Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2007, 04:07 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostrom View Post
just say NO to pit bulls....they should be banned in any city limits as far as i am concerned.
I watch the Today Show every morning and a few weeks ago they were talking about cars and the blinde spots.. They said some crazy number of children are killed every week, Im almost 100% sure they said 16 kids are killed every week, because people back up over these children because they cant see them because of the blinde spots! 16 CHILDREN KILLED EVERY WEEK! If people are worried about their kids they need to worry about the real problems... Everyone is so worried about "pit bulls" when they are not the real problem. So many people die everyday from so many different things! "pit bulls" kill an average of 3 people a year, and thats what people are worried about?! It is crazy.. I read in a post a second ago where someone said that there is a much greater chance of one of us getting killed by someones child when they grow up than there is of that child getting attacked by a "pit bull".. and thats 100% true! We need to be enforcing the laws we already have! We need higher penalties for owners who violate the leash laws! We need to not let criminals own any breed of dog! We need to crack down on do fighting and animals abuse! There are so many things we could do to fix this problem! REALLY fix it, but no.. people want to take the easy way out and just ban the whole breed! Sorry to burst you bubble but that wont fix anything! It will just give everyone a false sense of security.. Its like putting a wet bandaid over the cut. The good owners will move so they can keep their pets, but do you really think the bad owners will care?! nope! They will just move on to the next breed and make them mean. Untill people open their eyes, and stop being so close minded and ignorant, nothing will change. Its really sad that people want to be like this, but in the long run they are just hurting themselves!

Old 05-08-2007, 07:51 PM

850 posts, read 3,626,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSNRI View Post
Lauren,

Are you the mom with 4 pit bulls in your neighborhood? I would be very scared if all they have holding them in is an invisible fence. They do withstand pain to the point that they have been beaten with batons to get them to let go of people they've attacked and they do not let go.
Yeah, that's me. Although its 4 dogs with 2 of them being pit bulls (there's another huge one across that street that always seems to get loose to attack the 2 behind the invisible curtain).

sigh. So what does one do?
Lauren

Old 05-08-2007, 08:24 PM

850 posts, read 3,626,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
If people are worried about their kids they need to worry about the real problems... Everyone is so worried about "pit bulls" when they are not the real problem. So many people die everyday from so many different things! "pit bulls" kill an average of 3 people a year, and thats what people are worried about?! It is crazy..
PitBullMommie...I've really learned alot from your posts here on this issue but I do have to say though that I think for some this IS a real issue and a real problem. Its not fair to think that people are sitting in their homes making up things to worry about because its not an issue for you. That's not the case, at least for me.

I didn't start this thread but added my experience and worries in my neighborhood where my children run/play. Pit bulls attacking each other, behind invisable fences. Sorry but I worry about it. And believe me, I'm not a worry wort....I have 2 rough/tumble boys who have little fear (or so it seems).

Is it the dog or the owner? You know what? Ultimately, it really doesn't matter to me, its the safety of my children that matters. Period.

I understand your frustration on the issue. It sounds like in most areas we agree (tougher leash laws, more security for licensing,etc) but IMHO its not those who AREN'T avid pit bull fans who will make a difference/change the laws, but those like you who ARE.

Lauren

Old 05-09-2007, 07:56 AM

Lauren4521...Thanks for your post. I am sorry if you thought that I ment that "pit bulls" are never the problem. That was dirrected to the people that keep saying things like "just say not to pit bulls" and "all pit bulls should be banned from every neighbornood".. I do understand that to alot of people that IS the real problem. I think that its horrible that any owner would ever put their neighbors through the stuff that you, and many others have to deal with on a daily basis. I feel that in situations like that, its not so much that the "pit bulls" should be banned (unless they really are a dangerous dog) but the owners shouldnt be allowd to have dogs atall! If they are going to be that rude and that careless with their dogs, they shouldnt be allowd in a neighborhood. My husband and I keep our dogs inside our home at all times. The only time they are outside is when we let them out to go to the bathroom or if we are walking them, and then they are NEVER out without a leash. We even try to walk them durring the day when most people are at work and most children are at school. I put them in their crates before I ever answer the door and when people come over.. If we do let them out of the crates when people are over, we always make sure it is really okay with our guests first and we would NEVER leave them alone together. Not because Brooklyn and Destiny are mean, they are wonderful well behaved dogs, but some people are uncomforable around them because of their breed and some people just dont like dogs period, so it is out of respect for all of the people that come to our home and live in our neighborhood. We may take it a little over board sometimes but I would rather be safe than sorry and it is VERY important to my husband and I that the people that live in our neighborhood feel comfortable being outside (especally with their children!) and KNOW that they will never have to worry out our dogs. That is just part of being a dog owner (or it should be! lol), it is YOUR job and your job only, as the owner, to make sure your dog is under control AT ALL TIMES and is not a threat to anyone in anyway! If you cant do that you dont deserve to have a dog, its that simple. I dont expect all dog owners to be quite as "safe" as we are with our dogs, because it is alot of work.. BUT they NEED to be responsible with their pets and they NEED to be respectful of others, whether their dog is what is considered a "dangerous" breed or not and whether there dog is a friendly dog or not.... I completely understand that to alot of people "pit bulls" are the problem and I should have worded my post differently. I was talking to the people that are just against "pit bulls" as a breed (or 3 breeds.. lol) and I should have said it like that. But I dont want you to think that I was saying that in your case the dogs are not the problems, because I can see from your posts that they are the problem and owners like that should not be allowd to have any breed of dog. But again thanks for your post and I will make sure I am more specific from now on.. lol

Old 05-09-2007, 08:10 AM

Lauren4521... Have you talked to the owners of all of those dogs about how you feel? If I were you I would first talk to the dog owners, and if that doesnt help I would then talk to the police or animals services. I know in alot of cases they wont do anything untill it is too late. They nomally wont do anything about the dogs untill they have hurt or kill someone! To me that is wrong. You have a right to feel safe and know that your children are safe at your own home. There has to be something that you can do before someone gets hurt. I would also check with your city and/ or county to see if any of them are breaking any laws. It sounds like atleast with the dog that gets loose and goes to attack the other dogs, they should do something. That has to be breaking some kind of law. I would also call the police and/ or animals services and complain EVERY SINGLE times that you or your family feels threatend, and everytime that dog gets loose. This way atleast there is something on record about the whole situation and mabey after enough of that they will do something about it!... But I dont know.. just some suggestions, if havent already done all of that.. lol! Good luck!

Old 05-09-2007, 08:14 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
I have two beagles. I never let them outside unless they are in my fenced yard or on a leash. My next-door neighbors are afraid of all dogs, even my friendly little beagles, so I do try to keep that in mind. There have been times when our dogs have gotten out by accident (like by digging under the fence), but I try to keep them in for their own safety and also because I know that my neighbors are afraid of them. It just seems like the right thing, regardless of what kind of dog you have. If the owner of a pit bull is not doing that and you are afraid of their dog, then I do think it's the owner that should be blamed, not the dog. But if they ban the pit bull just because some people are afraid of it even knowing that statistically it won't really solve your problem, then what's to stop them from banning all dogs just because some people are afraid of them, like my neighbors are?

Old 05-09-2007, 08:23 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
I would also call the police and/ or animals services and complain EVERY SINGLE times that you or your family feels threatend, and everytime that dog gets loose. This way atleast there is something on record about the whole situation and mabey after enough of that they will do something about it!
Yes, I agree with this. There was a dog that used to be out all the time in my neighborhood. I thought it was lost the first time and I brought it home and took care of it and figured out where it belonged. After I returned it home, I saw it out again and again because the people didn't care and just let him roam loose. (This was a husky) I knew where they lived, and so every time I saw the dog out, I called animal control and reported that the dog that lives at X address was loose again. Eventually, they got tired of animal control coming over I guess, because now he has an electric fence and stays in his yard. But what I'm saying is, nothing will happen if you don't do anything about it. You can call animal control to report infractions and hopefully that will help.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:51 AM

ADVentive... Its GREAT to hear that you agree with me about being a responsible, respetful owner. It sounds like you are a wonderful owner and your dogs are lucky to have you! It also sounds like you neighbors are lucky to have you as a neighbor instead of another dog owner (considerig how ALOT of dog owners may be responsible but arent respectful.. lol.. and alot are not either..) But anyway, thanks for your posts!

~Kim, Brooklyn and Destiny!~

Old 05-09-2007, 11:10 AM

85 posts, read 323,011 times
For all you responsible pit bull mommies and daddies out there, I feel your pain. I used to have a gorgeous, wimpy Rottweiler named Zoe, who unfortunately passed away. She was a loveable clown whose main purpose in life was to get as close to you as possible at all times, doing the Rottie "lean" and always wanting to sit on your lap - even at 125 pounds.

When we would walk down the street - always leashed - some people would cross the street, some would even yell obscenities at me. We weren't doing anything but going for a walk. Me and my dog who was afraid of the wind and didn't like to get her paws wet. Once she was even attacked by two Min Pins and didn't even defend herself.

But the blanket opinions that people have that all dogs of certain breed are bad are truly bothersome. Dangerous dogs should be managed, but not all dogs of a certain breed are dangerous.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:27 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyrider View Post
But the blanket opinions that people have that all dogs of certain breed are bad are truly bothersome. Dangerous dogs should be managed, but not all dogs of a certain breed are dangerous.
My sympathies for your loss. It is always hard to loose a beloved pet.

In regards to your post....I couldn't agree more. Shame is, some folks are never going to even want to understand it. I should feel sorry for them, but they frustrate me too much.

Your Zoe was afraid of the wind? Did she stick her head out the car window?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary