Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:41 PM

137 posts, read 656,604 times

Advertisements

Cary is very "family orientated." I am 25, single, and I find Cary to be extremely boring!! (North Cary). I find myself driving to Glennwood, Hillsborough street, and the North Hills quiet often to have fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 07:54 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
For a time in my day job I hired new engineering grads from colleges across the country and moved them here. I did hear complaints from them about this area being boring for young single folks. They wanted out of the college scene, but they didn't find the singles activities that they were used to in places like Dallas, DC and Atlanta.
They pretty much agreed it seemed like a great place to raise a family but they weren't quite ready for that ...

Frank
I can't believe anyone would say that this place is a great place to raise a family but boring for singles. And I can't believe that young people out of college would want out of the college scene and would find that the, ahem 'single activities' here weren't up to par.

All sarcasm aside, I understand the complaints myself being young and single and comparing this areas to other areas that I'm familiar with. But it is a great place to raise a family, settle down and buy a home if I was into that at this stage in my life, but I'm not.

But the OP is not single so Cary may fit her quite well.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:08 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Some people carry boredom like rats carry plague. Some people manage to be proudly bored when others find wonder and interest wherever they go.
Ain't that the truth. Some are so boring, they begin infecting others. Be curious of life and boredom will never sicken thee.

As for Cary, I found I've been both bored and exhilarated. It just depends on what I have planned for a day that involves that city.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:28 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,602,345 times
Standard disclaimer: I lived in Cary for 7 years before moving to SW Durham. (since August 2007)

I would say that the community you choose to live in is important. Look at the HOA. Look at the community website. Is the community active. Don't be shy to look at a house, walk around and talk to some neighbors. Most people are friendly.

Do your homework before you make a big decision.

Depending on what you like to do for fun, Cary can be boring. We found ourselves going to Glenwood South, Franklin Street and Southpoint alot as there was not much to do in Cary other than chain restaurants and big box shopping.

You will find great neighbors and neighborhoods anywhere in the triangle. I loved my neighbors in Oxxford Hunt (Cary). But with communte time and gas prices, it is better to find a place that is convenient. Life it too short to spend it in a car.

Wow, that was longer than I expected. Is it Memorial Day Weekend yet?

Old 05-21-2009, 09:59 AM

621 posts, read 2,218,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry2 View Post
Cary is very "family orientated." I am 25, single, and I find Cary to be extremely boring!! (North Cary). I find myself driving to Glennwood, Hillsborough street, and the North Hills quiet often to have fun.
Agreed!

Old 05-21-2009, 10:43 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,405 times
I've been here a year now and will say I would agree, for a single 20 something, this area could be a little on the boring side. Overall a great place to live, but for certain activities and entertainment, you're not going to find it here.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:46 AM

42 posts, read 148,647 times
Default Not boring, not super exciting

Cary is most certainly not boring, however it is also most certainly not trendy and exciting.
I have lived in downtown Buffalo (about as exciting as downtown Raleigh) as well as the rural area of Waynesburg, PA.
Currently I am a quote "Suburban Housewife." Prior to my childbearing days I enjoined working at contemporary art museums. I like to think that Cary has a mix of generic cultural activities and offers a fairly safe and homogeneous experience for one and all. It is great for a family because everything is close and the streets are large enough to accommodate huge SUVs. If you wanted to, you would never have to leave Cary. There are art galleries, thrift stores, antique places, live musical performances, biking trails, and more good food, and more.
You won't be that bored. But if you are Raleigh offers better dining, better nightlife, and better shopping. I like to mix it up between Cary activities and parks and historic Raleigh Pullen Park and museums. The greater Raleigh area will keep you busy enough, and you will hopefully enjoy Cary as well.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:59 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
If you want to live right next to bars and restaurants, then live downtown or somewhere like North Hills and walk to them. But if you want to live somewhere quiet and drive to those, Cary is as good a place to do that as any of the other suburbs in the Triangle. It even has some distinct advantages (location, low crime, schools, etc.).

Old 05-21-2009, 03:57 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,605 times
This "is Cary boring" thing really cracks me up. The answer will be different depending on what your likes and dislikes are. We LOVED Cary when we lived there and still go there for our enjoyment. We love the eateries, parks, walking and biking trails. We are outdoorsy people and Cary is very exciting and beautiful to us. There are many more activities there than we are even interested in, including an amphitheater and artsy fartsy places. We find ourselves bored in the surrounding city downtowns, as that is not our thing. We don't do clubs and bars. Life is way too short to waste it sitting inside drinking. We much prefer to be outside, enjoying all that nature has to offer. So if you love bar hopping and clubbing, then Cary may be boring to you. If you love the many things we love, Cary will be exciting to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary