Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:40 PM

6 posts, read 11,168 times

Advertisements

Hello beautiful people,
any help will be really appreciated!

We are Londoners and will be coming on holiday next month to check your amazing cities out!

Thanks to this wonderful forum I've been able to jot down plenty of places where to go to sleep & eat and strolling around the shopping areas.

I also know all the buses available to travel within the Triangle and from/to the Airport.

Pity is that I haven't found out anything yet about daily trips using public transport apart from Greyhound buses!

For instance I'd love to go to Wilmington just for the day and come back in the evening, but Greyhound only offers me the chance to get the bus at 4.45am (!!!) or at 3.20pm only. Let's say I'd take the afternoon coach, I wouldn't have any chance to come back at night cos the last coach form there leaves in the early afternoon as well!

The same applies to many other cities, such as New Bern, etc etc etc.

You could argue with me that I don't have necessarily to go back to Raleigh any night. Fair enough! The point is: I don't want to spend my whole holiday carying around my luggage like a donkey and stressing out packing/unpacking my suitcase. It's meant to be a holiday! Without a car!

It's so weird for me to understand how can either young Americans or the elderly put up with this CAR-ONLY system!

I mean, when I was just a teenager (14y.o. onwards) during the summer I used to take the coach with my mates to go to the beach (2.5 hours away) almost every day!

All my European friends (Italians, German, French, Spanish) did the same!

So how come that in the USA you're absolutely f***ed if you don't have a car or if you're not so rich to afford taxis to go anywhere?!

Sorry about my rant, I promise I will shut up now, eheheh!

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

All the best, and thanks again for your help!

Monica & Tonica

Last edited by momix76; 05-06-2009 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: wrong spelling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 08:44 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
You will need to rent a car while you are here if you want to be mobile. Europe has a great transit system. Unfortunately you will not find that here (USA). Good Luck!

Old 05-06-2009, 08:45 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,327 times
It's tough to get around here w/out a car unless you're in a big city. It certainly is a pain in the butt! You could always post an ad on craiglist.com and hire someone to drive you there and back if you can come to an agreeable pay. I've seen ads like that before...

Old 05-06-2009, 08:54 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,680,321 times
Yes, we are very dependent on our cars. Car rentals are not terribly expensive. When are you coming?

Old 05-06-2009, 08:55 PM

6 posts, read 11,168 times
I've already looked at the car-renting options. I can't do it because I don't have a credit card. And I never will, seen that I have had 2 debit cards for the last 15 years that have been working just fine!

i'll follow hula's advice though. any idea about the starting price for the daily private chauffer's rent?

Old 05-06-2009, 08:57 PM

232 posts, read 1,031,054 times
To continue with your ranting....yea you are 'screwed' if you cant drive here in the good ol US or A.

Renting a car is the only way to be mobile here. Sorry buddy, no double-decker buses here. ;-)

Old 05-06-2009, 08:58 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,680,321 times
Not all car agencies will refuse to rent to you with only debit card. You will need to ask around.

I hope you guys do come here and have a great time

Old 05-06-2009, 09:52 PM

32 posts, read 119,006 times
Trying to get around this area by bus would not be a very fun vacation. Riding the bus to get to class at UNC and NC State was a pain. It was always easier to walk than wait for the bus. Our bus system is a little screwed up. Sometimes the buses just pull over and sit on the side of the road for a while. They say it is because they are ahead of schedule or some lame excuse if you ask them why you are just sitting there.

You may want to check with AAA Carolinas to see how you could rent a car without a credit card.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:29 AM

181 posts, read 338,955 times
You need a car. Try -Triangle Rent A Car- Takes Debit cards.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:42 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
I'd pick a different city to visit that had better public transportation. For example, you'd have no problem getting around Washington DC or New York City without a car!

I had a friend come visit from Australia who didn't have a credit card - he wound up getting one as he was unable to rent a car at any of the major agencies without it. He didn't try Triangle Rent A Car, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary