind of barking and growling you are talking about!.. Our oldest APBT, Brooklyn, will bark and growl at destiny if she gets his toys! We have heard him bark an growl when someone comes to the door, but we had never heard him sound like how he does when she gets his toys! WOW! Its so different! He gets serious! so.. we keep the toys out up unless they are each in their own crates.. lol.. But I know what you are talking about. I own "pit bulls" and it scares me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary