Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 06:54 AM

18,056 posts, read 15,645,534 times

Advertisements

My house is 20 yrs old and it has the original (dual zone) HVAC system. It's time to look at replacing the whole shebang.

Who here has done such a project in the last 3 yrs or has detailed knowledge of such an endeavor and can share info about their upgrade?

If you could share which hvac system you replaced it with and DM me on which vendor you used (unless you want to share that publicly, which would be welcome too).

I need to budget for this project (and yes of course, 'do my research'). Obviously the energy ratings factor into this decision. But I'd like to hear from the folks on this forum since I'm sure there's at least a couple folks who have upgraded their system in the last year or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 06:58 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Look into the newer systems like geothermal pumps as well. There are some significant tax credits these days.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:32 AM

86 posts, read 277,627 times
Default A recommendation

Hello~~

Last year my husband and I bought a 1950s house in Chapel Hill. We had hoped that the old gas furnace would have a few more years left in it, but sadly it didn't. Our realtor, who has been so very helpful well after closing, recommended several companies to us. We went with his first recommendation, Shumate Air Conditioning and Heating In Raleigh, NC.

After much research, discussion, and debate ($$), and after looking at all the angles, we embarked on a very large project, replacing the dead furnace and old air conditioner with a heat pump, with many additional features and technologies to make DH very happy.

We were very pleased with this company and its personnel. Even the inevitable bumps in the road and misunderstandings (first-time home ownership et al) were minor and quickly explained, fixed, or ironed out. In the end, we are very pleased with the new system, and with Shumate, and we chose to continue with them with an annual care/maintenance contract.

As part of this whole adventure, we did look into geothermal, and had gotten very excited about it, until we learned that it is not allowed where we live.

I do not post very often on any message board; I hope that my telling of this good experience with this firm does not violate any of the forum's rules; I did read through them before posting. Apologies to the mods if I misunderstood.

To the OP--good luck with your project.

Lana

Old 04-09-2009, 07:45 AM

792 posts, read 4,487,051 times
I will offer 1 piece of advice. Goodman (manufacturer of HVAC systems) consistently has the lowest-priced units. Like a lot of things, you get what you pay for. Make sure you do your research on Goodman if you decide to go with the lowest-priced unit.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:06 AM

656 posts, read 1,990,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
I will offer 1 piece of advice. Goodman (manufacturer of HVAC systems) consistently has the lowest-priced units. Like a lot of things, you get what you pay for. Make sure you do your research on Goodman if you decide to go with the lowest-priced unit.

In my experience with having had to replace a few HVAC's over the years in my homes I have found one thing to be true: Unless the installation has been done correctly the unit is as good as the installation. Installation is everything!! I've always bought systems right in the middle (no high end or low end) and have been happy every time. Make sure it is sized right, duct work is done correctly, etc. I think sometimes it is easy to get caught up in the name brand and other important items are missed that are just as important IMO.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:12 AM

584 posts, read 2,422,911 times
I used to work for an HVAC sub. Get 3 quotes, bur don't just jump at the lowest price. The efficiency of an HVAC unit is rated in SEER and the minimum for new equipment is 13 SEER. They make units with SEER's up in the 20's but it will cost you. You could ask the HVAC contractor to give you the price for a 13, 15, and 19 and ask how long it will take to payback the upfront cost with energy savings.

You got gas heat or using a heat pump? If gas, you schould consider a high efficiency gas system also known as a 95% furnace.

Are you replacing the duct system? If not, ask them to duct seal the metal ductwork to keep it from leaking. Also, make sure the metal duct is insulated. There may not be much metal duct - it's probably mostly flex duct - but what metal you do have should be insulated. It may already be insulated inside the duct.

Don't pay for everything up front. In fact, when the work is done you need to go behind them and look for things like gaps in the ductwork where it connects to the new unit or other shoddy work.

Get the warranty for the unit in writing and be sure the contractor is providing a 1 year parts and labor warranty - again in writing.

When you decide who you want to use, tell them if they throw in a 7 day programmable thermostat you'll give the work to them.....good little trick to use. Most of them, I bet, will try to re-use the existing thermostat or give you a non-programmable thermostat.

PM me with other questions.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:25 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,154,094 times
The best ways to go....

1) Geo Thermal
2) Split zoning(upstairs and downstairs).
3) buy the highest SEER(Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating) you can afford.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:59 AM

Thanks everyone. I'm in a good position (as good as one can be with a 20 yr old hvac system) because it's working and I don't *have to* replace it right now. So I can look at my options and do a little planning without having to jump on any decision immediately.

I put central AC in my CA home 8 yrs ago and I went with a Trane unit, which was a great system and worked beautifully.

I already have split zoning now (and 2 ac compressors).

When I eventually do the project I will use the best system I can afford and the most efficient (highest SEER) system I can afford. I'll be doing lots of research, that's for sure!

Old 04-09-2009, 10:15 AM

Lana, thank you very much for sharing your story. That is EXACTLY the kind of info that is useful on this forum.

Grawburg, my existing furnace has a heat pump. I don't know if I need to replace the ducts or not. Side question: can just the AC units be replaced as an option?

I maintain a homeowner warranty (which includes the HVAC system). I originally thought I would just wait for the current system to break and let the warranty company (AHS) deal with the repair/replacement, but I am rethinking that strategy in light of several things, including the 30% energy tax credit that exists through 2010 . During my inspection the inspector said aside from the fact that the hvac system is old everything he looked at seemed fine. Coincidentally the sellers at the time had Briggs over at the time as my inspector, doing seasonal maintenance on the hvac system. That was in May '06 my house inspection occurred.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:47 AM

240 posts, read 1,179,610 times
There are many choices when purchasing HVAC equipment. Some are lower end, "builder grade" products, others are targeted to mainstream homeowners, and others aim for the premium market. Most have great advertising budgets and catchy commercials. (Have you heard the commercials where you can order the outside unit cabinet in "designer colors"?)

However, in my personal home and in all my rental properties we have Westinghouse equipment. They offer an industry leading 10 year warranty on ALL parts; and if there is a compressor failure (the most expensive component) problem within the first eight years, they provide an completely new outside unit with a new warranty. These folks are serious about their product and service.

Westinghouse does not spend their money on advertising; they spend it building a better quality product. They offer competitive pricing to HVAC contractors which allows us to pass the savings along to customers.

As previously stated, an experienced installer who matches the building envelope demand to the proper sized equipment is just as critical and purchasing quality equipment. You will be amazed at the efficiency of today's higher SEER equipment compared with your previous unit and enjoy a considerable savings in operating cost while maintaining a comfortable home environment.

Last edited by J. Trent Hicks; 04-09-2009 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary