Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 04:09 PM

767 posts, read 1,848,841 times

Advertisements

My DH & I had heard about a place in Carrboro...which is quite a drive for us, but we had to try it. The place is called Fiesta Grill...its on 54 west of Carrboro (I think). Its pretty far out. But we made a day of it...did some shopping and then headed there for lunch. Hallelujah!!! Its the real thing folks!! We talked to someone who I think is the owner...he is from So Cal, and said he had the same problem when he moved here...no good Mex food! The beans, the rice were so good...they even had my much sought after Chili Verde!!! The chips are thick, homeade and crispy crunchy...some of the best I've ever had. Yummy salsa too. My husband said his taco, which had shredded beef (not ground) and a fresh crunchy shell was excellent. If you like CA Mex...this is it. It is NOT Tex Mex. I saw a plate of fajitas come out that smelled outstanding. I am so full I can hardly move, but don't care!!! I've been waiting for this meal for almost 4 yrs!!! By the way...the place is extremely small...only seats about 14 people total. We did a late lunch and had to wait about 15 minutes. But I'm not complaining
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 04:41 PM

542 posts, read 1,525,157 times
They are around, just a little tougher to find. I can think of a few off the top of my head here in Raleigh.

Mike

Old 01-31-2009, 05:02 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,682,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNC29 View Post
They are around, just a little tougher to find. I can think of a few off the top of my head here in Raleigh.
Care to share them? (or were you just bragging? )

Old 01-31-2009, 05:27 PM

We have tried many....including Torreros...and none compared to this place. Nothing I have tried in Raleigh or Cary are even close.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:33 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,268,634 times
Fiesta Grill is a gem alright (only about a 7 minute drive for me!!).

Torreros in Carrboro is also quite good, although I've heard their other locations are mediocre. Carrboro has a large Mexican population, so they might keep the standards higher. My wife and I have been in there when it's crowded, and we were the only non-Spanish speakers.

If you want fast burritos, Cosmic Cantina in Chapel Hill is very good.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:49 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,760,267 times
Thanks for the recommendation! I'm looking forward to trying Fiesta Grill. I see they have Ceviche... yum.

Does anyone know if Fiesta Grill or Cosmic Cantina have fish tacos.... maybe as a special???

Old 01-31-2009, 05:52 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,608,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
The beans, the rice were so good...they even had my much sought after Chili Verde!!! The chips are thick, homeade and crispy crunchy...some of the best I've ever had. Yummy salsa too. My husband said his taco, which had shredded beef (not ground) and a fresh crunchy shell was excellent. If you like CA Mex...this is it. It is NOT Tex Mex. I saw a plate of fajitas come out that smelled outstanding.
From Wikipedia:

Tex-Mex cuisine is characterized by its heavy use of melted cheese, meat (particularly beef), beans, and spices, in addition to Mexican-style tortillas. Texas-style chili con carne, chili con queso, chili gravy, and fajitas are all Tex-Mex inventions. A common feature of Tex-Mex is the combination plate, with several of the above on one large platter. Serving tortilla chips and a hot sauce or salsa as an appetizer is common in Tex-Mex restaurants. Moreover, Tex-Mex has imported flavors from other spicy cuisines, such as the use of cumin (common in Indian food but used in only a few Central Mexican recipes).

So what is it about this place that made it "NOT Tex Mex".

Old 01-31-2009, 06:01 PM

Did you look up Mexican food? Its the same main dishes but with a different taste. I would agree that fajitas are tex mex. A famous Tex mex place was Chevys...thinner chips, different salsa with a more "blackened" taste, black beans, and yes, fajitas. Different cheeses too. I sure didn't see any chili, like as in chili beans on this menu. Chili Verde is a completely different type of dish...green thin sauce with pork.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:04 PM

Kinda like eastern bbq!

Old 01-31-2009, 06:05 PM

542 posts, read 1,525,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
We have tried many....including Torreros...and none compared to this place. Nothing I have tried in Raleigh or Cary are even close.
The places that I am talking about may or may not have a name, I never noticed. What I did notice, especially about the one on S. Saunders, was that every time I have been I was the only non-Hispanic in the restaurant, which is always a good sign. Cort tortillas, sliced steak, white chopped onions, cilantro, and a radish, that's what it is all about. There is also a good taco truck in front of the flea market (the one next to Bobby Murray) on Capital Blvd.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary