Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 08:22 AM

600 posts, read 3,449,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Trent Hicks View Post
.....Don't forget to insist that your tile setter include sealing the tile and grout with premium "Bulletproof" brand sealer. You will be glad that you did!
A couple of thoughts about this sealer business:
The one that is recommended by Hicks is a very good sealer. But glazed tile cannot be sealed, and unglazed porcelain tile can't either. So, yes, seal the grout joints, but do it yourself. Having the tile contractor do it usually means downtime or a return trip to do it, and you'll be charged for either one. Also, it's a no-brainer application, not a trade skill. Also, the tile installers HATE sealing grout joints.

OR

Have the installation installed with one of the new epoxy grouts like Spectralock (Laticrete) . It's worlds better than any sealer. It costs more, but you are actually getting a true value for that money.

Send me a DM with your general location, and I can recommend a few good installers in the RAl/Dur/ C.Hill area that are real professionals.

Regards,
Streamer1212
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 09:05 AM

757 posts, read 2,084,110 times
I think we are just going to do the floor instead of the shower. My husband is actually in charge of cleaning the bathrooms and he would rather keep the fiberglass shower and get a really nice glass shower enclosure for it instead. He just thinks the fiberglass will be easy to clean since he has to clean it This works out great because now we can get a nicer tile for the bathroom floor and just focus on the floor for now. I agree, I don't want to take the chance on leaky grout down the line. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:39 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,017,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
I think we are just going to do the floor instead of the shower. My husband is actually in charge of cleaning the bathrooms and he would rather keep the fiberglass shower and get a really nice glass shower enclosure for it instead. He just thinks the fiberglass will be easy to clean since he has to clean it This works out great because now we can get a nicer tile for the bathroom floor and just focus on the floor for now. I agree, I don't want to take the chance on leaky grout down the line. Thanks for all of the suggestions.
If my husband cleaned the bathrooms I would let him choose any
type shower wall he could think of. Now the bigger question ...
how did you get your husband to help clean???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary