Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 06:48 PM

285 posts, read 836,837 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys

as some of you know, the other half and I relocated from the UK to Raleigh just over a year ago. We're getting married next year, and starting to look into honeymoon destinations...

Most of the "typical" places from London are not too realistic now that we're here, as the travel time is too long (for example, Mauritius is somewhere we were looking at, but its 28 hours of travel!)

We do not want to go to South America (i.e. Mexico), or the Caribbean. Does anyone have any suggestions of beach/relaxing style holidays that we can get to from the East Coast - that isnt such a long way away!?

We know that the travel time is likely to be well over 12 hours or so, which we can accept - but have no idea whats out there with the stipulations above!

Hoping some other locals have gone through this before - all advice welcome!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 06:57 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,108,609 times
Bermuda, it's just off the coast of South Carolina. It's beautiful and the people are so friendly. Oh, and it's a British territory.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:12 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,082,825 times
It's not somewhere exotic, but my husband and I drove the coast of California for our honeymoon.

It was an amazing trip filled with the most fantastic scenery of the Pacific coast.

We flew into San Francisco, stayed there a weekend and then drove down the coast on Highway 1, stopping at a few bed and breakfasts along the way and making some small daytrips. Our final destination was San Diego which we really enjoyed as well. We stayed at the Coronado Hotel in the older section and wound up staying in an amazing suite. The hotel is right on the beach and though it was November and not swimming weather, the beach was beautiful for walks.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:16 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,050,962 times
Default reply

Check out The Cloister at Sea Island Georgia. We stayed there for our honeymoon and loved it. The King and Prince at St. Simons Island Ga is also very nice.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:51 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,038,646 times
Captiva Island (or sanibel) in florida are nice. Beautiful weather, beaches!!!! Great for biking, etc.

Leigh

Old 03-31-2009, 08:08 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,024,675 times
Hawaii.

It's cliche, but it's cliche for a reason...it's that great of a place.

If you are okay with 12 hours travel time, I'd do it for sure. You can probably do it with a single stop...I think Continental has a nonstop from Houston, American from Dallas, and United from Chicago or Denver. I could be wrong, though.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:44 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,549,968 times
florida keys? fly into miami and drive south or fly there via connection. You don't mention what time of year you are getting married which might make a difference beach wise -- you might consider outer banks NC, st simons island, amelia island, hilton head, jekyll island - all on the coast from NC to tip of Fl. There is also destin florida with pretty beaches, then also over in Texas - galveston, corpus christi and south padre. Good luck planning!

Old 03-31-2009, 09:03 PM

29 posts, read 68,556 times
azores? ;-)

Old 04-01-2009, 04:29 AM

113 posts, read 186,546 times
You said East Coast and beach, but let me throw out another idea. The Mr. and I had a great honeymoon in Napa and Sonoma. Great weather, great wineries to visit, hot air balloon ride, hiking, riding horses in a state park.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:49 AM

176 posts, read 645,872 times
Although you said you don't want the Caribbean, I'd highly recommend Belize. It has a bit of everything-- historical/cultural sites, jungle (complete with jaguars, monkeys, etc.), incredibly beautiful beaches for lounging, snorkeling and scuba diving, kayaking, etc. My hubby and I flew straight down to Placencia and had a wonderful time. (BTW: If it matters, it's English speaking.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary