Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:19 PM

85 posts, read 379,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lusterstudios View Post
I'm a bit new here and must say that I love COOKOUT!

Best... Burger... Ever...
Agreed... Western Style, Hushpuppies & a Mr. Pibb!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 09:39 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Solas. Way overpriced and IMO not worth it. Had one meal and several appetizers there, all overpriced and ranging from pretty good to bad.

Rudinos. Good pizza, but not amazing. Hardly any sauce to it.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,934 times
Default Durham

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Here are some of my favorite eateries. I will break them down by category:

Local Places I really like

Elmos Diner on 9th street in Durham ~ Great american fare in a nice friendly environment.

Foster's Market in Durham ~ Great sandwhiches and you can buy a bottle of wine at regular price to enjoy.

The Pit ~ BBQ in Downtown Raleigh
Blue Corn ~ Mexican on 9th street in Durham
Magnolia Grill in Durham
Watt's Grocery in Durham
Finally, some Durham places show up! There are a lot of you Wake County folks in this forumn!

As far as the stuff quoted above:

I think Elmo's and Foster's are a bit overrated, but good none the less. We just ate at The Pit for the first time a few weeks ago and it was great!

Blue Corn is cheap for what it is, and the food is good, but I prefer my latin food a little less bland.

Magnolia is supposed to be fantastic, but I haven't eaten there. It's expensive enough that we'll probably try it for desert first.

Watts Grocery is a bit pricey but well worth it. It's fantastic!

For those that like Indian Food, check out Green Leaf on University in Durham for an excellent buffet and stunning service. I first read about it on the local epicurean blog Carpe Durham (Carpe Durham), which you should really read if you don't.

And my favorite Durham institution? Gugelhopf Bakery! Everything on both the bakery and restaurant side is FABULOUS, and I was told by an employee last weekend that they're set to start serving dinner soon.

Hope that's helpful!

Old 05-09-2009, 02:39 PM

260 posts, read 545,291 times
Had lunch today at La Foresta in Wake Forest. Decent prices for LOTS of food. Tomato sauce was very good... not too chunky and just a little kick to it. We didn't get pizza, but they looked fantastic - nice New York style pizza. Very good service, too.... which is just as important as the food, IMO.

Highly recommend.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:38 PM

Anyone been to the Indian place off of Chapel Hill Blvd (just down from 540, I think near Aviation)?

Old 05-18-2009, 07:37 PM

Guess not.

Had Rudino's pizza again. Maintain that it's pretty good/not great.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:28 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,047,733 times
Default reply

eat 2 win is not a very good site. I have read enough of it to know I will not be reading it again. I notice that you have plugged this site three times in the last two hours or so. Any connection to them? Please don't plug them again. Enough.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:06 PM

Anyone have a clue what he's talking about?

Old 07-01-2009, 07:14 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,047,733 times
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
eat 2 win is not a very good site. I have read enough of it to know I will not be reading it again. I notice that you have plugged this site three times in the last two hours or so. Any connection to them? Please don't plug them again. Enough.
Sorry. I replied to the wrong post.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:47 PM

lol - np

Bump for a few downtown places:

Tobacco Rd - had a good BBQ sandwich there - not amazing, a little bland, but pretty good. Love their sweet potato fries!

Flying Saucer - have only had the appetizers so far but have had most of them - they are just kinda OK FWIW. (and this is while drinking lol)

And though I never ate there, I never WILL eat at Hi5. That place just smells plain gross, like a sewer backed up or something. It didn't look dirty or bad, but..........phew.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary