Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 09:46 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,216,418 times

Advertisements

The situation: I'm moving into a house. I get there w/my moving van and some dipsh** has parked in my driveway. No clue who it is so I call the cops, saying I want it towed.

They go "we can't get involved since it's private property." what in the ****? So if I get robbed should I not bother calling because "it's private property?" They said "call a tow service." Gee thx, what a help you are.

So I called towing services and had to call 4 or 5 before I found anyone who would even touch the situation (PS they all said "call the cops" and when I explained I did and what the cops said, they were also blown away; one guy literally laughed out loud, couldn't believe it either)....amazingly the last one I called (Ace towing btw - highly recommended, they were just great about this in every way - fast, responsive, professional etc) also said I would not have to pay and the owner would (as I expected initially), but the 3-ring circus this turned out to be was unbelievable.

Is there some idiotic goofball NC law that prevents cops from being involved in this?

Anyway it turns out my classy neighbors didn't think anyone was living there yet, which apparently means it's OK for them to use it as their private parking space. They only came out when they saw the tow truck pulling up. aholes.

Oh I forgot the best part: quite some time later as I'm out running around doing other things related to moving, the cops call me back and go "a cop is at your place now, what's up?"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 09:54 PM

646 posts, read 2,051,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
The situation: I'm moving into a house. I get there w/my moving van and some dipsh** has parked in my driveway. No clue who it is so I call the cops, saying I want it towed.

They go "we can't get involved since it's private property." what in the ****? So if I get robbed should I not bother calling because "it's private property?" They said "call a tow service." Gee thx, what a help you are.

So I called towing services and had to call 4 or 5 before I found anyone who would even touch the situation (PS they all said "call the cops" and when I explained I did and what the cops said, they were also blown away; one guy literally laughed out loud, couldn't believe it either)....amazingly the last one I called (Ace towing btw - highly recommended, they were just great about this in every way - fast, responsive, professional etc) also said I would not have to pay and the owner would (as I expected initially), but the 3-ring circus this turned out to be was unbelievable.

Is there some idiotic goofball NC law that prevents cops from being involved in this?

Anyway it turns out my classy neighbors didn't think anyone was living there yet, which apparently means it's OK for them to use it as their private parking space. They only came out when they saw the tow truck pulling up. aholes.

Oh I forgot the best part: quite some time later as I'm out running around doing other things related to moving, the cops call me back and go "a cop is at your place now, what's up?"

Never heard of such a thing. I think you found a dispatcher that was clueless. (To be honest, they don't pay them all that much, but the few times I've called our Wake Forest non-emergency number they've been nothing but great).

What city are you in?

Old 04-04-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoya View Post
Never heard of such a thing. I think you found a dispatcher that was clueless. (To be honest, they don't pay them all that much, but the few times I've called our Wake Forest non-emergency number they've been nothing but great).

What city are you in?
Raleigh.

I called twice and talked to 3 people, including 911 (who I quickly explained it wasn't an emergency and apologized fo calling, but was getting nowhere w/the local #). Looks like a LOT of cluelessness going on.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:53 AM

147 posts, read 395,393 times
icant imagion what your neighbor thinks of you

Old 04-05-2009, 02:30 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,035,723 times
Quote:
Looks like a LOT of cluelessness going on.
Including yours

I'm not sure with what kind of hindsight you might view this experience, and am willing to cut you some slack. Moving is a horrible thing to have to go through, IMO, and can make one frazzled and easily thrown into a tizzy. We've been there, too. Fourteen hours in a truck in August. We had a dog, five cats and a cockatiel who squawked so much I was ready to open the window and toss the feathery s**t-bomb out, somewhere around the Smokies. I'm surprised that the sounds of a moving truck didn't bring out the neighbors so they'd notice that the car needed to be moved. However, the first thing you should have done was check with the neighbors.

You've made a bad entrance to your new neighborhood; I hope you do something about the misunderstanding before word gets around.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:52 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,179,827 times
so in all the time it took you to call the cops that many times (including 911) AND all the tow companies, it never dawned on you to just walk next door, introduce yourself to your neighbors, and resolve the situation in a more friendly manner?

don't get me wrong, i've moved many times and know how frustrating the entire experience can be, but you're really off on the wrong foot with the neighbors. i hope you've already taken steps to try to smooth it over.

Mike

Old 04-05-2009, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinc View Post
icant imagion what your neighbor thinks of you
yeah, like "I can't believe this guy wouldn't let us park in his driveway." The nerve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Including yours

You've made a bad entrance to your new neighborhood; I hope you do something about the misunderstanding before word gets around.
What crack are you on? I'VE made a bad entrace to my neighborhood? How, by expecting someone not to park in my driveway? By doing the only option left open to me? You're right, how dare I. I should've just hung out and thanked them later.

Hello pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
so in all the time it took you to call the cops that many times (including 911) AND all the tow companies, it never dawned on you to just walk next door, introduce yourself to your neighbors, and resolve the situation in a more friendly manner?
Apparently it (or much of anything else) never dawned on you or the other rocket scientists here that I DID do that. Nobody was home at either house next door. Was I supposed to do, knock on every door in town till I found the owner? I had a van full of a LOT of stuff and very limited time to move it all. Or do you think I shoulda just kinda hung out, hoping the owner of this van would show up...whenever?

Old 04-05-2009, 06:14 AM

546 posts, read 2,418,249 times
Your neighborhood is going to LOVE you!

Old 04-05-2009, 06:22 AM

With one exception, I'm sure they will. In fact I've already met some of my other neighbors and we had very nice talks.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:23 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,179,827 times
Quote:
Apparently it (or much of anything else) never dawned on you or the other rocket scientists here that I DID do that. Nobody was home at either house next door. Was I supposed to do, knock on every door in town till I found the owner? I had a van full of a LOT of stuff and very limited time to move it all. Or do you think I shoulda just kinda hung out, hoping the owner of this van would show up...whenever?

your post says nothing of you trying to contact your neighbors at all. in fact, the way it's written makes it seem like your neighbor was home the entire time and 'They only came out when they saw the tow truck pulling up'.

so forgive me for misunderstanding.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary