Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 14,691 times

Advertisements

Me and my husband both work for Fidelity and they have given us the option if we were intrested to move to NC.We visited the place and have 60-40 about moving there. Couple of questions if anybody can help:

- We are planning to live in Cary/Morrisville, no offence to southerns but I would like my kids to keep the accent they currently speak with and am really concerned if kids pick up a southern accent in this area from schools. I believe its very urban location with people from all over the country but does it have lot of southern influence ?

- Is there lot of smoking in the town which is not 'very encouraging' for kids to notice.

- What's the max. commute in rush hours from Cary to RTP ?

- Does anybody know if Wake county property taxes are going up next year ?

- People say its cheaper living in NC - the houses prices are high in CAry, gas & groceries are same priced as MA, where do we save the money ?

Really appreciate if anybody has their experiences/thoughts on this.
I have no intention to hurt anybody's feelings with any of the above questions just trying to find understanding/answers to questions arising in our minds before we decide to make the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 10:38 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,757 times
Let's see...where to start.

For one...the entire Triangle metro area is a mix of southerners and non-southern transplants. Your kids will be exposed to southern accents and culture, whether you want them to or not. Don't fight it...it's not a bad thing!

Next, I will say NC is behind the rest of the country as far as kicking the smoking habit. You'll still find a few restaurants that are smoky, but suffice to say here in the Triangle, many many of them have banned it now. It's only a matter of time.

Cary/Morrisville, I would not call urban. Suburban is more accurate. Only Raleigh, Durham and maybe parts of Chapel Hill are really urban.

Cary does have some high house prices...that's been discussed here a good deal. Raleigh's a little bit cheaper, Durham is even better. Explore the whole region...there's more out there to choose from.

Commutes to RTP vary...Cary's is shorter than from Raleigh, but more than from Durham. It also depends on what side of RTP the office is on.

Schools in NC are run on a county-wide basis. No matter where in Wake County (for example) you live in, there will be students brought in from all parts of it. Southerners, transplants, city kids, rural kids...a big mix.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:11 AM

693 posts, read 2,761,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
Only Raleigh, Durham and maybe parts of Chapel Hill are really urban.
Not sure if I'd consider Raleigh "really urban". Lacks a good deal of public transportation (subway for example) and more residential buildings for me to consider it "really urban".

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
Commutes to RTP vary...Cary's is shorter than from Raleigh, but more than from Durham.
It depends which part of Cary. Northwest of Cary is much closer to RTP than some parts of Durham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston2006
People say its cheaper living in NC
Housing is cheaper in NC. You can get a lot more house for your money here than in Boston. But most other expenses are about the same.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:28 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,519,220 times
I visited the area a few mos ago and met a few native Raleighites, both in their thirties. Neither of them had a southern accent to speak of and one actually sounded mid-western.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:41 AM

52 posts, read 229,947 times
Default fidelity

I live in Boston now, work in asset management, and would LOVE to return to the Triangle, where I lived a few years back. Can you fill me in on what types of jobs Fidelity is planning to relocate to the Triangle??? And what is their timeframe?

You won't regret a move down there. It is a fabulous area to live in.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:45 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,568 times
oh dear. I have met tons of highly educated southerners, complete with accents. Good for them.
I have met some who have felt it necessary to tone their accents down. Lots of NYers & New Englanders do the same thing, of course.
You have to accept that if you move to a new area your kids will absorb a lot of the culture, & may even (gasp!) marry a native.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:50 PM

237 posts, read 1,029,626 times
We're Fidelity transplants. We chose to live in Holly Springs. There are a couple of Fidelity"ites" in our subdivision. The commute isn't bad at all. You have to understand the traffic here is NOT what you know as traffic in MA.

So far my kids don't say Y'all

Most family friendly restaurants are smoke free. That is a pet peeve of mine too
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston2006 View Post
Me and my husband both work for Fidelity and they have given us the option if we were intrested to move to NC.We visited the place and have 60-40 about moving there. Couple of questions if anybody can help:

- We are planning to live in Cary/Morrisville, no offence to southerns but I would like my kids to keep the accent they currently speak with and am really concerned if kids pick up a southern accent in this area from schools. I believe its very urban location with people from all over the country but does it have lot of southern influence ?

- Is there lot of smoking in the town which is not 'very encouraging' for kids to notice.

- What's the max. commute in rush hours from Cary to RTP ?

- Does anybody know if Wake county property taxes are going up next year ?

- People say its cheaper living in NC - the houses prices are high in CAry, gas & groceries are same priced as MA, where do we save the money ?

Really appreciate if anybody has their experiences/thoughts on this.
I have no intention to hurt anybody's feelings with any of the above questions just trying to find understanding/answers to questions arising in our minds before we decide to make the move.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:31 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
I have an Indian Friend here in Portland who has a brother that married another Indian Woman who grew up in Chapel Hill. Her father worked for the University. I met her on a visit here and she did not have a Southern Accent. She did still have a small Indian accent. I think she moved to NC in middle school.

HOWEVER, I do agree with other posters that it is likely that any child who moves to the Triange has a chance of picking up a Southern accent. My husband & I lost our accents when we moved to the West Coast. It was not intentional... it just happened. Our kids do not have any accents currently. But I fully expected them to pick one up.

I'm just curious about your concern about the Southern accent for your kids? Is more of a concern for when your children return to India? I only ask because I have a Korean Friend who teaches English in South Korea and She mentioned in South Korea they want "accent free" (including Northern, Austrialian, etc) teachers. They heavily recruit teachers from the west coast and Arizona ... areas they preceive as accent free. Just curious... not condeming. Wondering how the Southern Accent is preceived in the world.

Good luck to you in your decision!

Old 03-15-2007, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 8,602 times
I was just wondering what sorts of jobs Fidelity has in the Raleigh office, and what the growth prospects look like? I currently live in TX and am considering relocating to the Raleigh area (that's a whole story in and of itself). I currently work for a large financial services firm as an investment advisor, although I have experience with DB plan servicing/administration with a prior employer. What about other investment firms in the area? Thanks!

Old 03-15-2007, 09:08 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,445 times
Default whats with the accent?

Why is it an issue for the children to inherit an accent of where they live?
how to you plan to prevent it?

Do your children speak English? If so, an accent shoulndt make a difference to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary