Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 07:02 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,068,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
This is a great point. I read on this forum so many times that people insist others move here only because of the media hype. I think that is bull. Some possibly do, but not all. Our story is the same as yours. We wanted this weather climate. We used a relocate weather guide. We entered in the type of weather we prefer and it spit out the mid Atlantic to southeast area. We are east cost only people and don't like Florida, so that left us with Virginia, NC, SC and Georgia. We then researched which of these areas had housing prices that would work for us and which area offered a more newly developed area that also had a diverse industry of employment. It all added up to the Triangle and we never saw any hype at all. We never knew about Forbes rating and all this stuff until after we moved. We moved without jobs. We felt comfortable doing that because we sold our home in MA at a big profit, plus had a nice nest egg and could go years without working. So to tell someone in our situation don't move without a job would be ridiculous.
Thank you and there are still many like us to come. Equity may not be as great but it is still enough for many to buy a very nice here and pay cash here. So those of you lurking and wondering up there lower your selling price a little so it sells quickly and join us if that is on your list of things to do and your financial balance sheet says go for it. You know I have heard there are people who sold up North and were able to buy two homes here. One for them and another for other family members. Now that's a big wow.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:36 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,170,969 times
Nope, this person accepted a job and THEN moved here from the midwest. I'm talking about people who moved here without a job and were able to find one, like anotherNYer.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:44 PM

820 posts, read 2,789,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Nope, this person accepted a job and THEN moved here from the midwest. I'm talking about people who moved here without a job and were able to find one, like anotherNYer.
OK, so they found the job first but it is still a recent hire in this economy since "Times have changed correct"? Isn't that really the point, or were you just being facetious when you said you were looking for a happy success story?

Old 05-25-2009, 02:59 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,068,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh1005 View Post
OK, so they found the job first but it is still a recent hire in this economy since "Times have changed correct"? Isn't that really the point, or were you just being facetious when you said you were looking for a happy success story?
I find all of this incredible. I suspect much of this thread is more about our personal feelings and what we would do and less about what someone not from here might want to do and why. Freedom of movement is a basic American right and people are exercising that. We have the right to rise and fall based on our decisions. It would appear from this thread that we are moving beyond just the Nanny State but now to the Nanny Forum.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:08 AM

306 posts, read 436,858 times
Suggesting that someone should not move to an area they are interested in without a job is a misguided premise that sometimes is built on a foundation of envy. Imagine someone being so responsible that they managed to save enough money in their life to enjoy such a freedom?
To be able to move without a job. Some people make it sound like space travel, how funny. That is the whole point of getting ahead in life financially. It affords you choices and does not force you to stay with a job or location that does not make you happy. Even if you don't have vast financial resources, take a risk, live a little. If the unemployemnt rate is 10%, do your best to be in the top 90%. The last time I looked it was not too hard to be in the top 90% of anything. It can also be very impractical to look for a job from long distance as well. Sometimes it simply makes sense to get there, set up job searching camp and move forward without any hurdles. Some of the best and most exciting experiences that I have had are when I have moved to a new city, several times without a job. Do not let fear be your greatest motivator.

Cheers.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:59 AM

116 posts, read 367,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post
If the unemployemnt rate is 10%, do your best to be in the top 90%. The last time I looked it was not too hard to be in the top 90% of anything. .
I think you are comparing apples to oranges. It's not so much that 90% of the people have a job so all you need to do is be in the top 90%. It is how many jobs are available for the 10% (plus some of the 90%) that are currently looking. I think you will find the numbers much worse.

As for moving without a job. It all depends on the situation. A single person with no kids can live on very little (rent a room, eat ramen noodles, ...). But once you have families and kids, things get very difficult.

Also remember your support network. When times are tough, family and friends can help a lot. Moving to a place without family is very difficult when you have a family of your own.

I am not saying that people shouldn't move. Just understand the grass isn't always greener on the other side...

Old 05-27-2009, 12:08 PM

69 posts, read 156,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiledog View Post
I think you are comparing apples to oranges. It's not so much that 90% of the people have a job so all you need to do is be in the top 90%. It is how many jobs are available for the 10% (plus some of the 90%) that are currently looking. I think you will find the numbers much worse.

As for moving without a job. It all depends on the situation. A single person with no kids can live on very little (rent a room, eat ramen noodles, ...). But once you have families and kids, things get very difficult.

Also remember your support network. When times are tough, family and friends can help a lot. Moving to a place without family is very difficult when you have a family of your own.

I am not saying that people shouldn't move. Just understand the grass isn't always greener on the other side...
It does depend and that is why I started the thread. People are making the statement not to move here without a job without knowing the person's situation. It is old, tiring and smacks of a bit of protectionism.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:49 PM

306 posts, read 436,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiledog View Post

First of all I was not comparing anything to anything so I am lost on the proverbial apples to oranges reference. You are using very fuzzy math in your effort. Unemployment rate is a relative concept so if part of the 90% are looking to switch jobs, then their jobs will be up for grabs so that is not statistically valid.

The point to all of this is that you can do whatever you want to do and move where you want to move. When people try to protect their precious little corner of the world because they are afraid of competition, then maybe it is time for those people to sharpen their skills. A free marketplace has a way of making adjustments for issues of growth, economics and employment.

As far as the grass not always being greener, how brown must someone's current grass be before they get the courage to make a move?

Old 05-27-2009, 02:04 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,850,144 times
I would not be so presumptious as to make assumptions about a reader's financial situation. As a recent transplant I felt a responsibility to address the urban legend that since housing is "so cheap" and taxes are "so low" that a northerner can buy a dream house & support a family working at McDonalds.

Well, That is an exaggeration.
And there is that whiff of superiority that drives the locals mad!

I want to inform those who choose to read my posts, and if a reader happens to be financially able to move without a job, that is wonderful! Welcome! Here in Wake Forest we actually need more new residents to tap into our water system to pay for it!

Old 05-27-2009, 04:44 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,399,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
As a recent transplant I felt a responsibility to address the urban legend that since housing is "so cheap" and taxes are "so low" that a northerner can buy a dream house & support a family working at McDonalds.

Hold the phone. That is exactly our situation. This is how great it has worked out for us and many others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary